IGNORED

A reminder Bristol City Woman in action after the Bansley game has finished

Wouldn't have minded watching the Vixens, but will be heading straight to the WISE for The Flyers penultimate match of the season (h v Manchester).  They then travel to Surrey on Sunday for what might be a play-off decider.  3 teams (Flyers, Surrey and Plymouth) vying for 2 play-off places.  All on same points, Plymouth play Surrey tomorrow, so will know more tomorrow evening.  Because final places are based on head-2-head, I think Flyers will need to win both, as Plymouth play bottom of the league Manchester on Sunday.  Both Surrey and Plymouth have better head-2-heads v us.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn't have minded watching the Vixens, but will be heading straight to the WISE for The Flyers penultimate match of the season (h v Manchester).  They then travel to Surrey on Sunday for what might be a play-off decider.  3 teams (Flyers, Surrey and Plymouth) vying for 2 play-off places.  All on same points, Plymouth play Surrey tomorrow, so will know more tomorrow evening.  Because final places are based on head-2-head, I think Flyers will need to win both, as Plymouth play bottom of the league Manchester on Sunday.  Both Surrey and Plymouth have better head-2-heads v us.

Haven't seen you on here in a while Fevs. Hope all is well. 

With regards to the Lady Pies, it has come as a big and unexpected shock to many. I feared this situation would arise at some stage but to announce to the club within hours of the new Series starting is poor, particularly if the majority of them (some relying on their income) were all set. Questions will have to be asked, not just in Nottingham, about the state of the Women's game as it stands today. The FA have made quite onerous demands for awarding a WSL licence (with new applications due next year) to try to prevent unworthy clubs from doing just this. I trust the Vixens are not in the same sort of trouble.

County player and former England keeper Carly Telford tweeted: 'Jobless and Homeless!' Sad state of affairs, especially as the transfer window is now shut.:(

What will the original people of Lincoln Ladies be thinking now? Their club was taken over by a 'moneybags millionaire' and shipped off to Notts, like something from the NFL. Now their history hits a terminal end.

Will deffo be watching the Vixens afterwards, even though Millie Farrow has suffered an ACL and will be out for a good while. Still, the door opens for someone else to shine.:cool: Hopefully the men's game will not dampen the spirits and the girls will have a good crowd.

COYR

COYV

You do wonder who proof reads this stuff:

Bristol City Women hope to kick off with a win against Reading Ladies FC, when they meet on Sunday, April 22 for the first game of The FA’s Women’s Super League Spring Season at Ashton Gate. Bristol24/7 spoke to Willie Kirk, head coach for Bristol City Women, ahead of the game.

45 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Haven't seen you on here in a while Fevs. Hope all is well. 

Yes, I'm fine, ta.  Joe too.

Got back from California (Disney, LA etc) this afternoon, so missed the Easter fixtures.  In fact missed the last 4 home games through work and preparing for holiday.  Back tomorrow though, and undoubtedly will be posting my thoughts.

I have been checking in most days, but having not been to games have little to post.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I'm fine, ta.  Joe too.

Got back from California (Disney, LA etc) this afternoon, so missed the Easter fixtures.  In fact missed the last 4 home games through work and preparing for holiday.  Back tomorrow though, and undoubtedly will be posting my thoughts.

I have been checking in most days, but having not been to games have little to post.

Wowzers. United States of America-land. Must have been amazing. Bet Joe and everyone had an incredible time. One day, I will make it to the Wizarding World of HP. Hubby is terrified of flying though so dunno how he'd cope with a long flight!

28 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Wowzers. United States of America-land. Must have been amazing. Bet Joe and everyone had an incredible time. One day, I will make it to the Wizarding World of HP. Hubby is terrified of flying though so dunno how he'd cope with a long flight!

Probably the best holiday I've had.  Especially as BA/Trailfinders screwed up our holiday to Florida 2 years ago.  We got our money back, hence been planning this a while.  We packed loads in, wasn't just Disney.  Caught a LA Lakers game, did some days on the beach.....ate loads, but walked most of it off.

You'll have to try the A Team method and use a tranqilizer dart on your hubby!

Harry Potter at BorehamWood is much better than Warner Bros Studio Tour in Hollywood, but can't comment on Universal because we are all wooses and don't do the hairy scary roller-coasters!

10 hours ago, eardun said:

You do wonder who proof reads this stuff:

Bristol City Women hope to kick off with a win against Reading Ladies FC, when they meet on Sunday, April 22 for the first game of The FA’s Women’s Super League Spring Season at Ashton Gate. Bristol24/7 spoke to Willie Kirk, head coach for Bristol City Women, ahead of the game.

It's Bristol 24/7. I wouldn't expect too much!

On 21/04/2017 at 23:21, Septic Peg said:

did you ever watch the A-Team they always got  BA on a flight?

I hear the manager of the women's side was disappointed with the amount of fans that stayed to watch on Saturday evening. 

Apparently just over 1k attended, not sure why he thought many more would stay, the women's game holds next to no interest to a large percentage of football supporters.

On 21/04/2017 at 20:17, Davefevs said:

Just to update that the Flyers were 'effin brilliant and resilient this weekend.

Won in overtime on Saturday night to beat Manchester Giants.  A loss would've meant sure playoff elimination.  As it happened Manchester beat Plymouth on Sunday - but that was against the odds.

they then went to Surrey knowing a win was needed.  And they got it.  A close game, a point ahead with 1 minute to go, before Hameed Ali scored 7 on the spin to see us home, leapfrogging Surrey into 7th place.

Home play off leg this Friday re 2nd placed Newcastle.

The atmosphere at the WISE on Saturday evening was unbelievable.  It is gonna be another sell-out I'm sure on Friday.

The team started the season 1-11, and have since gone 15-6, which is amazing.  I'm not sure anyone would want to play us, despite our massive underdog status.

I thought the 1100 attendance that was read out towards the end of the game was pretty good. I'll be honest though I did think more might have stayed. I was in the Atyeo so couldn't hear during the men's game, but did anyone else hear them announce that the game was on immediately afterwards?

I was also the victim for the first time of the ridiculous volume level of the PA in the West Stand! Christ it's loud! Or maybe I'm just used to the nonexistent levels in the Atyeo :blink:

1 minute ago, phantom said:

@Davefevs out of interest how many does the place hold? 

As for the ladies match, like they do with double header fixtures at cricket the main game is second. Not sure apart from regulars why anyone would want to be there until near 8pm to watch 

The WISE holds anything between 500, 570, 750 depending on your source!  It was mental on Saturday.

Some sad 46 year old (me) is there whacking the advert board and shouting 'defence' boom, boom, boom, 'defence' boom boom boom like a big kid, and also making noises when the opposition have a free throw!  

I thought the girls played very well. It's a largely all-new side that is in the top flight this season - gone are the old Vixens of two cup finals and Champion's League games. Gaffer Willie Kirk and his coaches are certainly making the side work well. Reading are a good side, although they were fighting to stay out of the drop last full season. Both teams made for a tight and intriguing game, showing plenty of good, intelligent football - which is what you want. Some will always be indifferent to the women's game, but it is what it is. I find it to be an enjoyable and attractive product. You can see the training and thinking at work - perhaps the men might take note!

The City girls played some good defensive and attacking football, particularly in the first half. Had Claire Emslie just got a bit more on her early shot and the one that hit the post not come back out then it would have been a totally different outcome. There was no gulf in class at all; City were as good as, and on occasions better than, Reading. The second half proved that there is a slender margin at the business end and Reading scored two in short succession. The third was a defensive error, but in all the Vixens will be happy with much of their performances. If they can keep it up for the coming matches then City will have a top flight team to be proud of.

Caitlyn Leach in goal handled well and confidently; Jas Matthews and Haley Ladd form a solid central defensive partnership, Chloe Arthur gave the midfield a real cutting edge, with Jodie Brett's astute passing causing the opposition problems; Chick Fergusson was an archetypal winger with chalk on her boots; young Lauren Hemp (only just 17) looked a menace and took her goal well; and Claire Emslie was a constant source of trickery and worry to the visitors. The scoreline arguably didn't reflect the overall balance of the match.

The attendance? Yes, I was wondering how they calculated that. It seems the men's game added a few to the girl's usual attendance - and maybe the other way round too! Anyway, I hope the 'new' crowd may feel inclined to watch the next Vixen's game (Tue 9th v Man City at the SGS). The girls play a commendable level of football and deserve good support.

Archived