IGNORED

Norwich v Brighton

Super

Just now, Redstart said:

Not been overly impressed with Brighton tonight - they will need to strengthen to stand any chance of staying up in the Premiership.

Hangover from sealing promotion last week v Wigan - did like the Norwich chant of 'You only score when yer sober'  :)

I expect Chelsea will be looking to loan out a promising young striker with a good goals record in the championship under his belt.

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can't see Blackburn getting much at Wolves tomorrow. A win tomorrow should see us all but safe. 

So no doubt we'll lose and Blackburn will win 11-0

Think Blackburn will win tomorrow. Wolves have nothing to play for and they have recently lost to us, Burton, Birmingham and Wigan. We simply have to do our bit and beat Barnsley and then we can all relax.

Really hope results go our way in the next  2 weeks but if It all comes down to the last game, with SC returning to BS3 ...confident Ashton Gate will be sold out. When was the last time we had a 27,000 home crowd in the Championship ?(or 2nd division)

Club record attendance at this level. perhaps ?

Atmosphere would be electric and either joy or despair at the final whistle for both sides. With the 10 k run and subsequent traffic restrictions we could see the biggest crowd of the season with the worst access and parking. Nightmare for the Police and both sets of fans travelling to the gate.

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I really have the horrible feeling the game v Brum is going to be massive for both sides 

hopefully it won't be, and only for Brum, so let's just beat Barnsley tomorrow, really looking forward to it (ish)

If it's crunch v Brum, 25k at the gate minimum 

The moment goal #2 went in I knew tomorrow would be far more important. I didn't think we should rely on Brighton back on Monday and now that's nailed on.

14 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

The moment goal #2 went in I knew tomorrow would be far more important. I didn't think we should rely on Brighton back on Monday and now that's nailed on.

I think we are all forgetting Blackburn tbf (still wayward and would hate to be that over us)

But Brum are freefalling

Now have harry though, villa v Brum is my Sky'super sunday' match 

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Think Blackburn will win tomorrow. Wolves have nothing to play for and they have recently lost to us, Burton, Birmingham and Wigan. We simply have to do our bit and beat Barnsley and then we can all relax.

But if we and Blackburn win they can still catch us, so how can we all relax?

1 hour ago, Marlborough Red said:

Really hope results go our way in the next  2 weeks but if It all comes down to the last game, with SC returning to BS3 ...confident Ashton Gate will be sold out. When was the last time we had a 27,000 home crowd in the Championship ?(or 2nd division)

Atmosphere would be electric and either joy or despair at the final whistle for both sides. With the 10 k run and subsequent traffic restrictions we could see the biggest crowd of the season with the worst access and parking. Nightmare for the Police and both sets of fans travelling to the gate.

Nowhere near. Without looking up the books as it's late at night, there are probably several over 30,000 in the 1950's and probably against the Gas. Also several at 27,000 to 29,000 in that decade.

And later of course the 27,000 plus that were there when we beat Portsmouth to go up to the First Division.

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Nowhere near. Without looking up the books as it's late at night, there are probably several over 30,000 in the 1950's and probably against the Gas. Also several at 27,000 to 29,000 in that decade.

And later of course the 27,000 plus that were there when we beat Portsmouth to go up to the First Division.

38k v Liverpool in THAT game.

10 hours ago, GILLI said:

thats the problem, if they lose tonight and have to beat us then the Amex will be buzzing next week, they'll get the trophy awarded too ... 

Too true. To make it worse, Sky are now repeatedly saying "Brighton can now win the Championship in front of their own fans and you can watch it here on Sky". OK players, that should serve as your team talk for next Saturday. Go out and show you are not there just for Brighton's entertainment.

For those who can; remember City winning at Old Trafford in 1975? The TV commentator was quite angry in his post match interview with Alan Dicks and seemed to think we should have just rolled over.

11 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

A further comment, Marlborough Red, to my hastily posted response late yesterday evening. All those large attendances I mentioned were so long ago now that there are few of us who are alive to remember them.

I suppose that we should be looking at the modern era of all seater stadia and in that respect, City's current attendances are actually looking quite reasonable considering all the facts.

We've been fighting relegation in almost all of the last seven seasons, apart from the miracle of Cotterill. 

There would have been some bumper attendances since we went all seated if we'd had more seats, but to have an average attendance this season of nearly 20,000 is encouraging. In fact one can now hear the disappointment if a gate is announced as 17,500. 

The modern method of announcing the total paying for each match, including those season ticket holders not present is strange compared with the old days. I had an ST for one season when I lived in Portugal and only saw twelve home games. So I understand the reasons why some fans but an ST but are unable to use it for every home game. But this does give a greater consistency to attendance levels that did not exist long ago when most clubs had very few seats, even fewer ST holders and attendances could fluctuate wildly from 30,000 down to 13,000 a few days later.

Considering our poor league positions in the last two seasons, and we could still get relegated, the "gate" levels give us and the club a reason to be optimistic for the future. If only we could finally perform consistenly enough to justify our status as "The largest sleeping giant in the Football League". 

Archived