IGNORED

Reading

Rossi the Robin

I work with a Reading ST holder and we have good banter, him obviously winning 

they are currently 3rd in the championship 

He says there's no real buzz on match days

Doesn't enjoy the football (boring possession at the back)

been up to the prem before and hated it apart from one really good season with Copout

Really doesn't want promotion because he knows they will be stuffed 

I would love to be Reading's position at this moment

7 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

You have to strive to be the best you can be, if not may as well not bother . In our case though, it's not a problem because we're just not very good.

I do agree in principle. 

However, I'd liken it to being a successful family business. What a great thing to strive for....

Unfortunately, getting to the premier league is more like turning your family business into Tesco and becoming a PLC. 

Childish, but I've always called Man U "Tesco" as that's a fair analogy for me. And it pisses off my sons friends. 

A team mostly for consumers, rather than fans. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

I do agree in principle. 

However, I'd liken it to being a successful family business. What a great thing to strive for....

Unfortunately, getting to the premier league is more like turning your family business into Tesco and becoming a PLC. 

Childish, but I've always called Man U "Tesco" as that's a fair analogy for me. And it pisses off my sons friends. 

A team mostly for consumers, rather than fans. 

We could be called Hargreaves Lans.... 

I can understand the OP's Reading mate's view. The PL is a bitch. It's a competition which must pay the worst teams a king's ransom just so they have fighting chance of staying in business. 

It's why I'm really not desperate for us to get there unless and until we are ready as a club. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fewer games, more defeats, higher prices, fewer Saturday 3pm kickoffs and lots of fairweather fans and temporary interest from pundits. 

Not an opinion, it's a fact. 

Certainly not the be all and end all. 

I remember there was a poll on this forum "Do you want City in the Prem"? At the time the majority of those who answered posted they would rather City were consistently strong in the Championship with a good cup run every few years. Then came the 2007 promotion (and almost another in 2008). Suddenly everyone changed their opinion to say we should go for it.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fewer games, more defeats, higher prices, fewer Saturday 3pm kickoffs and lots of fairweather fans and temporary interest from pundits. 

Not an opinion, it's a fact. 

Certainly not the be all and end all. 

Sounds like a job of work-just think of the money!

Wonder if any Leicester fans thought like that when they went up. 

Pretty much sums up my experience of Reading fans tbh.

Much like the Hull fans that we met when we came away from Wembley absolutely devastated, who were acting like they'd just won a pre season friendly. 

The Reading fan is right. Their ground has little atmosphere and is quite a plastic club. We are on the same road. Football clubs are being let down by owners who want middle class bums on comfy seats. This leads to less noise and less buzz. Without the roar of the crowd you are left with 22 men kicking around a bit of inflated plastic. 

Reading is modern football to a tee in this country, and im worried we are being pushed in the same direction by SL.  The premier league grass is certainly not greener.

4 hours ago, 29AR said:

We could be called Hargreaves Lans.... 

I can understand the OP's Reading mate's view. The PL is a bitch. It's a competition which must pay the worst teams a king's ransom just so they have fighting chance of staying in business. 

It's why I'm really not desperate for us to get there unless and until we are ready as a club. 

I have a strong feeling the journey would be a lot more exciting than reaching the actual destination.

I remember when we played Reading at home this season, they came back from 2-0 down to beat us 3-2 in the last minute... When they scored the winner, their celebration was as if they'd opened the scoring in the first minute... You could tell they werent really that excited. If the situation was reversed, there would be absolute scenes from our fans!!

Reading are everything I hate about modern football. Devoid of passion and identity with a fanbase full of horrah Henrys. I wouldnt swap places with them if it meant being like them. Sadly, I fear that this is the direction we are heading in. :(

12 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I work with a Reading ST holder and we have good banter, him obviously winning 

they are currently 3rd in the championship 

He says there's no real buzz on match days

Doesn't enjoy the football (boring possession at the back)

been up to the prem before and hated it apart from one really good season with Copout

Really doesn't want promotion because he knows they will be stuffed 

I would love to be Reading's position at this moment

Reading fans are well known for being poor at home. Newcastle Brighton reading Leeds shed wed.....all one thing in common....defensive solid football, no coincidence they are up there. Huddersfield the anomoloy.

Archived