IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Barnsley Match Day Thread

Good day everyone on match day 44 and the first time Lee Johnson will meet his old club. That should be another exciting affair then.

Barnsley, not exactly Barcelona yet perhaps over 20,000 fans will attend today's match as I understand it. Well lets see. I have nothing but the highest of admiration for all those going regardless. It just goes to prove that if you build a magnificent new set of stands to accommodate more fans they will come; City is a club that we all know deserves top flight football and all true fans are right behind what the owner is trying to achieve. The only disconnect is his poor choice of managers. Time and again he has got it wrong or he has fired the manager too soon or too late. yet of course he is far from alone; in fact he is in the majority in that most football club owners fail. By definition it will always be thus. Perhaps the law of averages though is tilting toward BCFC failing a bit too much vis a vis money invested. Most would not argue with that. Steve does not like the abuse many dish out in his direction. Neither would you or I but that is the nature of the modern game if the fans feel strongly that there is a disconnect. No doubt that will all be put to one side for the rest of the season and for the first few games into the new season and, assuming we are above half way, it should remain that way. All of that being said I believe a lot of fans have so switched off to Lee Johnson that nothing short of promotion next season will convince them that this man is an acceptable manager for the club. And I am sure he will have the tools at his disposal in the close season. 

For the remaining three matches, all against teams with the most popular first letter in the game, most calculate that 4 points should be enough to keep us up; perhaps even 3 will do. It will be a very exciting and, at times, perhaps nervous run in. I suppose we at least have that to relish or bite our nails to instead of a boring mid table end to the campaign. City are a club that rarely does mid table, certainly not in recent times.

I have to say I am running out of things to say as this dreadful season draws to a close. Perhaps I will find some inspiration for the final match and be reinvigorated come the new season but if not I will do the honourable thing and stand down; something too few people do in the game today! Enjoy the game folks. UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 10
Just now, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone on match day 44 and the first time Lee Johnson will meet his old club. That should be another exciting affair then.

Barnsley, not exactly Barcelona yet perhaps over 20,000 fans will attend today's match as I understand it. Well lets see. I have nothing but the highest of admiration for all those going regardless. It just goes to prove that if you build a magnificent new set of stands to accommodate more fans they will come; City is a club that we all know deserves top flight football and all true fans are right behind what the owner is trying to achieve. The only disconnect is his poor choice of managers. Time and again he has got it wrong or he has fired the manager too soon or too late. yet of course he is far from alone; in fact he is in the majority in that most football club owners fail. By definition it will always be thus. Perhaps the law of averages though is tilting toward BCFC failing a bit too much vis a vis money invested. Most would not argue with that. Steve does not like the abuse many dish out in his direction. Neither would you or I but that is the nature of the modern game if the fans feel strongly that there is a disconnect. No doubt that will all be put to one side for the rest of the season and for the first few games into the new season and, assuming we are above half way, it should remain that way. All of that being said I believe a lot of fans have so switched off to Lee Johnson that nothing short of promotion next season will convince them that this man is an acceptable manager for the club. And I am sure he will have the tools at his disposal in the close season. 

For the remaining three matches, all against teams with the most popular first letter in the game, most calculate that 4 points should be enough to keep us up; perhaps even 3 will do. It will be a very exciting and, at times, perhaps nervous run in. I suppose we at least have that to relish or bite our nails to instead of a boring mid table end to the campaign. City are a club that rarely does mid table, certainly not in recent times.

I have to say I am running out of things to say as this dreadful season draws to a close. Perhaps I will find some inspiration for the final match and be reinvigorated come the new season but if not I will do the honourable thing and stand down something too few people do in the game today! Enjoy the game folks. UTC.

Well written piece as always, and interesting thoughts on Johnson going forward. The one thing I don't think can be doubted in SL will back him strongly in the summer to prove wrong those who've questioned him and Johnson this season. 

Onto today, on paper our easiest game, at home to a team with nothing to play for. Brighton next week will want to win the league and put a show on for their fans and Birmingham will probably need a result against us to guarantee survival.

However, there clearly appears to be bad blood between the clubs and I'm sure they'll be a number of people from Barnsley who will take some element of joy in seeing us go down.

This will be a game similar to at their place earlier, a bit of needle. 2-2 will it be enough for us, time will tell 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I have to say I am running out of things to say as this dreadful season draws to a close. Perhaps I will find some inspiration for the final match and be reinvigorated come the new season but if not I will do the honourable thing and stand down; something too few people do in the game today! Enjoy the game folks. UTC.

just 2 points @havanatopia

1) what took you so long too post

2) the bit in bold are you sitting on the fence there?

I bought a new shirt before the Wolves match. (it was supposed to be for work, but as the weather was nice on that Saturday it got an early outing). It  is currently a lucky shirt and is washed, ironed and ready to go. Pretty sad from a 42 year old, but what would happen if I didn't wear it. Our worst fears could end up being all my fault!!

11 minutes ago, reddoh said:

just 2 points @havanatopia

1) what took you so long too post

2) the bit in bold are you sitting on the fence there?

Ref 2). Maybe Hav thinks that some managers have been fired too soon - SC could be one?

It's been discussed many times what might have been if SC had been afforded the financial backing that Lee has had.

• Like 1

It's another big afternoon, that's for sure. We may already have done enough on 48 points but I for one don't want to test that theory. 

It's a highly winnable game today against a mid table side who are out of form... exactly like the QPR game in that respect. If we match the effort and performance produced that day we should do enough. However this is City, and we rarely do things the easy way. 

I've long since given up trying to predict our results. If there's one thing we are, it's predictably unpredictable.

COYR

We need to go for the win, put our fate (somewhat) back in our own hands, let other teams (Blackburn, Forest, Brum, Wigan, Burton) worry about us rather than us have to rely on other results. There's enough pressure at this time in the season.

Let's 'tyke' this opportunity and make ourselves safe for Championship football next season.

COYR! :city:

35 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Condensed Version

Barnsley

Respect to all those going to watch us against Barnsleyona.

Apart from that stumped for words.

1-1

• Like 1

Huge game today.  If we lose and Forest and Blackburn win, then we're virtually all level with two to play, and we then have to go to Brighton and spoil their title celebrations, which I can't see happening.  Even if we are all just about level for the final match, I don't fancy our chances against Brum, especially with the return of Cotterill

For me today is very much a must-win.  A draw wouldn't be completely disastrous, providing other teams don't win, but a defeat will put us evens to go down, I fear.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Huge game today.  If we lose and Forest and Blackburn win, then we're virtually all level with two to play, and we then have to go to Brighton and spoil their title celebrations, which I can't see happening.  Even if we are all just about level for the final match, I don't fancy our chances against Brum, especially with the return of Cotterill

For me today is very much a must-win.  A draw wouldn't be completely disastrous, providing other teams don't win, but a defeat will put us evens to go down, I fear.

I agree mate.

Disappointing that Brighton did not win the title last night; was hoping they would all have hangovers next Saturday !

If we don't win today, at least we have a later kick off at Brighton, so will have a better understanding of what is required, after the other teams at the bottom will have played already.

• Like 1