IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Barnsley Match Day Thread

3 hours ago, RedSA said:

Got a feeling we might start with a bit of complacency and go a goal down. That'll wake up the Gate and we'll roar them on to a 2-1 victory. 

Well, I pretty much called it. Something about this team wants to switch off as soon as they get the chance. 

Thought Barnsley had some tidy players going forward. Kent was taking the piss out of us at times. Fortunately they seemed easier to play through at the back than us, I didn't think we had to do anything special to score, seemed like force of will got us over the line in the end. 

Just now, chinapig said:

I have no idea as I have no inside knowledge so I don't make assumptions then state them as if they were fact. For example, the improvement coincided with JP's departure but that doesn't prove a causal link. I just settle for being pleased with the turnaround.

Of course, I'm like you, also pleased with the turnaround, but I don't believe that the players suddenly decided to get wins for LJ's sake, as I said before,  they want to stay in the Championship,  it not rocket science is it, it's common sense.

6 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That's your opinion, you know I don't agree with you, LJ won't take this club anywhere, except to struggle.

Of course you won't because you seem to have more of a personal problem with LJ being manager... he deserved criticism for the form earlier in the season of course but to give him zero credit for the upturn in form is just pretty petulant and confirms my first sentence

• Like 3
Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Of course, I'm like you, also pleased with the turnaround, but I don't believe that the players suddenly decided to get wins for LJ's sake, as I said before,  they want to stay in the Championship,  it not rocket science is it, it's common sense.

Winning games isn't a choice. 

Just now, cynic said:

Behind twice in that game and still won it - that wouldn't have happened a short time ago.

LJ has eventually got them playing to their potential.....emphasis on the eventual bit.

Been a real sh1t sandwich this season.

Some substance either side surrounding a pile of poop.

Anyhow, looks like we are safe now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Magnificent given our position a month ago. 

Absolutely.

Even 2 and a half weeks ago after the shambles at Preston, I doubt anyone would have given us a prayer of being all but safe with 2 games left.

Not sure what's changed, but clearly something has and all involved deserve great credit, whilst at the same time acknowledging that to be in that position in the first place isn't acceptable. 

• Like 2
Just now, cynic said:

Behind twice in that game and still won it - that wouldn't have happened a short time ago.

LJ has eventually got them playing to their potential.....emphasis on the eventual bit.

Hoping that the (very) dark days of earlier this season have genuinely taught his some important lessons, and we can actually move forward next year.

I'm still uncertainty he's the right man, but credit to him for dragging us out of the mess we've floundered into.

I have zero doubt he'll be in charge for next season now, and that will be his third transfer window, so after that; the judgement he asked the sceptical to reserve will be made.

But for now am just relived we get to play at this level next year, and hope we can find another gem like Tammy from somewhere, as he's been magnificent, and massively important to us.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, cynic said:

The club needs an independent assessment of why this season has been such an odd one, and consider acting on the findings

But I shan't be holding my breath given the way the club is run under SL

Hope SL holds fans meeting before  Brighton game, as rumoured.  I will certainly ask some hard hitting questions of the Guernsey tax exile

• Like 1
Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Of course you won't because you seem to have more of a personal problem with LJ being manager... he deserved criticism for the form earlier in the season of course but to give him zero credit for the upturn in form is just pretty petulant and confirms my first sentence

I don't have a personal problem with LJ, why should I, I don't know the man, all I know he was an average player for City and I can see he is an average coach who cannot make his mind up what he wants to do with the players up to now. It's only taken him almost a year to find out,  is that good coaching/management?  I don't think so and I predict he will be the same next season as he doesn't seem to learn by his mistakes.  What I am saying is let's see what happens next season and I will be the first to say I was wrong if he does well, but I don't think this will happen.  We can go on arguing all day, but as he will be here next season, only time will tell. I repeat,  I have no personal problem with him, just his methods.

Amazing effort from everyone over the last few months. So happy for LJ, the players and the rest of the staff. Done a fantastic job in responding to the low point we were at. Truly impressive as it's very difficult to turn it around when low on confidence.

4 home wins in a row, 5 wins in 7. Fantastic stuff. Looking forward to being able to relax for the last two games and roll on next season. :)

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I don't have a personal problem with LJ, why should I, I don't know the man, all I know he was an average player for City and I can see he is an average coach who cannot make his mind up what he wants to do with the players up to now. It's only taken him almost a year to find out,  is that good coaching/management?  I don't think so and I predict he will be the same next season as he doesn't seem to learn by his mistakes.  What I am saying is let's see what happens next season and I will be the first to say I was wrong if he does well, but I don't think this will happen.  We can go on arguing all day, but as he will be here next season, only time will tell. I repeat,  I have no personal problem with him, just his methods.

Can I ask what specific methods you have an issue with?

If it's "tinkering", then surely he has learnt from his mistakes, as we've had an unchanged, successful starting lineup for weeks?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

If we don't find a 20 goal striker we are down. I suspect next season will be a major struggle with LJ in charge. 

Still, thank God we are safe.

Not necessarily. I believe 4 of the top 6 do not have a 20 goal striker. We got to a play-off final without one. 20 goal strikers are rare so having a better defensive record and spreading the goals around the team may be more realistic.

6 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

If we don't find a 20 goal striker we are down. I suspect next season will be a major struggle with LJ in charge. 

Still, thank God we are safe.

I understand your thinking but there is much more to being successful in this league than just a 20 goal striker . What if Matty, Milan and Flinty get 15 each and the midfield weigh in with 20 and we tighten up our defence ?

I am delighted with how Paterson's developed , we have other youngsters who are going to kick on as well . I am quietly optimistic for next season .

Still not a hundred per cent convinced by LJ but he appears to have got a grip and we have found the knack of winning at the right time .

• Like 2