IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Bs4Red

Very few still scapegoating I see.

He's going to have the 3 transfer windows, which is what he really wants to be judged on. So this summer and the first half of next season will make or break.

The least has been to stay up this season. Accomplished.

Not Johnson out or in, more realistic to know that he's not going anywhere so why moan like a bitch?!

And for those who question SL, get ******. How can anybody question the motives of a self made billionaire. *****.

Wish Lee all the best for next season, and also getting 2 wins in the next 2 games.

Very easy to forget we've never been established in this division, and I back LJ to achieve this.  He's still only a young coach, with what is it, 3 years experience?

I'm expecting Lee to develop and take us forward.  He's got my support for now, provided I don't see Preston beat us 5-0 away ever again.

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

He's going to have the 3 transfer windows, which is what he really wants to be judged on. So this summer and the first half of next season will make or break.

Not Johnson out or in, more realistic to know that he's not going anywhere so why moan like a bitch?!

And for those who question SL, get ******. How can anybody question the motives of a self made billionaire. *****.

Johnson himself said the January window was his 2nd and 3rd I believe due to the support he was given by SL?

I maybe wrong though

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

He's already said that they brought the third window recruitment forward to January because of our situation so he's had his three as such

However I have a feeling our recruitment might have been one of our major issues this season and who / why appears to be a closely guarded secret atm

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Wish Lee all the best for next season, and also getting 2 wins in the next 2 games.

Very easy to forget we've never been established in this division, and I back LJ to achieve this.  He's still only a young coach, with what is it, 3 years experience?

I'm expecting Lee to develop and take us forward.  He's got my support for now, provided I don't see Preston beat us 5-0 away ever again.

1965-1980?  I maybe a couple of years out there from memory?

That includes Div 1 btw

I'd say that was pretty established.

Fair play Lee...I really hope it works out..one thing I will say is it takes some resilience to stick it through when everyone wanted you out. Our start and end to season are promotion form, maybe after all he has been through it has been the biggest learning curve he could have had.

well done that man

23 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Still firmly in the Johnson out camp.

In my eyes its simply sheer madness to leave our clubs future in the hands of a head coach that "may improve" and "is showing signs of getting better". Its a huge risk and I wouldn't be willing to take it if I was SL. We won't survive another season like this one if LJ messes things up again.

Surely changing manager is also a risk?

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer. He's still out for me. 

Need to ask yourself, is he the man to take us up? Transfer record and game history up to April suggest not. 

If we are in the top 6 after 10 games next season then maybe the tides will have turned. Fair play for the turnaround to get us out of the relegation zone but we shouldn't have been anywhere near there to begin with. 

Who is the man to take us up in your eyes? People wanting Johnson gone seem to think we will appoint some miracle worker that will magically guide us to the Prem? We are currently 17th, a pretty standard position for us and our squad. The middle of the Championship is so close, there's little difference from 9th to 20th, in terms of squads on paper - it's a very even footing and there's no given any team will finish high - look at Villa. We've won about 2 less games than the teams above us outside of the top 8 and that's after going on a disastrous run where morale was about as low as it could be. There was no excusing that at the time but we've come through it, ending the season very well. Did you expect a play-off finish with the squad we have? It was LJ's first full season and many a more experienced manager has fell to the pressures of managing in this very competitive league. Even when in the bad run, we were rarely outplayed even when confidence was low, often narrowly edged out of games. I don't think it's been a good season but I still think there are signs of promise. The way we started the season and the way we've ended suggests we can compete, and with another year's experience (manager and players) and some additions in the summer, I don't think we're any less likely to do well under LJ than any other manager that would be within our reach. Many wanted him gone during the losing run but we could well have got rid of LJ and ended up going down anyway as other clubs that have got rid of managers have continued to struggle. There's no magical fix. Having someone that knows the club and has the knowledge of managing the squad for a full season now could be advantageous for us next season. I'd like to see some longevity at the club. I wanted it with Cotterill but it wasn't to be. Now I hope it can be LJ and we can move forwards from this season.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And almost certainly why Des Taylor left. We may never know what went on.

And I was thinking of some noises some posters were making, this week,  about astonishing 'behind the scenes 'goings on' this season

One was @billywedlock who is not a 'sensationalist' poster , and there's certainly a story behind large parts of this season somewhere !!!!

Am I on the right lines Billy - 'Recruitment' ?     ;)

Here's Johnson's record compared to previous managers (doesn't include today's win). Consider the fact that all games have been in the second tier.

I'm still not convinced he is the right long term solution myself, but this will be inconvenient reading for some. It certainly doesn't fit the "clueless" caricature.

IMG_4995.PNG

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Surely changing manager is also a risk?

Another transfer window and a fresh campaign ahead?  I think it's time.  The results bother me less than the odd recruitment to be honest.  How much money did we have on the bench, or, out on loan?  More than all of our teams have cost in total in the past I would guess.

Deserves credit for the beginning and the end of the season, deserves criticism for the fact that we were in the situation of having to go on this run at the end at all just to keep our heads above water.

The two statements above are inextricably linked, and you can't agree wholeheartedly with one without completely ignoring the other, as much as some on both 'sides' would like to.

Rightly or wrongly he'll be here for the start of next season, but to have any chance of maintaining the goodwill that does still remain, he simply has to start well and show real signs that next season isn't going to be more of the same. Personally I'm unconvinced to say the least, but we shall see.

Yet another wonderful thread repeating everything from the last 3 months. There's 2 games left and one point needed and then whether you're for him or against him, it'll be job done and time to take stock and learn lessons. And before anyone else posts a we want our club back rant, take a walk around Ashton Gate and look how far its come from the days when it wasn't really  that much better than the cow sheds at the Memorial Stadium. The foundations look in place. Let's hope they are  built on and next season they achieve a level of consistency that was missing this time around.

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Funny old game isn't it. Two spells of playoff form interspersed with one of the most appalling runs a club could experience! 

Lets face facts - he's very much going to be in for the start of next season. 

Time to draw a line under this season and move on. 

Absolutely spot on

It's been a really tough season for LJ and for the fans.  However I do believe that he will come out of this difficult period a better manager.

Here's hoping anyway. 

Well played City, great effort and attitude second half. Now let's build on this for next season.

19 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Who is the man to take us up in your eyes? People wanting Johnson gone seem to think we will appoint some miracle worker that will magically guide us to the Prem? We are currently 17th, a pretty standard position for us and our squad. The middle of the Championship is so close, there's little difference from 9th to 20th, in terms of squads on paper - it's a very even footing and there's no given any team will finish high - look at Villa. We've won about 2 less games than the teams above us outside of the top 8 and that's after going on a disastrous run where morale was about as low as it could be. There was no excusing that at the time but we've come through it, ending the season very well. Did you expect a play-off finish with the squad we have? It was LJ's first full season and many a more experienced manager has fell to the pressures of managing in this very competitive league. Even when in the bad run, we were rarely outplayed even when confidence was low, often narrowly edged out of games. I don't think it's been a good season but I still think there are signs of promise. The way we started the season and the way we've ended suggests we can compete, and with another year's experience (manager and players) and some additions in the summer, I don't think we're any less likely to do well under LJ than any other manager that would be within our reach. Many wanted him gone during the losing run but we could well have got rid of LJ and ended up going down anyway as other clubs that have got rid of managers have continued to struggle. There's no magical fix. Having someone that knows the club and has the knowledge of managing the squad for a full season now could be advantageous for us next season. I'd like to see some longevity at the club. I wanted it with Cotterill but it wasn't to be. Now I hope it can be LJ and we can move forwards from this season.

Do you think he'll take us to the next level? Based on his transfers this year, do you trust him to sign and attract a quality striker to replace Tammy? It's taken until mid April to get a fairly decent grasp on our best 11. 

Its nothing personal on him but for all the shit talked about 'premier league ambition' and 'premier league stadium' we're now saying we should be happy with 17th and celebrating staying up again?

Preston, Huddersfield, Brentford - all spent much less than us and look at the seasons they've had. 

No question he'll be here around Christmas time but I'm not going to be shocked if we are still talking about LJ out/in debates then because of performances on the pitch in 6/7 months time. 

29 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Very easy to forget we've never been established in this division, and I back LJ to achieve this....

I wouldn't agree with that, in our history we've spent 49 seasons in the second tier of English football - more than we've spent in any other division....

Football did exist before 1992 when the renaming of the four divisions started, but there are still four divisions, and we've been in the second for nearly half a century in total...

Bottom line - he's avoided relegation with two games left. Pretty good job you might say.

However, given the resources at his disposal we should never been anywhere near the DZ.

its like having an employee who messes up a job but then manages to repair the mess he made.....

42 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

At the end of the season there will surely be a proper post mortem on why we struggled so badly, any how this season was to be honest 'so horrible'. 

After today's game he said on radio Bristol that mistakes had been made, and they will be addressed. 

I admire SL for not pulling the trigger and we might well emerge better and stronger for it, but the evidence will be in his 'third transfer window' that he has always said it would take to get where we want to be.  It will be interesting to see developments this summer. 

SL has already indicated the result of a post-mortem, if any. 

Still want LJ out. His football is generally poor, erratic and without logic.

Just now, Shtanley said:

Johnson and SL in. Good on him for sticking by his manager in an age of constant managerial change.

Well done, if the objective for this season was simply staying up. 

The bigger question now is - is he right for next season?

Despite a woeful season LJ endured many critical statements (many of them personal) and has seemingly found a way of playing players in their preferred positions and motivated them enough to all but secure our championship status. 

A few weeks ago In was firmly in the LJ out camp, I could see no way back to secure our Championship Status but he seemingly never doubted his ability to turn things around. He has fought long and hard to be able to walk round the pitch this afternoon and clap the fans despite many of them calling for his job. I was impressed by this gesture and thought it a good measure of the man.

Whilst I still believe he has some serious questions to answers regarding squad rotation, our leaky defence and atrocious shooting ability I do actually believe he has earned the right to at least start the next season and prove to the fanbase that he has learnt from the errors he has made this season.

I would like to think that the majority of fans feel the same way....as other posts have said had this have been a new manager we would all of been banging on about how good a choice he was. (I have my tin hat on in preparation).

LJ - please do not embroil us in a third successive relegation battle...I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the fanbase will be less forgiving next season if we start dropping points here, there and everywhere.

Additionally please do all you can to hold on to TA......without him this season your fate would have been sealed months ago.

Archived