IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Bs4Red

56 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

12 games or so since losing at home to Fulham when I wanted him gone.

Credit where it is due, we've been top 10 form since then, we'd be hailing a new manager a hero if he'd picked up those results. I dare say we've picked up more points in the last 12 games then Blackburn have under new manager Mowbray and Forest have under new manager Warburton too.

The question is then, what changed?

What changed? We lost 5-0 at Preston and the players were told they had to refund the fans. That's what changed.

Just now, petehinton said:

Do you think he'll take us to the next level? Based on his transfers this year, do you trust him to sign and attract a quality striker to replace Tammy? It's taken until mid April to get a fairly decent grasp on our best 11. 

Its nothing personal on him but for all the shit talked about 'premier league ambition' and 'premier league stadium' we're now saying we should be happy with 17th and celebrating staying up again?

Preston, Huddersfield, Brentford - all spent much less than us and look at the seasons they've had. 

I can't say I think LJ is the man to take us to the Prem as there's no guarantee of it. However, I like him, think he's a good fit for the club and has shown his ability as a manager and will benefit from the experience of this season. You never know in football. I wouldn't say he's got any less of a chance than anyone else we would appoint. I'm tired of sacking managers every year only to repeat the same process over and over and over. LJ's had one bad run (it was bad!) but has come through it and what he's done before and after it has given me cause for hope.

Of course there's PL ambition within the club, it gets said before every season. It's not an easy feat to achieve though and most clubs in the division will be saying the same before seasons start, it's probably the most competitive league in the world, 90% of teams are of similar ability and close in size. It's small margins.

I hope longevity can work in our favour. The opposite hasn't helped us in the past. We have a young manager who has shown promise, has shown that he's still learning but has turned it around when the pressure was so high. That takes character, especially when so inexperienced at this level. He knows the club well and I don't think there's a quick fix that will magically get us promoted. I'm hopeful and I believe he can take us forward. Obviously I can't guarantee it, I'm just a fan but I don't think not having LJ would guarantee anything either.

He may have just about managed to keep us afloat but....

He should still have gone months ago! What has gone on this season is unforgettable and should never have happened. Therefore anyone trying to justify his position at the club and say what a great job he has done in keeping us up is talking b0ll0cks!!!

Today is a relief in terms of all but confirming our championship status as well this season now being over!

But whoever said it was correct, he will be here for the new season come what may which is a disappointment.

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Well done, if the objective for this season was simply staying up. 

The bigger question now is - is he right for next season?

We can still finish reasonably far away from the bottom 3 and an improvement on last season, we've certainly built a stronger squad and our young players pool is definitely much better. He's my man for next season. I'll certainly be more of a critic next year as it won't be his first at this level.

Was very much Johnson out a few weeks ago. However, he's kept us up (even though it was him that put us in that position) and I'm prepared to give him another chance and put this season behind us. Could have so easily gone wrong but if we're prepared to blame him for a loss, we have to praise him for a win and lately it's been good going. Probably the luckiest manager in the league so let's hope he can transfer that luck on to the pitch and give us a top 10 finish next season. 

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I'm hoping it was ironic.

If not some of our supporters will just lap any old shite up.

I should imagine they were taking the piss out of the Barnsley fans chanting 'LJ is taking you down'

Two games left, the sky is not falling and we are effectively safe - that GD will help us out come what may.
Well done Lee, hope you've learned some valuable lessons and hit the ground running next season.

:clap:

Just now, bcfcfinker said:

I should imagine they were taking the piss out of the Barnsley fans chanting 'LJ is taking you down'

Two games left, the sky is not falling and we are effectively safe - that GD will help us out come what may.
Well done Lee, hope you've learned some valuable lessons and hit the ground running next season.

Even I admit we're safe, lets rain on Brighton's parade and then stuff 'arry.

46 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Who is the man to take us up in your eyes? People wanting Johnson gone seem to think we will appoint some miracle worker that will magically guide us to the Prem? We are currently 17th, a pretty standard position for us and our squad. The middle of the Championship is so close, there's little difference from 9th to 20th, in terms of squads on paper - it's a very even footing and there's no given any team will finish high - look at Villa. We've won about 2 less games than the teams above us outside of the top 8 and that's after going on a disastrous run where morale was about as low as it could be. There was no excusing that at the time but we've come through it, ending the season very well. Did you expect a play-off finish with the squad we have? It was LJ's first full season and many a more experienced manager has fell to the pressures of managing in this very competitive league. Even when in the bad run, we were rarely outplayed even when confidence was low, often narrowly edged out of games. I don't think it's been a good season but I still think there are signs of promise. The way we started the season and the way we've ended suggests we can compete, and with another year's experience (manager and players) and some additions in the summer, I don't think we're any less likely to do well under LJ than any other manager that would be within our reach. Many wanted him gone during the losing run but we could well have got rid of LJ and ended up going down anyway as other clubs that have got rid of managers have continued to struggle. There's no magical fix. Having someone that knows the club and has the knowledge of managing the squad for a full season now could be advantageous for us next season. I'd like to see some longevity at the club. I wanted it with Cotterill but it wasn't to be. Now I hope it can be LJ and we can move forwards from this season.

Agree completely. Even at the most basic analysis it's better the devil you know. Our statistics over the last games stand up pretty well and you have to say that Lee Johnson hasn't buckled despite being under extreme pressure and on the receiving end of some pretty vile verbal abuse. He will have learned from all  this and the team are beginning to gel at last. I can't see how a newcomer who doesn't know the team is going to keep the momentum going. Johnson in.

Just now, Meryl Goodrum said:

Agree completely. Even at the most basic analysis it's better the devil you know. Our statistics over the last games stand up pretty well and you have to say that Lee Johnson hasn't buckled despite being under extreme pressure and on the receiving end of some pretty vile verbal abuse. He will have learned from all  this and the team are beginning to gel at last. I can't see how a newcomer who doesn't know the team is going to keep the momentum going. Johnson in.

I agree

11 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Was very much Johnson out a few weeks ago. However, he's kept us up (even though it was him that put us in that position) and I'm prepared to give him another chance and put this season behind us. Could have so easily gone wrong but if we're prepared to blame him for a loss, we have to praise him for a win and lately it's been good going. Probably the luckiest manager in the league so let's hope he can transfer that luck on to the pitch and give us a top 10 finish next season. 

How does a top 10 finish next season fit in with Europe in 4 more seasons? 

2 minutes ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

We will see what we will see, I personally believe that next season will mirror this season, optimism, huge slump, plucky fight back another year wasted, I see nothing in LJ's CV that shouts out consistency.

I actually hope a) He has learned b) His signings are better c) He strengthens the right areas of the squad, because I would love him to be the one to bring stability and hopefully eventually challenging for the big prize, I just can't see it personally, I hope I am wrong.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We will see what we will see, I personally believe that next season will mirror this season, optimism, huge slump, plucky fight back another year wasted, I see nothing in LJ's CV that shouts out consistency.

I actually hope a) He has learned b) His signings are better c) He strengthens the right areas of the squad, because I would love him to be the one to bring stability and hopefully eventually challenging for the big prize, I just can't see it personally, I hope I am wrong.

In terms of point b, Mark Ashton and our new chief scout need to take equal responsibility for this. 

6 minutes ago, cityironman said:

I'm as happy as a pig in shite tonight because of my love for Bristol City Football Club. Unfortunately i cannot bring myself to give any credit for this to Lee Johnson, he has caused me much stress in the recent past!

argh :)

He starts with a clean slate next season for me. And whether people like it or not, he will be here.

I'm not sure he will be here at the end of next season but I hope he is because it should mean he has progressed the side. I'm not expecting promotion but if he can improve the squad and get us towards the top 10 then I will be happy enough.

I do understand the criticism he has had from many but the abuse I've seen from some is unacceptable. 

So well done LJ on doing the bare minimum this season but next season you must do better.

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

I think this man deserves a thread of his own. Now I have been very much LJ in all season and many disagreed but what a tough man to go through the results he has and come out the other side. The last 6 weeks we have played some unbelievable football and have started to show what LJ has been working towards all season. 

I know many dislike him etc but I really hope people will see the transformation of this team and that not only the players but also LJ has begun to learn from his mistakes. We have improved on last season and although slightly disappointing we can now build for another season in the championship 

YOU REDS

I'm amazed how a few gutsy performances against some other poor teams can somehow rewrite a season. He's here to stay so I will judge him on this summer window and next season, but stop with all this nonsense. 

I'm over the moon that we have somehow managed to stay up by the skin of our teeth, but please let's us view this terrible, terrible season for what it was and don't forget, he was the manager of the team and that was his side.

Just now, Red Army 87 said:

In terms of point b, Mark Ashton and our new chief scout need to take equal responsibility for this. 

I never buy into that, LJ should put forward a wish list in order of priority, MA should see with SL if they can make it happen and the new chief scout should have a list of alternatives + a list of players released, in their last year of contract and up and coming youngsters, the manager should always have the power of veto.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I never buy into that, LJ should put forward a wish list in order of priority, MA should see with SL if they can make it happen and the new chief scout should have a list of alternatives + a list of players released, in their last year of contract and up and coming youngsters, the manager should always have the power of veto.

My guess would be, LJ tells MA what is needed, maybe some suggestions. MA takes that to the scouting team and they source some players. This is presented back to MA and LJ and they go to SL for final sign off. My view is that this happens well in advance and actually the club will know ideally what players they are trying to buy a window or 2 in advance.

so I agree with your point, but I don't think LJ is the only cog in the wheel to bring players in. 

23 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Interesting point about the goal difference. If we get smashed 5-0 at Brighton and Blackburn win, say, 3-0 at home to Villa, the goal difference would be wiped out on the final day if Blackburn won again and we lost to Birmingham. Not to put a dampener on a good day!

Archived