IGNORED

Jeff Stelling today

22A

45 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

He's a right plastic. Not been to a game in years.

34 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Isn't that because he works Saturdays?

I like his passion for his club. But that's abuse of position.

I was going to say the same thing finbarr. He works Saturdays hosting Soccer Saturday. Perhaps he makes the odd Tuesday game? 

He is also the clubs President, hardly makes him a "plastic" supporter now does it.

51 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

He's a right plastic. Not been to a game in years.

How the hell can you be a 'plastic' Hartlepool Fan ????????

What a ridiculous comment

The two things just don't correlate :blink:

Plastic Man U / Chelsea / Arsenal etc etc

Plastic Hartlepool  ????

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Plastic Hartlepool  ????

He's just in it for the glory. 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Feel sorry for him - good bloke and a proper fan - loud and proud about supporting Hartlepool

Cant see them getting back up too easily either if they drop

Remarkable escape by Newport tbf

Aint over yet but let's hope they don't follow Darlington into oblivion.

With South Shields having money pumped in ( there in the fa vase final) and a new ground in prospect  who knows what's ahead for the Pool.

Hate to see any side with the history leave the leagues but as the Imps have proved today even after 5 or 6 years out there's always a way back.

Given the right owners of coarse:blink:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Plastic Hartlepool  ????

Read it again and see if you can get the joke 

19 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

What joke?

You just blatently said he was a "plastic" supporter despite the fact hosting Soccer Saturday prevents him from going. He is the clubs president ffs, hardly makes Jeff a "Plastic" now does it.

Read it again. Try and work it out 

12 hours ago, 22A said:

He wore his heart on his sleeve at the end of today's broadcast.

He praised the Orient fans who went to Crewe and declared "They are real fans supporting their team in it's hour of need". When the full time result came in confirming Orient were down he stated the owner had reduced the club, London's 2nd oldest professional club, to non League in just13 months.

Then when Newport & Hartlepool's results came in confirming 'pool had dropped into the bottom two he exploded. "Dave Jones, nothing personal, but you are out of your depth at this level; just go"! Then he turned to the Chairman; "If he won't go.sack him! If you want me to resign as club President, I will do, just get rid of him before next week"!

I bet Pools superfans did not like that!

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

We all realise he supports Hartlepool, but an outburst like that was not correct on a show where he is supposed to be impartial.

He's a passionate football fan don't have a problem with it.

Just now, glynriley said:

Interesting choice for sure. He's a local lad though isn't he (?) so that might just be enough to get some passion into the players for the last couple of games.

Think he is. Nothing to lose really as they were going down under Jones anyway. I just noticed that all the final games kick off at 5.30 on 6th May. Absolutely ridiculous!

6 hours ago, Dave said:

We all realise he supports Hartlepool, but an outburst like that was not correct on a show where he is supposed to be impartial.

During the game yes, he should try to be a bit more impartial and on the whole he does. In this case it's majorly different. Game was over, tables published, let him have a thirty second opinion as a fan, no different to Thompson when asked about Liverpool, or Le Tiss on Saints.

He is entitled to his opinion, but that show is there to present football scores as they happen to all football supporters.

I enjoy the show, and Jeff presenting style, but feel this oversteps the mark, we all know what teams the panellist support, but it is there job to at least appear impartial.

I think Sky did change policy a few years ago, and they do not cover their own Teams anymore.

Jeff went ballistic when Hartlepool was playing at Orient a week ago.

The link to the young lady summariser at Brisbane Road was so funny I had to play it back to my wife.

Their poor striker missed an easy chance from 2 yards. Jeff must've had a monitor feed as he exploded at the miss. The summariser started her brief report by saying even her gran could've scored it. After her summary, Jeff, who was being assessed for incredibly high blood pressure or should have been, asked the summariser if her gran was available next week and if she was, to go and get some boots. 

As a former training officer in interviewing techniques and who then made a career in radio presenting, Jeff is different to most. He is professional and funny about the game in his presenting as are a lot of others. However, whilst a few posters think he's overstepped the mark and I can understand why they think this, it has to be remembered that football is a passionate game. It is also tribal in so many ways. The fact he's a loyal Pools fan and not a Premier league team is admirable.

However, we have to remember this is a football and not a politics show. Had Jeff been the Newsnight presenter leading up to a local or even the general election and had gone on a rant about his favourite political party losing such and such seat then it's a different matter, not least from the Ofcom rulebook. 

Sky need to make money from selling advertisement packages. BT try to do a similar show as does the BBC. It's a simple format with 3 choices for the viewer. 

Jeff sells advert spaces. Sky are happy. He's not rude, crude or lewd nor does he make his colleagues feel unwanted, useless or patronised. 

In a TV age where there are hundreds of wannabees who could do a professional job for Sky on a Saturday, I think it's great that there is a Jeff who wears his proverbial heart on his sleeve and because of this gets his colleagues to join in with the banter.

Jeff is different to Jason on the Beeb who is also very professional and good at his links. To me the BBC's Final Score is like buying a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra....they're both good cars but they aren't a Golf.

Hopefully Jeff will be around another few seasons before he drives off in a Golf to play golf!

Not only is he a great character, but he's unbelievable at his job too. He lights up Saturdays from 12-6 for anyone who's glued to SSNHQ for the goals as they come in. 

Just need to look at the difference between Soccer Saturday and the Tuesday/Wednesday editions for the champs league. 

Will be a sad day when he retires. 

Archived