IGNORED

Average Attendance (Merged)

JasonM88

6 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I've gathered that..

If the Brum game was us needing points to stay up on last day it would be close to a sell out

The fairweathers seem to come out when it means something 

Not necessarily "fairweather", maybe just people who can't commit the time or money to go every week but will prioritise an important match.

The top tier being opened indicates that the Birmingham game is already guaranteed to be well over 20k.

Another point on attendances; it appears the club have pitched ticket prices about right, at least in terms of revenue-generation.

I still think £41 top-price ticket in the Lansdown is too much, as are tickets in general, but to achieve an average of 19k, after such a poor season, is terrific. I'm not convinced the average would have been significantly higher had prices been a bit cheaper; our largest attendances this season (Villa, Newcastle) were due to the opposition, not the ticket price. The Blackburn ticket offer increased the gate but did not have a drastic impact on the attendance (21.5k).

Just imagine what the attendances might have been like at this point of the season if we were in the play off hunt. It's the current fashion to bash the club for anything and everything off the pitch, but in terms of growing attendances and increasing the fanbase, they are clearly doing something right.

I think that as it's the last game of the season, regardless of needing something from it , we will sell a few more tickets. 
As I understand we have sold more than the Barnsley game and add that to an away sellout  the gate should be 21k at least, and that makes 19k average. 
I think that is outstanding support, and of late vocally it has been brilliant too. The guys who organise the flag etc deserve a pat on the back , and everyone in that section too. The rest of the ground has joined in to make the latter part of the season really enjoyable at the Gate. To average 19k in this fuckaweful season is impressive, for it to be that high following on from last year relegation fight also makes it impressive.

Next season could be telling, has confidence been hit enough to really impact on ST's , time will tell

While I agree with many that prices are a bit high, it's difficult to argue the point too much with our highest average attendance in decades. They have got so much right with the ground, fan park and catering , it will be interesting to see how the club develops. The simple fact that ever since the new parts started to open they had people going around to look for ways to improve (corporate speak alert) the match day experience. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just imagine what the attendances might have been like at this point of the season if we were in the play off hunt.

Exactly this point was discussed yesterday, it is very difficult for teams without parachute payments to do it , but not impossible. The only way to continue to build now is to have a good season next year. (ignoring all the on field stuff for a while). We probably need to start well , after a good summer, just to get a lot of lost confidence back. By that I mean the fans confidence in the team, a good start and consistent year is the only way now to push for even higher next year.

19k average is brilliant, but it would be great to average 20k plus next year and have such a season we could be calling people glory hunters 

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our average crowd is, well, pretty average for a City the size of ours...

Whilst that is true, would it kill you to acknowledge the impressive growth in attendances this season inspite of poor performances, in a city that has never really been a football "hotbed"?

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our average crowd is, well, pretty average for a City the size of ours...

Firstly a very good post by 1960maaan.

Secondly BS4 is right that for a city of our size, we are below other similar cities. But that is because of our lack of success over many decades.

So, in spite of a dreadful season again on the pitch, we will average over 19,000, the highest average since the First Division days of 1970's.

Green shoots visible? I believe so but we need to have a significant and consistent improvement on the pitch for us to make the next step up to an average of 25,000.

Please note SL & LJ.

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Won't a 23,500 crowd v Birmingham push that average up to over 20,000..?

With the top tier open, it won't be a millions miles away from that and will certainly push it up over 19k average. 

Having a 19.5k attendance vs Brum will push the average to 18,999 - We will beat this. A 23.5k crowd would push it up to 19,173.

I did predict 20k + but then I thought we would finish way up the table.

Breaking through the 19k barrier would be truly remarkable given the largely awful football Lee and his clan have served up. We must all salute the fans who have been to home and away matches in their hundreds of thousands.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Breaking through the 19k barrier would be truly remarkable given the largely awful football Lee and his clan have served up. We must all salute the fans who have been to home and away matches in their hundreds of thousands.

Agree with that, we could have added a couple of thousand on to that figure quite easily 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Considering some of the shocking results, it is truly impressive. It shows the hunger for success.

This will be our highest average attendance since 1979 when we were last in League One (Premier).  That is impressive and testament to effect that the quality of a "new" stadium/facilities have rather than the quality of the team.  Although saying that, if we were safely in mid table with nothing to play for would the attendances be so high for the last few games?

20 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Higher away attendances next year from the big boys now that they have the Atyeo to themselves, there are a few that will fill it.

We're vacating the Atyeo of City fans to reduce stewarding costs - it doesn't follow City will increase the away allocation.

Championship clubs are required to give 2,000 tickets to away fans - or 10% if capacity is under 20k. - and some stick rigidly to that.

City already exceed that number.

Increasing away allocations will, of course, increase stewarding and police costs while decreasing home advantage so let's hope City have ruled out such a daft and unnecessary move.

8 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

With so many lifelong loyal fans boycotting games next season along with all those not renewing their season cards, I would expect attendancies next season to be well down - we may even struggle to get to 10,000. :facepalm:

I don't think that's who the club need to worry about (though I expect ST sales to be lower when we kick off in August than last August). It's the new stadium - new support that I hope we haven't lost.

Build it and they will come.

Build it and play shit and they will go away again.

11 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

With so many lifelong loyal fans boycotting games next season along with all those not renewing their season cards, I would expect attendancies next season to be well down - we may even struggle to get to 10,000. :facepalm:

I think you're wrong, despite the thinly veiled sarcasm... and poor spelling. 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We're vacating the Atyeo of City fans to reduce stewarding costs - it doesn't follow City will increase the away allocation.

Championship clubs are required to give 2,000 tickets to away fans - or 10% if capacity is under 20k. - and some stick rigidly to that.

City already exceed that number.

Increasing away allocations will, of course, increase stewarding and police costs while decreasing home advantage so let's hope City have ruled out such a daft and unnecessary move.

I think away allocations will be the same as this season. Max 2,700. Away fans to be put in the middle of the Atyeo with netting either side and also netting on the first 5 or so rows of the stand to stop any young bucks from entering the playing surface. That's my guess.

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think away allocations will be the same as this season. Max 2,700. Away fans to be put in the middle of the Atyeo with netting either side and also netting on the first 5 or so rows of the stand to stop any young bucks from entering the playing surface. That's my guess.

That makes far too much sense

Archived