IGNORED

Steve Lansdown's decision...

Redtucks

The players and manager deserve praise for digging themselves out of a very deep hole after Preston, but they themselves dig that very hole.

Lansdown showed some "balls" by backing his man against seemingly overwhelming pressure and in the immediate term it's been the right call.

I suspect that this situation won't be allowed to happen again, and after what will obviously be a mass change in personnel over the summer, Johnson will be under no allusions that he needs to prove to the owner he is capable of delivering.

If he continues to pick a settled side with two strikers I'm all for him staying. I don't think Johnson is a bad person just lost his way in the middle of the season and started tinkering and over complicating our tactics. If he keeps it simple his possession based brand of football is very pleasing on the eye and I think we could have a very good season. Need to improve the striker and wing back positions though as a matter of urgency.

13 hours ago, cynic said:

SL decision totally vindicated.

SL indecision nearly vindicated. 

Come on , Lansdown's last interviews , in particular with Twentyman , had me very worried.

On Player he looked completely shot and incoherent. He has always seemed so confident and assured before .

I thought he was frozen like a rabbit in the headlights and instead of acting simply did nothing and looks to have got away with it .

IMHO he should never have hired LJ at this early stage in his career . Although full credit to LJ for keeping his head above water, it was a huge risk for the club . 

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

SL indecision nearly vindicated. 

Come on , Lansdown's last interviews , in particular with Twentyman , had me very worried.

On Player he looked completely shot and incoherent. He has always seemed so confident and assured before .

I thought he was frozen like a rabbit in the headlights and instead of acting simply did nothing and looks to have got away with it .

IMHO he should never have hired LJ at this early stage in his career . Although full credit to LJ for keeping his head above water, it was a huge risk for the club . 

Why? He clearly is uncomfortable with being interviewed and possibly never got his comments across well but it seems a number of people went overboard and misinterpreted his comments like he was blaming the fans when he did no such thing... He basically said that everyone is entitled to grumble and criticise if the team put in a bad performance but just get behind the lads for the 90 minutes...

With LJ, you maybe right about the gamble and risk but to be fair he has actually a half decent win % record at this level despite the abysmal run through the winter months, nowhere near hopeless as some seem to think. We can hope that LJ has learned from the mistakes he has made and continue to improve as manager while pushing us up the league next season.

So I also feel that Lansdowns decision to back LJ was vindicated, it took some guts to stick with but right now it seemed the correct thing to do rather than pressing the panic button and looking for a new manager

I do not believe SL has been vindicated in his decision IF you take the premise that Johnson was brought in to achieve success. If his raison d'etre is to save us from the drop each year then those saying SL called it right are also right.

Anything other than play offs next season I think should be deemed reason to change.

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I do not believe SL has been vindicated in his decision IF you take the premise that Johnson was brought in to achieve success. If his raison d'etre is to save us from the drop each year then those saying SL called it right are also right.

Anything other than play offs next season I think should be deemed reason to change.

He said he wanted European football within 5 years didn't he? Johnson that is. If that's the case he's one year down and in the next 4 years he needs to get promotion and then top 5/6 in the Prem, so next season promotion, year after that avoid relegation, year after that mid table, then the last year top 6..... yeah sounds very realistic.

I hazard a guess that in 4 years time we'll either be a mid-table Championship team or we'll be back in League One, I'd love to see SL and LJ prove me wrong but it's about as likely as me marrying Emilia Clarke.

The last Lansdown interview to me gave the impression that LJ was on the brink of being sacked a couple of times but crucially won the next game. If we'd lost to Huddersfield I think the axe may have been swung and the closest to him being sacked was the Wolves game, the day of the interview itself. If we'd lost that game for me Lansdown would have sacked him. The team has kicked on from there.

Hoping now LJ will replicate Fergie at Manure who himself was supposedly a game away from being sacked had he lost the fa cup semi against Oldham. 

Just my thoughts

2 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

The last Lansdown interview to me gave the impression that LJ was on the brink of being sacked a couple of times but crucially won the next game. If we'd lost to Huddersfield I think the axe may have been swung and the closest to him being sacked was the Wolves game, the day of the interview itself. If we'd lost that game for me Lansdown would have sacked him. The team has kicked on from there.

Hoping now LJ will replicate Fergie at Manure who himself was supposedly a game away from being sacked had he lost the fa cup semi against Oldham. 

Just my thoughts

Very pedantic but it was a third round tie at Forest wasn't it

And Fergie had some CV by then !!!

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

IF he is fighting to save us from the drop next season. give him the old heave ho then. Is the Premier league closing shop next season or something? Maybe there is something in being patient after all. All this optimism is probably because i thought we were going down and were not, maybe. but after shouting about LJ a bit, I'm all for giving him next season.  would love others like me to too

11 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I wasnt saying that, just the fact LJ has gotten us out of a pickle with promotion form twice in just as many seasons, whos to say he couldnt have done the same with Barnsley had they kept him? 

We have no Kodja to sell next time, in fact we lose our top scorer and get nothing in return......so back to the blackboard for LJ it is then; as many of his signings aren't getting a look in .....what now?....please Steve can I have some more ummmm money?

It can be no co incidence that our form improved since SL visited and no doubt read the riot act to players and management......so there it is Steve give LJ your job/money and you have his job (I`m sure you can work a tombola machine better)....sorted.

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

IF he is fighting to save us from the drop next season. give him the old heave ho then. Is the Premier league closing shop next season or something? Maybe there is something in being patient after all. All this optimism is probably because i thought we were going down and were not, maybe. but after shouting about LJ a bit, I'm all for giving him next season.  would love other like to too

round and round we go are folk blind? or just have short memories

22 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Just an observation….....

Many on here a few weeks ago felt that Lee Johnson should be sacked and a majority of them called for Steve Lansdown to go and get Gary Rowett.

Steve Lansdown stuck with what he had, and Derby County employed Gary Rowett instead.

Since then Derby have played 7 games, won 3, drew 2 and lost 2, gaining 11 points, scoring 11 and conceding 12.

They have not won in their last 3 games.

During the same time Bristol City have played 7 games, won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2, gaining 13 points, scoring 13 and conceding 12.

We have not lost in our last 4 games.

As I said, just an observation!

Absolutely.

I'll enjoy next season. All 46 games.

Just now, glos old boy said:

You're concinced we are gonna be shit under LJ next season? OK , I've no problem with that, that is your choice.  dont call me blind or whatever ive seen a lot of football, and i've had the balls to give the club some credit

do you know something ? WE F==king stayed up

Setting aside for one moment who was responsible for creating the mess and just focusing in on the last few weeks, hats off to SL for not weakening his resolve and keeping his nerve when under enormous pressure. Not only that, but for not 'hiding' when the pressure was most intense and fronting up the media. Respect. 

Interesting that all those in the mix for relegation did 'twist' rather than 'stick'.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

You're concinced we are gonna be shit under LJ next season? OK , I've no problem with that, that is your choice.  dont call me blind or whatever ive seen a lot of football, and i've had the balls to give the club some credit

do you know something ? WE F==king stayed up

Save giving your credit to the club for when we really deserve it. Staying in this division is, in my opinion, not worthy of any credit. If we set the bar that low then all talk of ambition is pretty laughable!

Just now, cityironman said:

Save giving your credit to the club for when we really deserve it. Staying in this division is, in my opinion, not worthy of any credit. If we set the bar that low then all talk of ambition is pretty laughable!

You think the Championship is low .then fair play to you

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Not at all, I have a very long memory, it's just that I spend every day feeling happy, positive and optimistic about life. Happy Clappy f ucking Central mate, it's a great and very healthy place to live!

Close to all local amenities, public transport links, cafes, pubs, schools, etc...

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Uh, no unless you dont recognise when someone is joking

Oh so Lee was joking when he said it?!! Obviously my mistake. Seems a strange thing to joke about though, especially when your chairman has stated his ambition to get us to the premiership!! It is just another example of him needing to think about the repurcussions of what he is going to say before the words actually exit his mouth!

3 minutes ago, cityironman said:

Oh so Lee was joking when he said it?!! Obviously my mistake. Seems a strange thing to joke about though, especially when your chairman has stated his ambition to get us to the premiership!! It is just another example of him needing to think about the repurcussions of what he is going to say before the words actually exit his mouth!

I can put my ******* house on it, mate. he was joking and whats the ******* big problem with that?

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

I can put my ******* house on it, mate. he was joking and whats the ******* big problem with that?

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive in your response? If he was genuinely joking then the big problem with that is it was a very unprofessional thing to do. If you say something in jest then it means that you don't think it can happen, probably not the best idea no matter how unlikely it is

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Holy ******* shit, ive gone from LJ outer to LJ sticker upper in about 4 weeks,is it?  :laugh:

Yes, your conversion hasn't gone unnoticed! One of a very few that seems to have changed sides. It's interesting as the arguments seem to get most of us into more entrenched positions and probably getting more extreme as we defend our stance (while actually being less certain than we look).

Your flexibility based on changing evidence is a good example to follow.

Archived