IGNORED

Villa v Birmingham

Red Army 75

Just listening to Harry Redknapp interview on BBC West Midlands.  He clearly doesn't know any of his players.  Could only name his goalie....and "we're missing a centre forward".  But, he "couldn't ask for more from his players".  Blah blah, usual manager talk.

I've always thought he got his success by spending a lot of money (Spurs and Portsmouth).  I'm not sure he's the right person for a three game fight.

The last games of the season could be absolutely massive and we get to play a part in it without any pressure to win.  I still don't think QPR are safe after Skeletor's comments last night and six defeats in a row.

9 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Just listening to Harry Redknapp interview on BBC West Midlands.  He clearly doesn't know any of his players.  Could only name his goalie....and "we're missing a centre forward".  But, he "couldn't ask for more from his players".  Blah blah, usual manager talk.

I've always thought he got his success by spending a lot of money (Spurs and Portsmouth).  I'm not sure he's the right person for a three game fight.

The last games of the season could be absolutely massive and we get to play a part in it without any pressure to win.  I still don't think QPR are safe after Skeletor's comments last night and six defeats in a row.

I never thought it was a good appointment.

SC on his own could have been and could well be still. He'll know more about that squad and I don't think he needed Redknapp hand holding.

Said at the time HR seemed like a marquee last roll of the dice but really without any logic: no transfer window, no dressing room reliables/enforcers he relies upon (Defoe, Crouch, Krancjar), no Joe Jordan, long time out of coaching, long time away from this league, no commitment to the club.

I predict it is going to be Brum dropping.  

Just now, 29AR said:

I never thought it was a good appointment.

SC on his own could have been and could well be still. He'll know more about that squad and I don't think he needed Redknapp hand holding.

Said at the time HR seemed like a marquee last roll of the dice but really without any logic: no transfer window, no dressing room reliables/enforcers he relies upon (Defoe, Crouch, Krancjar), no Joe Jordan, long time out of coaching, long time away from this league, no commitment to the club.

I do believe it's going to be Brum dropping.  

A lot of City fans would have happily traded Redknapp for LJ at some point in Jan, Feb or Mar.  Myself included if I'm being honest.

But then I heard his interview after joining Birmingham:

"I've gone in there said I will come and do it. The money I am not interested in. I got fed up sitting around doing nothing. I will come and live up here until the end of the season. If I can keep them up then we can sit down and talk about going forward."

Doesn't exactly sound like a man who's kept up with the day to day fluctuations of the Championship let alone Birmingham.  Or someone who's got any interest in the club if they do slip in League 1.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Still think it's gonna be Blackburn as I don't think they will get enough points themselves

Can see Brum being saved on final day by Blackburns failures

I think it depends on Villa - if Villa help out Blackburn and Huddersfield need the points and want some form going into the playoffs then we will have an interesting last day.

13 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

You really have to wonder how hard Villa will try against Blackburn....

My long shot saver if needed, is if Blackburn and Brum both win narrowly next week, and we do not get hammered at Brighton, then a draw between us and Bham should keep both of us up. My warped mind still can work out scenarios where we are not safe quite yet!

41 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Surely Sky will now pick our game as one of their two last day live games won`t they?

I would be surprised if they don't. Our game and probably whoever Blackburn are playing . Think every thing else will be completed by next weekend, okay offs etc

Just now, daored said:

I would be surprised if they don't. Our game and probably whoever Blackburn are playing . Think every thing else will be completed by next weekend, okay offs etc

Blackburn are at Brentford so if they are going to take one from the bottom it has to be us surely, what with `arry and all. If they pick one from the top end then probably Wednesday v Fulham I guess.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

If Birmingham don't win their next game they can't catch us as their goal difference is massively worse than ours

What if we've lost 4-0 at Brighton?  I think Birmingham would only have to win 0-3 at ours?

I hate maths especially when it involves football...

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Blackburn are at Brentford so if they are going to take one from the bottom it has to be us surely, what with `arry and all. If they pick one from the top end then probably Wednesday v Fulham I guess.

I suspect that come the final day, there will be nothing to play for in the top half - the drop-off in form for Leeds, coupled with Fulham coming screaming out of midtable should see the only thing to play for being who plays who in the playoff semifinals, which will mean Fulham and Wednesday will see their best players rested up.

Don't necessarily think that means our game will be on telly, but get the feeling it'll be one of the more interesting games, and have a weird feeling Brum will begin the final day in the relegation zone.

Just now, Chivs said:

What if we've lost 4-0 at Brighton?  I think Birmingham would only have to win 0-3 at ours?

We are at -6, Blackburn at -15, and Birmingham -22. I can certainly imagine scenarios where with a hammering at Brighton Blackburn could over haul us, but less so Birmingham. If we lost by 5 at Brighton and they beat Huddersfield by 3, they would still need to do us by five at our place due to us having scored more goals. 

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

It's only Blackburn that we need to worry about.  As long as we finish above them, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.  The goal difference between us and Blackburn is currently 9 goals in our favour.

We would need to lose both games and they would need to win both to get above us.

Using your two possible results, if we lose 4-0 at Brighton and Birmingham beat us 0-3 then Blackburn would need to win their remaining games 2-0 and 1-0 to get above us.

Basically, it's not going to happen.

Just now, cityexile said:

We are at -6, Blackburn at -15, and Birmingham -22. I can certainly imagine scenarios where with a hammering at Brighton Blackburn could over haul us, but less so Birmingham. If we lost by 5 at Brighton and they beat Huddersfield by 3, they would still need to do us by five at our place due to us having scored more goals. 

While it's not mathematically out of the question we could pop into the relegation zone, I've enough faith in us that we can avoid the two 3/4 nil thrashings (coulped with two large Blackburn wins) that would leave us weeping into our cider in the final day.

Despite the concerns over our visit to Brighton on Sat, we could end up just being witnesses to their trophy reception, as the Newcastle have to get two wins and a draw, and Brighton get nothing in their final two - and think Newcastle will lose one of their next two.

That situation might work in our favour; might not.  Either way, nice to be able to play two games needing just not get smashed twice to stay up!

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Yeah, I was confusing Blackburn and Birmingham's goal differences.

Just now, Xiled said:

It's only Blackburn that we need to worry about.  As long as we finish above them, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.  The goal difference between us and Blackburn is currently 9 goals in our favour.

We would need to lose both games and they would need to win both to get above us.

Using your two possible results, if we lose 4-0 at Brighton and Birmingham beat us 0-3 then Blackburn would need to win their remaining games 2-0 and 1-0 to get above us.

Basically, it's not going to happen.

I don't think any of those game results in isolation are impossible or even unlikely.  That they all fall that way together.... ? :pray:

I'm just saying that one or both of Brum and Blackburn losing next week will give me a week of calm!

Just now, samo II said:

That situation might work in our favour; might not.  Either way, nice to be able to play two games needing just not get smashed twice to stay up!

Just that one headed goal by Flinty has taken nearly all the pressure off.  The difference between getting a draw against Barnsley and us beating them has put us out of the relegation scrap in any scenario but a mathematical possibility.

Just now, Xiled said:

Just that one headed goal by Flinty has taken nearly all the pressure off.  The difference between getting a draw against Barnsley and us beating them has put us out of the relegation scrap in any scenario but a mathematical possibility.

What about Tammys equaliser and Patto's lob? 

Flints header would have been a consolation goal without those two.

Just now, Chivs said:

Yeah, I was confusing Blackburn and Birmingham's goal differences.

I don't think any of those game results in isolation are impossible or even unlikely.  That they all fall that way together.... ? :pray:

I'm just saying that one or both of Brum and Blackburn losing next week will give me a week of calm!

Stick a fiver on us losing our last two games and Blackburn winning their last two.  The winnings will buy a few beers/ciders to dull the pain.  And even if the results go like that, it's still unlikely that the goal difference across the four matches will go in Blackburn's favour by 10!

12 minutes ago, cityexile said:

You're way over thinking things to be honest . The two point gap will be enough for brum . They're both shite 

14 minutes ago, cityexile said:

In the Birmingham scenario wouldn't they have more points than us so goal difference wouldn't come into it?

Just now, Robbored said:

What about Tammys equaliser and Patti' lob? 

Flints header would have been a consolation goal without those two.

Yes, but you can say that about any goal that gave us a win during the season (when the result was us winning by a one goal margin).

I was highlighting how important it was for us to win the Barnsley game.  I didn't see Flinty's goal coming as I thought we were going to see out the game at 2-2.  The whole team played well so they all deserve credit for yesterday.

Archived