IGNORED

Villa v Birmingham

Red Army 75

Just now, Xiled said:

Yes, but you can say that about any goal that gave us a win during the season (when the result was us winning by a one goal margin).

I was highlighting how important it was for us to win the Barnsley game.  I didn't see Flinty's goal coming as I thought we were going to see out the game at 2-2.  The whole team played well so they all deserve credit for yesterday.

Flint has had some criticism this season, but it is fitting he got that goal - 50+ appearances for us this year, which must be one of if not the highest number for any player.

Only his sixth season as a pro; think he's a very valuable player for us.

Although any one of Birmingham, Nottingham Forest, QPR, Burton, us or Blackburn could get relegated we only need to stay above Blackburn to ensure it isn't us.  As long as they don't overtake us it means the worst we can be is fourth from bottom.

Our game against Birmingham is almost certainly going to be a sideshow for us but could be very important to them.

11 minutes ago, samo II said:

Flint has had some criticism this season, but it is fitting he got that goal - 50+ appearances for us this year, which must be one of if not the highest number for any player.

Only his sixth season as a pro; think he's a very valuable player for us.

Very few world class centre backs in the Championship - I think some of our fans have an unrealistic expectation of a player we paid £300k for.  A few mistakes of course but he has been almost ever-present since Cotterill's arrival.  And his goals have often come at crucial times.  If he is attracting interest from bigger clubs then I would be gutted to see him leave but would never question his commitment over the last 4 years.

8 minutes ago, samo II said:

And a few others, I'd suggest, Aston Villa fans included!

Funny how many neutrals have singled them out as the club that would be good to see relegated!

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

I never thought it was a good appointment.

SC on his own could have been and could well be still. He'll know more about that squad and I don't think he needed Redknapp hand holding.

Said at the time HR seemed like a marquee last roll of the dice but really without any logic: no transfer window, no dressing room reliables/enforcers he relies upon (Defoe, Crouch, Krancjar), no Joe Jordan, long time out of coaching, long time away from this league, no commitment to the club.

I predict it is going to be Brum dropping.  

Tough ask for anyone, coming in with just two games to do something. 

It's squeaky bum time at Small Heath and - as I've never liked the club - I'd be delighted if we relegated them. :fingerscrossed:

Just now, Xiled said:

Very few world class centre backs in the Championship - I think some of our fans have an unrealistic expectation of a player we paid £300k for.  A few mistakes of course but he has been almost ever-present since Cotterill's arrival.  And his goals have often come at crucial times.  If he is attracting interest from bigger clubs then I would be gutted to see him leave but would never question his commitment over the last 4 years.

Funny how many neutrals have singled them out as the club that would be good to see relegated!

Flint is very well regarded in this league; we absolutely will see interest in him this summer - if Wednesday don't go up, I expect them to renew their interest.

And I think Brum sacking the well-liked Rowett when well placed in order to put a 'name' in charge has made a few wish for their owners' decision to be proven the wrong one.

Me; I have a close friend who is a Villain, so am bias, but also think that the ludicrously named 'Trillion Trophy Asia' might learn a little humility having to play the likes of Walsall and Shrewsbury at home, and I get the feeling they'll have a hell of a lot of teams like those mentioned licking their lips at hosting them.

16 minutes ago, samo II said:

Flint is very well regarded in this league; we absolutely will see interest in him this summer - if Wednesday don't go up, I expect them to renew their interest.

And I think Brum sacking the well-liked Rowett when well placed in order to put a 'name' in charge has made a few wish for their owners' decision to be proven the wrong one.

Me; I have a close friend who is a Villain, so am bias, but also think that the ludicrously named 'Trillion Trophy Asia' might learn a little humility having to play the likes of Walsall and Shrewsbury at home, and I get the feeling they'll have a hell of a lot of teams like those mentioned licking their lips at hosting them.

And there will be one away ground at least where it will really sink in how far they have fallen!

46 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Although any one of Birmingham, Nottingham Forest, QPR, Burton, us or Blackburn could get relegated we only need to stay above Blackburn to ensure it isn't us.  As long as they don't overtake us it means the worst we can be is fourth from bottom.

Our game against Birmingham is almost certainly going to be a sideshow for us but could be very important to them.

Since our match at Brighton is a 5.30 kick-off we might know we are OK before we play the match. If it's still not certain, the players have to be told a defeat by one or two goals is OK. The only way we can get caught is if we have another Preston-like performance.

5 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Interesting to see if not having Joe Jordan will have an effect with Redknapp. With him and Cotterill, they have two people with good track records so can't imagine it will be a problem, but he's bound to be a loss to his coaching set-up.

Remind me of when Cotterill has had a good record in the Championship

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Remind me of when Cotterill has had a good record in the Championship

I didn't say specifically Championship but in his defence at Championship level he managed 3 seasons at Burnley on a limited budget and finished mid-table, kept Forest up in a relegation battle. With us we struggled but that was due to our awful summer transfer window more than his ability as a manager.

Just now, JHAGa said:

I didn't say specifically Championship but in his defence at Championship level he managed 3 seasons at Burnley on a limited budget and finished mid-table, kept Forest up in a relegation battle. With us we struggled but that was due to our awful summer transfer window more than his ability as a manager.

You didnt, but his record in the Championship is the record that is relevant.

Every spell in the Championship, Cotterill has presided over more defeats than wins.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

You didnt, but his record in the Championship is the record that is relevant.

Every spell in the Championship, Cotterill has presided over more defeats than wins.

The last bit isn't relevant though. The Championship is a difficult league, just because you've lost more than you've won doesn't mean he hasn't done alright at this level. Three seasons at Burnley and kept Forest up. He hasn't been outstanding or a massive success but he certainly isn't out of his depth. I don't see anything harmful in what I originally wrote. Redknapp and Cotterill do have good track records.

5 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

The last bit isn't relevant though. The Championship is a difficult league, just because you've lost more than you've won doesn't mean he hasn't done alright at this level. Three seasons at Burnley and kept Forest up. He hasn't been outstanding or a massive success but he certainly isn't out of his depth. I don't see anything harmful in what I originally wrote. Redknapp and Cotterill do have good track records.

I never suggested there was anything harmful in what you put, or that Cotterill is out of his depth.

I just don't think he was the right person for them to bring in.

As for Redknapp- utter fraud who only does a good job when he has big money to spend/waste

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If they can get tickets of course ;)

won't anyone think of the thousands of Sags locked out 

I have worked out that I have been locked out at over twenty million games should have brought a ticket.

What is interesting after the weekend, where Brum lost and Blackburn fought out a 00 at Wolves, is that Blackburn are capable of getting a draw from a game whereas Brum just appear to keep losing (bit like City during out bad run).

Blackburn are now 2 points behind Brum with a better goal difference, they no longer need a win, two draws, two points, fighting for their lives, could be possible, Brum lose at home to Huddersfield next game mean they will need to beat us to stay up while we will be safe.

Could be a fantastic season closer at Ashton Gate, the way tickets are going it could be close to being a sell out.

Archived