IGNORED

Genuine Question

allyolly

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Tomlin stopped playing?

Certainly done us some favours in some areas - certainly a part IMHO

Totally disagreed with SLs backing of LJ , but you have to wonder whether the players realised that with LJ not going anywhere they needed to get their heads down

Or did the players just decide that they needed to pull together ?

4-4-2 has definitely helped

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Certainly done us some favours in some areas - certainly a part IMHO

Totally disagreed with SLs backing of LJ , but you have to wonder whether the players realised that with LJ not going anywhere they needed to get their heads down

Or did the players just decide that the needed to pull together ?

4-4-2 has definitely helped

I think it's a bit of everything, Patterson was roumoured to be one of the trouble makers, but if that was true clearly him and LJ have cleared the air.

Relations in the squad generally appear much better, the reasons behind that few of us will know, but it has also been a key contributor to our performances.

We will struggle whole playing such expansive attacking football. No place for Tonkin now unfortunately.

We need to play solid compact football in order to succeed. Won't happen. Cant see SL  giving LJ the same leway next season if we start to slip.

Season of struggle.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Seriously with LJ still in charge and no Tammy, then a season long struggle against relegation awaits. Sheff.Utd & Bolton both likely to do well, so only whoever comes up from League 1 play offs likely to be going back down. So realistic finishing position 20th if we are lucky.

#JohnsonOutNow

Mods can we pin this post for austerity? 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Seriously with LJ still in charge and no Tammy, then a season long struggle against relegation awaits. Sheff.Utd & Bolton both likely to do well, so only whoever comes up from League 1 play offs likely to be going back down. So realistic finishing position 20th if we are lucky.

#JohnsonOutNow

you obviously can't read!

Well a strong squad with a few additions needed, 15m+ signings and a 25 goal striker got us just above the drop zone.

Team half dissembeld now, 15m+ of signings on the bench/nowhere & no 25 goal striker + a smaller budget will get us... :bonkers:

Impossible to answer as there are too many unkowns

So what DO we know:

1 LJ will be i/c

2 SL will be the same as will BS

3 This is LJ's final window to get the squad ready for promotion,  according to him when he arrived

4 We are only 4 years off playing in Europe !

5 The Board will remain toothless and unrepresentative 

What we don't know 

1 Who will be leaving

2  Who will be joining

3 what the transfer budget will be

4 Whether LJ has learnt the lessons of this season and can up his game, and if he can't whether SL will finally act

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Impossible to answer as there are too many unkowns

So what DO we know:

1 LJ will be i/c

2 SL will be the same as will BS

3 This is LJ's final window to get the squad ready for promotion,  according to him when he arrived

4 We are only 4 years off playing in Europe !

5 The Board will remain toothless and unrepresentative 

What we don't know 

1 Who will be leaving

2  Who will be joining

3 what the transfer budget will be

4 Whether LJ has learnt the lessons of this season and can up his game, and if he can't whether SL will finally act

Genuine question re point 3. Did he say ready for promotion or the squad being where he would want it to be?

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

#JohnsonOutNow

Why are they both likely to do well?

When considering the initial question i suppose I consider two scenarios...

With Johnson my expectations are fairly low. I'd suggest acceptable with him as head coach is somewhere between 13th-16th. 

I'd want a different manager to do better though. If you look at some of the other squads in this league (Burton, Huddersfield) and the way their managers have them performing is tenfold better than ours. In short I'd have more confidence if someone else were in charge. 

4 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Think Burton will be this seasons Rotherham if I'm honest . Other strugglers could be Bolton and the play off winners, and have a feeling Barnsley and Cardiff will struggle. For us I think mid table would be acceptable but more likely lower mid will happen.

I always look at form in the second half of the season as an indicator for the next (look at the seasons before our last 2 promotions, for example). As such I think Cardiff are a very good play off bet. 

Regretably!

35 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Be prepared for another relegation battle then.

Edit, that's if we stay up this season as it's not over yet.

Each to their own but I don't think I've ever seen you post anything other than negativity and criticism.  I would find something else to do if my leisure time made me feel like this! 

We should be looking to knock around midtable, putting the odd mini-run together to get our fans looking at 6th place, and probably losing the odd few to get our fans looking at 22nd. In the end, not seriously threatening to displace either. That would represent progress.

Another season gone by, and another season of championship experience for some core players such as Smith, Pack, Bryan, Flint etc etc. That is a positive, and if we recruit sensibly and strongly we should easily achieve midtable.

Our mid season run of 14 defeats in 15 was so unbelievably terrible. Strange to think that if we had even just picked up a few draws and one odd win in that run (which would still have constituted a terrible one) the extra 6 or 7 points would have put us comfortably midtable and sitting in around 13th or 14th. Such a position would probably have been seen as a semi-successful season. Ah well. 

55 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

We should be looking to knock around midtable, putting the odd mini-run together to get our fans looking at 6th place, and probably losing the odd few to get our fans looking at 22nd. In the end, not seriously threatening to displace either. That would represent progress.

Another season gone by, and another season of championship experience for some core players such as Smith, Pack, Bryan, Flint etc etc. That is a positive, and if we recruit sensibly and strongly we should easily achieve midtable.

Our mid season run of 14 defeats in 15 was so unbelievably terrible. Strange to think that if we had even just picked up a few draws and one odd win in that run (which would still have constituted a terrible one) the extra 6 or 7 points would have put us comfortably midtable and sitting in around 13th or 14th. Such a position would probably have been seen as a semi-successful season. Ah well. 

I'd agree with that! Another season in The Championship is the most significant point for me. If the club aspires to ever get to the 'top table', and facilities wise we are so close now, we cannot keep yo-yoing between The Championship and League One. Be good to see City use the loan system again if possible to bring young Premier League talent to the club to supplement our squad, and as has been said elsewhere, Johnson's much reported '3rd window', and the players who move in and out will be interesting. I'd take tangible progress and comfortably mid-table now.

Archived