IGNORED

New LJ poll

The Humble Realist

New LJ Poll now we 're safe....ish   

694 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted the third option, although I still have my reservations. But on balance I now think the benefits of continuity and a coach who knows the squad intimately now outweigh the benefits of yet another change with no guarantees that a new manager would do any better.

Johnson will have learnt a lot this season. Those who continue to claim he is "clueless", "out of his depth" and the like appear to base their opinion solely on the very poor spell in the middle of the season whilst completely ignoring his capable management at the end of last season, the beginning of this, and this late part of the season. LJ has a win % at this level as good as any recent manager - even his Dad - which would appear to be an inconvenient truth for some. Following yesterday's win, he now has more wins than defeats overall. He has underachieved this season, but if we finish 17th that's not a million miles from the midtable finish most of us predicted. I'm also willing to give SL credit for sticking with him when most of us would have got rid (myself included). That decision now appears vindicated for this season at least, with recent form that we would have been lauding had the new man we wanted achieved it.

Is he the long term solution to lead a play off push? Doubtful to say the least. But I'd stick for now.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Think the second option is basically that or at least how I interpreted it when I took that option. 

It was the 'no worse' that was the problem !!!! 

'No worse' would be , IMHO , a shocking target to set - we will survive by the skin of our teeth this season 

Voted the third option but would go with Bob's suggestion. There simply has to be an improvement next season, I'm not demanding playoffs or anything like that but the minimum has to be a comfortable midtable finish that doesn't involve us looking over our shoulder for big parts of the season, we've had that for 2 years running now and it's not enjoyable. 

Between 3 and 4 for me. His losing streaks at all 3 clubs he's managed are a major worry along with the very poor man management etc etc so not confident for next season really . Whereas getting rid at the end of the season and appointing Rosler or Alex Neil I'd fill a lot more secure in our future . 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

No one can seriously vote the 5th option.

oh yes they can, sack him now he`s going to go eventually so why prolong the long drawn out pain.......but don't let SL pick the next one. though

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Be a bit pointless if he was sacked now... 2 games to keep us 'safe' and no real to time to evaluate the squad? genius move.

Bit like the strange situation at Norwich currently

Alan Irvine filling in until end of season when new coach will be appointed

In meantime they've brought in a guy from Huddersfield , Stuart (something) who is currently 'assessing' all the players and will make 'recommendations' to the new coach when appointed 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bit like the strange situation at Norwich currently

Alan Irvine filling in until end of season when new coach will be appointed

In meantime they've brought in a guy from Huddersfield , Stuart (something) who is currently 'assessing' all the players and will make 'recommendations' to the new coach when appointed 

Surely if City went down that route themselves it would've been after the Fulham game though. Pemberton to take control while bringing in someone who could make those recommendations.

Lansdown backed LJ to the hilt during that run, I wouldn't think he'd sack him now or the end of the season after an upturn in form

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Surely if City went down that route themselves it would've been after the Fulham game though. Pemberton to take control while bringing in someone who could make those recommendations.

Lansdown backed LJ to the hilt during that run, I wouldn't think he'd sack him now or the end of the season after an upturn in form

Oh no , wasn't suggesting such , anything but

Was just pointing out the current situation at Norwich which all seems a bit strange - can only think they have someone lined up whose in contract until end of season or are eyeing someone up in that regard , otherwise why wait until end of season

Should be another choice......

no point in voting as SL has made his choice and Johnson will be in charge as long as he wants him and I don't have a say but would like him out ASAP but don't really want another year of struggle just to  I get my wish so I'll just stick to supporting my team and see what happens 

Although I guess that may be too long to put as choice 6.  :read:

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It was the 'no worse' that was the problem !!!! 

'No worse' would be , IMHO , a shocking target to set - we will survive by the skin of our teeth this season 

True it could use some revision. We aren't far from that anyway. We see out two of the who knows how many games we lead and we are about 14th at least. It's a real shame we had that horrid run because of we'd have even been average over that stretch we'd probably be a top 12 team. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Be a bit pointless if he was sacked now... 2 games to keep us 'safe' and no real to time to evaluate the squad? genius move.

but a new man would get all summer to get a squad together......aint gonna happen in real life......same again next season it is then, but without Tammy ...SL will stick with his man lets see where that takes us shall we.

I was torn between 3 and 4. Then I remembered how indifferent I still feel at the moment. 

I'm pleased for SL that his loyalty seemingly paid off for now(with the emphasis on 'for now') but I can't sum it up any better than @Benjam!n Ultra said above, he shouldn't get any praise for getting us out of the shit position we should have never been in in the first place.

And that's not even considering some of the most embarrassing constant public dressing down of players that I've ever seen and never want to see at this club again. 

Let's be honest the majority are contented though not overly happy following survival. There are massive red flags for next year, no Tammy, goals conceded still too high, lack of width and massive inconsistencies. He is going to be under pressure from game one, if there's a poor August, the clouds will be back and pressure will be sky high again.

Archived