IGNORED

Barnsley's second goal

Luxo Jr.

I know Bailey Wright is getting most of the stick for this (fair enough really, dreadful pass), but I think the midfield have so much more to answer for.

Smith's out of position, way up the pitch, tries to track back a bit but is clearly giving up by the time they've made it to the box.

Pack - What is he doing? At first it looks like he's coming over to cover Smith, then he sort of saunters past to go somewhere where nothing was happening. I wasn't watching the whole match, but that clip just looks like pure laziness unfortunately.

Because of this Flint was completely exposed, and had to make a rash decision that I can't really blame him for making - he didn't have much choice.

Ok, so we're attacking at this point and are likely to be vulnerable on the counter attack, but it's the lack of effort to retrieve the situation that gets me. The reason why people forgive Flint for occasional poor choices is because those decisions are normally honest mistakes rather than poor attitude. 

Anyway, we won, overall I'm happy, move on. Just fancied a vent of frustration since I wasn't at the match.

8 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

Said on another thread that little and pack could both have taken a yellow card and stopped that attack

Pack already on a yellow would have been off. Given his assist for the 2nd and his overall excellent linking of defence to attack, that  would have cost us the game probably. 

9 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Pack - What is he doing? At first it looks like he's coming over to cover Smith, then he sort of saunters past to go somewhere where nothing was happening. I wasn't watching the whole match, but that clip just looks like pure laziness unfortunately.

Because of this Flint was completely exposed, and had to make a rash decision that I can't really blame him for making - he didn't have much choice.

Not sure how Pack gets any blame here? You say he saunters past to nowhere. Not sure what you're watching there to be honest. 

He's tracking back, the Barnsley players 2nd touch takes the ball away from Pack, Little should be easily making it a 50/50 ball but is too slow. Pack sees that the ball is going away from him and that Little is likely to make a challenge so he takes a slight movement to the right to cover toward the centre. Little doesn't get there and Pack is at least 5 yards away from the ball carrier. How is he supposed to tackle the player from 5 yards away? 

Long and short of it is that Little should've made a challenge. Then, once clear, Flint should NEVER commit himself to a challenge that far from his own goal. 

Pack carries zero blame. Not entirely sure why you think he does. 

Oh, and he played a 9 out of 10 performance. Again. Been our best player (along with Patterson) in our recent upturn in form. 

17 minutes ago, Tiree said:

I know our midfield looked slow but in summary of earlier posts; we had most of the team in their half and moving forward becuase B-W was unopposed and due to lauch a long ball deep into their half.

Pack couldnt afford another booking, i dont blame Flint for the rash challenge AND it was a cracking finish. But, hey ho they score one good one and we score three goals (Hoddle-esc pass from Pack for our 2nd) and win the game send the Tykes home wishing they will finish as high as us next season and what's not to like?

They had an amazing away record but come up againt THE form home team. Not quite Fortress Ashton yet but signs are good for next season

Korey Smith even

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Not sure how Pack gets any blame here? You say he saunters past to nowhere. Not sure what you're watching there to be honest. 

He's tracking back, the Barnsley players 2nd touch takes the ball away from Pack, Little should be easily making it a 50/50 ball but is too slow. Pack sees that the ball is going away from him and that Little is likely to make a challenge so he takes a slight movement to the right to cover toward the centre. Little doesn't get there and Pack is at least 5 yards away from the ball carrier. How is he supposed to tackle the player from 5 yards away? 

Long and short of it is that Little should've made a challenge. Then, once clear, Flint should NEVER commit himself to a challenge that far from his own goal. 

Pack carries zero blame. Not entirely sure why you think he does. 

Oh, and he played a 9 out of 10 performance. Again. Been our best player (along with Patterson) in our recent upturn in form. 

On reflection, and having watched it with new information, you're probably right about Little. Still I would give some blame to Pack there. He's the furthest back of the two central midfielders, and the move goes straight through the middle. 

I guess most of my frustration is with how slow/sluggish he seems to look there. The issue for me isn't that he doesn't try and make a challenge when a few feet away, it's that he didn't make more effort to try and get closer than a few feet away. I just thought he could have run quicker, got tighter, try to slow things up a bit.

Agreed with your other points though, and the fact that he was already on a yellow does explain a lot.

It's fair to critique the midfield a bit (and Lord knows they've been culpable for some bad defensive work across this season), but tbf to them here, Barnsley broke with pace and purpose, and we simply couldn't have stopped them (especially that shot...) without fouling them; the passing and movement was top notch.

As someone pointed out; taking out the player and potentially losing a man could have been worse for us than going a goal down - I cast my mind back to the Sheffield Wednesday away game when we lost someone while holding a goal lead on them, and ended up pointless.  Always have a chance at a goal down and with even teams.

Archived