IGNORED

St George

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Didn't know if I should of posted it in football  or not . Why is no one proud of St. George's day  . Celebrations down the lions today . Do other people celebrate it . Or is it a shameful day to some . Thoughts

Listen to Ian Hislop's programme about him on Radio 4Xtra yesterday and you'll understand. He wasn't English, he was a Roman soldier from Turkey and was adopted as patron saint of umpteen places.

Those right wing groups who have appropriated the flag would want him kicked out of the country if he was alive today. Oh the irony.:whistle:

Just now, chinapig said:

Listen to Ian Hislop's programme about him on Radio 4Xtra yesterday and you'll understand. He wasn't English, he was a Roman soldier from Turkey and was adopted as patron saint of umpteen places.

Those right wing groups who have appropriated the flag would want him kicked out of the country if he was alive today. Oh the irony.:whistle:

So u don't celebrate you're patrons day . 

17 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Grosvenor and Robins also celebrating St Georges day. Several hundred at the Robins for a scooter club St Georges day celebration. City in obvious attendance ... Proud to celebrate.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Although it is correct that he wasn't English. He was from what is now Turkey and is also the patron saint of Georgia.

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

So u don't celebrate you're patrons day . 

I wasn't aware it was compulsory, but if you listen to Hislop's programme you will find few people do and most couldn't tell you the date. It seems to have much less significance than St Patrick's day does to the Irish for instance.

Not being religious I don't follow any saint, least of all one with a mythical connection to England. Plenty of things to celebrate about England otherwise. Apart from our football team that is.;)

Just now, chinapig said:

I wasn't aware it was compulsory, but if you listen to Hislop's programme you will find few people do and most couldn't tell you the date. It seems to have much less significance than St Patrick's day does to the Irish for instance.

Not being religious I don't follow any saint, least of all one with a mythical connection to England. Plenty of things to celebrate about England otherwise. Apart from our football team that is.;)

Exactly it's not compulsory. So who gives a shit about hislop . Make you're mind up

....... was not sure about flying my St Georges flag today, as I did not want to be mistaken for a meeting place for the National Front.

At least we don not live in a ridiculous PC nation where you are afraid to speak, or show any national pride.

:P

tfj :englandflag:

Exactly it's not compulsory. So who gives a shit about hislop . Make you're mind up

Um, I'm not clear what your point is, my reply to your question was clear enough I thought in that, like most people in this country, I don't celebrate St George's day. I have not disrespected anyone who chooses to do so.

Can't say I have any particular opinion of Hislop, though he has some expertise in the history of the Church of England I believe, but I assumed anyone who is interested in St George would be interested in his history.

4 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

....... was not sure about flying my St Georges flag today, as I did not want to be mistaken for a meeting place for the National Front.

At least we don not live in a ridiculous PC nation where you are afraid to speak, or show any national pride.

:P

tfj :englandflag:

It's a shame that far right groups have claimed the flag as theirs, making other people reluctant to display it. It belongs to any English person who wants to display it, not to anybody who claims exclusive rights.

Well u brought his name up straight away. I know a certain history of our saint. But like u said u have expertise. Fair play. 

I claim no expertise but I am interested in English history. To anybody else who is I would recommend the History of England podcast, available on iTunes. I have always thought Edward the Confessor would have made a good patron saint.:yes:

We have a week-long St George festival down my local.

Today it was celebrated by getting a French man outrageously pissed.  ;)

I think one of the reasons such a big deal is made about St Patrick's Day is the Guinness marketing department hyping it as a way to sell their product. 

The Tudor religious reforms lie at the heart of this. Celebrations of St George's Day were a big part of English life before the Reformation. Under Edward VI and Elizabeth I saints days and holidays were taken out of the religious calendar during the 1500's as they were considered relics of the Catholic era...along with wall paintings in churches, incense and painted statues. The clamour to celebrate St George's Day - if there is one - is a modern thing. I can't recall anyone ever mentioning it when I was a kid. Wouldn't have even known when it was!

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Didn't know if I should of posted it in football  or not . Why is no one proud of St. George's day  . Celebrations down the lions today . Do other people celebrate it . Or is it a shameful day to some . Thoughts

They are, it is celebrated more now than ever. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The constant discussions of how ordinary people flying the Cross of St George are somehow prevented from doing so because it has been "appropriated" by "the racists" are tedious nonsense - but it gives media types who hold England in contempt a chance to associate England and its national flag with racism.

The British have a lot to answer for because they have been the ones responsible for trying to suppress any positive expression of Englishness and at the same time trying to link it with racism or anything negative they could come up with. That's why we've had to go through things such as reclaiming our flag from extremists at every single sporting event for the past 20 years or more. They've conducted a deliberate campaign to try and undermine us.

Unfortunately for the Brits their smear campaigns and negative tactics haven't worked - the English people have refused to be intimidated by it and have continued flying the flag and in greater numbers. Now what we're seeing is the Brits realising they've failed and trying to jump on board the English bandwagon while pretending they were with us all along. Hence the likes of Brown flying the English flag over Downing Street a few years back. 

So chinapig, have you been taken by this crass talk of the CosG being the preserve of right-wing bigots, o are you doing it deliberately?

:englandflag::englandflag::englandflag:

I don't "celebrate" it. I'm not in any way religious so have no need to celebrate a saints day. 

I am English, but St George never even got close to stepping foot in England and lived long before the Angles and Saxons even arrived in what we call England.

It all seems rather pointless to me.

9 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

It isn't, except by weak-minded fools and Anglophobes.

I'm neither an Anglophobe nor a fool, but whether you like it or not the St Georges cross is associated with extreme right wing politics, with good reason.

I don't celebrate any patron saints day as it means nothing to me. I do however like a nice pint of Guinness on any day.

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

The Tudor religious reforms lie at the heart of this. Celebrations of St George's Day were a big part of English life before the Reformation. Under Edward VI and Elizabeth I saints days and holidays were taken out of the religious calendar during the 1500's as they were considered relics of the Catholic era...along with wall paintings in churches, incense and painted statues. The clamour to celebrate St George's Day - if there is one - is a modern thing. I can't recall anyone ever mentioning it when I was a kid. Wouldn't have even known when it was!

You weren't in the Cubs or the Scouts then.

Huge parade through Bristol every St. George's Day in my youth.

11 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

They are, it is celebrated more now than ever. 

The constant discussions of how ordinary people flying the Cross of St George are somehow prevented from doing so because it has been "appropriated" by "the racists" are tedious nonsense - but it gives media types who hold England in contempt a chance to associate England and its national flag with racism.

The British have a lot to answer for because they have been the ones responsible for trying to suppress any positive expression of Englishness and at the same time trying to link it with racism or anything negative they could come up with. That's why we've had to go through things such as reclaiming our flag from extremists at every single sporting event for the past 20 years or more. They've conducted a deliberate campaign to try and undermine us.

Unfortunately for the Brits their smear campaigns and negative tactics haven't worked - the English people have refused to be intimidated by it and have continued flying the flag and in greater numbers. Now what we're seeing is the Brits realising they've failed and trying to jump on board the English bandwagon while pretending they were with us all along. Hence the likes of Brown flying the English flag over Downing Street a few years back. 

So chinapig, have you been taken by this crass talk of the CosG being the preserve of right-wing bigots, o are you doing it deliberately?

:englandflag::englandflag::englandflag:

No, I'm saying some extreme right wing groups have tried to present themselves as 'more patriotic than thou' and that can tarnish those whose patriotism doesn't involve hatred of 'the other'. I don't think that is terribly controversial in the context of the last 40 years or so.

I prefer a positive patriotism if you like based on the many things there are to be proud of without claiming superiority over anybody else. Indeed that includes celebrating the fact that my parents' generation fought a war against the kind of hatred those extremes represent, that can be truly described as a 'just war'.

21 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Wasn't the claim that George was born in Coventry invented to bolster his position at some point? Shakespeare did his bit for the cause in Henry V of course.:whistle:

Archived