IGNORED

St George

Red Army 75

13 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Hanged a 5ft St George flag from my living room window at 6.30am yesterday Sunday ... took it down about 7 this morning...

I always drape at least one St George Cross flag from my flats windows on St Georges Day sometimes two or three.  I've got several of them and Union flags and others specifically for England football... 

When the World Cup/Euros are on I've usually got half a dozen of them hanging from windows of my eighth floor flat (that can be spotted from a couple of directions and at a distance) from the first match involving England to the second the ref blows the whistle on the inevitably disappointing loss that dumps us out of the competition.

Half expected to have received Politically Incorrect objections but its never been a problem, not a word official or otherwise, (& neither should there have been) .... the ethnic demographic on the estate has changed dramatically in the last ten years from 95% white British to something like 80% Somali and not one of my new neighbours have ever objected in any way, (indeed there is far less drug dealing, drunken violence/nuisance, car crime or crime in general here in recent years too since many of our chavvy types have moved on) I feel the only likely objections to flags are likely to come (if at all) from misguided meddling 'do gooders' and woe betide any of that sort who mentions 'racism' or anyone being offended on someone else behalf at the sight of our National flags.... if people associate them with far right groups N F etc, then its even more important for everyone to reclaim those national symbols of pride and display them appropriately without hate or prejudice..

On St Georges Day ... I'll fly the flag, at other times of National pride, sporting etc ... I'll fly the flag.  Without malice.

Must admit I might think twice about objecting if I spot blue checked or flags representing piracy though ...I'm not sure I wouldn't be offended by stuff like that!!!

Sorry to be pedantic, but unless you slipped a noose around your St George flag, you probably hung it from your window.

28 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but unless you slipped a noose around your St George flag, you probably hung it from your window.

Remember a gazillion years ago being told by a teacher that its 'hanged' rather than 'hung'  when I used the word hung which sounded better to me at the time.. infact I 'corrected' myself (according to the teachers dim and distant instruction) when typing the post.. at first I actually did use 'hung' rather than 'hanged' then changed it.. dont like the word hanged it always sounds wrong to me... anyway off to the gallows with me :reaper: ...  (its only hanged in the case of executions isn't it?) ....

Danang Me Danang Me Oughta Take A Rope And H....... :punish: 

'Hung a 5ft flag from my window...'   they're... ..their... ..dammit 'THERE' that's  better..   :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Interestingly, I always thought he was Greek.

One of those places is Malta (and, especially, Gozo) although, as I am sure you are aware, the George Cross on their National Flag should not be confused with the Cross of Saint George.

Thanks, interesting stuff. It seems Georgia (the country, not the US state) was named after him too.

He is also apparently patron saint in parts of France! :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, interesting stuff. It seems Georgia (the country, not the US state) was named after him too.

He is also apparently patron saint in parts of France! :thumbsup:

I am not aware of that.

Are you perhaps confusing him with the Knight (Chevalier) of Saint George, a Caribbean black man related to slavery - I forget the precise details - who fought in the French Revolution and was also a talented musician? 

Archived