IGNORED

One door closes; another door closes.

Aizoon

As this disastrous season ends, I turn my attention to the summer game. No more worries about City getting relegated; I can concentrate on the Glos failing to get pronoted.

Am I mad? At least Horace has no interest in cricket and can aestivate in comfort...

Just now, Red Exile said:

I was there to see us fail to do it against Hants...if I recall correctly...Gordon Greenidge played a blinder...a long time ago!

I was there too. Great innings mind. Just wish he hasn't played it just then :(

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

As this disastrous season ends, I turn my attention to the summer game. No more worries about City getting relegated; I can concentrate on the Glos failing to get pronoted.

Am I mad? At least Horace has no interest in cricket and can aestivate in comfort...

Cor. I haven't been up Nevil Road in years. Nowt better than a few beers and a sarnie with the cricket on a hot day...

Think most City fans are Somerset but my old man taught me to be Gloucs. Only a handful of Gloucs cricket fans on here as far as I know...

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I thought we (referring to the premier West Country club here i.e. not Glos) were the only county never to have won the title.

I think Gloucestershire were the top county in 1877...which made the effort to win it in the late 70's all the more significant...but I don't think it was the official county championship in 1877. As I recall WG Grace was the captain at the time...which depressingly brings home how long ago it was!

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

Cor. I haven't been up Nevil Road in years. Nowt better than a few beers and a sarnie with the cricket on a hot day...

Think most City fans are Somerset but my old man taught me to be Gloucs. Only a handful of Gloucs cricket fans on here as far as I know...

But a significant handful, Peg. It was my grandad who turned me on to the Glos, and he'd seen WG play. He first took me to Nevil Road in 1954 when Tom Graveney was playing.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

You'd be surprised just how many reds attend Glos  (and I mean in a good way) !

Can add me to the Glos supporter for my sins, brother is city and Somerset fan 

37 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Cricket what a god awful game.  The only sport I can think of that has more inactive time than active.  Sums it up when you get action replays of the bowlers grimaces.  Reckon it only survives as there is no creditable summer alternative.

How can it be a sport, when you have to wear trousers to play it?

Just now, hoxton casual said:

I'm another Glos supporter, eniticed in the Proctershire years. Zaheer Abbass there was a cricketer.

Probably the best I ever saw. A similar player to Tom Graveney but with even more style. When nobody else had ever scored 200* and 100* in a first class game, Zed had done it four times.

16 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You'd be surprised just how many reds attend Glos  (and I mean in a good way) !

I'm glad us privileged few aren't alone! All city fans I know are all Somerset... think it's something to do with Trescothick being a vice president of City...

Glous for many years.not life long only when I could make my own mind up so about five or six years old same time as started supporting city

Just now, slartibartfast said:

It's in BRISTOL....where Glos play ?

Not in days gone by. I was proud that 2 mins from my house in Whitchurch was the sign that said Welcome to Somerset.

I miss that sign - I wanted that sign !! :sad26:

I've not been for a while, and not regularly for years. 
As a kid we would walk to the ground and use the cheap exit (over the wall) . Loved Proctor,Sadiq and Zaheer. We used to go early so you could go out on the outfield, then when they rang the bell casually walk in the Pavillion. 

2 hours ago, Aizoon said:

He'll go blind if he keeps doing that!!!!

:facepalm:

Just now, slartibartfast said:

No , I haven't been a lifelong fan, YET !:cool:

Let me know when you have been but let me also know the medium's name the only one I can think of is Doris May Fisher Stokes born Doris Sutton  but I think she was a fake.

Archived