IGNORED

One door closes; another door closes.

Aizoon

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Neil Warnock is one I believe. I saw him raise a player from the dead once.

Colin is not one but he believed Freddy Sears scored when no one else but the whole audience(saw he scored) awe bless.

39 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Don't know shit about cricket. Is it cricket you old duffers are on about? I just remember some Richards bloke being in Clarence Park and everyone getting very excited.

Oi! I'm 31! Less of the old duffer please young 'un! :P

Edit: And the Richards bloke that you speak of is Sir Viv. One of the world's greatest batsmen ever even if he did play for Somerset.

1 hour ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Cricket what a god awful game.  The only sport I can think of that has more inactive time than active.  Sums it up when you get action replays of the bowlers grimaces.  Reckon it only survives as there is no creditable summer alternative.

Tennis is good, the clay season is just getting going.

3 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Probably the best I ever saw. A similar player to Tom Graveney but with even more style. When nobody else had ever scored 200* and 100* in a first class game, Zed had done it four times.

Absolutely, I loved watching him, he was so elegant. The kind who could gently persuade the ball to the boundary.;)

Gloucs through and through, played for their youth side in the early 80's....... One of my all time favourite days out was when we smashed zummerset at lords in 99, Drunk gallons, we won, drunk more, drunk more and drunk some more, passed out happy in out swiss cottage hotel . Lots of customers were confident of the title last year BUT I was hoping Middlesex pulled off a last day win and they did to deny Zummerset a 1st championship. take away Leach's wickets and they weren't gonna be close, then Leach gets ignored for a tour because he was throwing and not bowling legally. Justice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't Harry Dolman present a state of the art scoreboard back in the day

How many have played for City and Glos?  I will start us off with double international Arthur Milton and add Barrie Meyer, also played for Rovers, and David Smith who also ran a haberdashers in Fishponds

My old man took me to the Lancs v Glos Gillette Cup semi final in '71 up at Old Trafford.  He had connections with Lancashire and shoved me into the nets (unpadded) before the match started whilst some of the Lancashire bowlers warmed up.  Fresh faced and aged 14, I faced one ball from Jack Simmons (a real slow spinner) and almost needed new shorts coz I was absolute carp at cricket.  That was the day I decided cricket (for me) was best served by being outside the boundary rope with some sort of drink in hand.  

Absolute cracking game though, almost dark when David Hughes (I think) came in and lamped 20-odd off an over to beat Glos.

13 hours ago, Aizoon said:

As this disastrous season ends, I turn my attention to the summer game. No more worries about City getting relegated; I can concentrate on the Glos failing to get pronoted.

Am I mad? At least Horace has no interest in cricket and can aestivate in comfort...

Always followed Somerset. Happy if Glos are promoted of course.

• Admin

Spent many days at Taunton watching Somerset, couldn't possibly support Glos, they are north of the water - strange folk live there.........

Used to get the train down on a Sunday and there were 7 cider pubs between the station and the ground, was always tricky coming home, ensuring we got off at Temple Meads and didn't fall asleep and end up in Birmingham......

Winter watching City, summer (when I can get there) watching Gloucestershire, I'll be at the County Ground today to see day 4 of the game against Durham. Cheltenham Festival is a fantastic event, weather dependent of course. If you live in Somerset then you support Somerset, if you live in Bristol or North Bristol then you support Gloucestershire. I moved from Bristol to Whitchurch (North Somerset) but of course, my loyalty to Gloucestershire remains.

You need to be a County with a test venue ground to attract funding, sadly that isn't going to happen in Bristol, the recent investment means they can get one day internationals and the floodlights mean they can do day/night 20/20 games and generate more revenue. We lose our better players because the selector tend to pick from a small number of Counties for internationals, more chance from Somerset than Gloucestershire. Chris Broad is an example, I played against him for Brislington when he played as a youngster for Long Ashton, he had to leave Gloucestershire for Nottinghamshire to get selected England.

Take some food and a flask, a day watching County Cricket is a fantastic way to relax.

12 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I'm glad us privileged few aren't alone! All city fans I know are all Somerset... think it's something to do with Trescothick being a vice president of City...

More likely to do with growing up watching fantastic Somerset players and lots of south Bristol being within Somerset's traditional county boundaries...

42 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

If you live in Somerset then you support Somerset, if you live in Bristol or North Bristol then you support Gloucestershire. I moved from Bristol to Whitchurch (North Somerset) but of course, my loyalty to Gloucestershire remains.

I wouldn't agree with that...lots I know grew up in Bristol and have always supported Somerset, largely because the areas  in which we grew up were traditionally within Somerset's county boundary. And isn't Whitchurch in Bristol?!

Bit of a generalisation to say if you live in Bristol you support Gloucestershire.....anyway, to open old wounds, they should be playing in Cheltenham, Gloucester or somewhere lost in the Cotswolds!

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wouldn't agree with that...lots I know grew up in Bristol and have always supported Somerset, largely because the areas  in which we grew up were traditionally within Somerset's county boundary. And isn't Whitchurch in Bristol?!

Bit of a generalisation to say if you live in Bristol you support Gloucestershire.....anyway, to open old wounds, they should be playing in Cheltenham, Gloucester or somewhere lost in the Cotswolds!

Should have been more precise, Whitchurch Village is in Bath and North East Somerset, we don't get wheelie bins. Whitchurch is Bristol. I can't see why you would live in Bristol and support a team that has it's base in Taunton? Somerset used to have festivals in Weston and Bath, but these have been dropped for a number of years because of poor support and costs. They played a 20/20 match on the Rec a few years ago, got reported because of the state of the pitch, they are very much entrenched at the County Ground in Taunton now. Surely Gloucestershire playing Bristol makes more sense. I also lived in Cheltenham and Stroud for a few years, so I am a bit bias.

Well my late old man was born in Filton but moved to BS3 as a nipper. So he grew up watching City but his cricket team were Glos. Naturally, I was shown the path he took.

One of my best memories of him is me and him (my brother was was off chasing skirt) being sat in a pub in Brean, watching Glos v Somerset on Sky. He was drinking Bass (Dad preferred flat ale but still drank cider on a hot day) and I was on Blackthorn iirc.

I do miss the old sod.

• Admin

Went down to Taunton for the third day against Essex last weekend, never saw a chance of them batting to victory, have to say Cook was outstanding.

50 over starts this Friday so another day in the sun at Taunton awaits.

One good thing about the cricket is the different football teams people support.

I go down Taunton with Gas, Leeds, West Ham, Spurs and Exeter season ticket holders - at least the gas head will be a bit quieter about the football this summer

Archived