IGNORED

Yesterday

#TeamsLikeBarnsley

First off I would like to say just how impressed I was with Ashton Gate. I'd not visited since about 2010 or something. It is beautiful now, I loved it. I wasn't in with the Barnsley supporters, I was in the big, shiny stand, upper tier. Superb view, padded seats, so aye, thoroughly impressed with what now looks a stadium as good as most in the country. Be proud of that. My only complaint being the PA system. They must have the volume turned up to 11. 

In terms of the game it was a blow not to have Matty James available. His partner had given birth that morning. He's been such a key player for us since January and will be playing for Leicester in the Premier League next season I would guess based on what I've seen. Unreal presence in midfield with his size, composure and passing ability. We were bound to miss him. On top of the players we lost in January, plus injured players like Hammill, Jackson, D'Almeida and Yiadom, we were down to the bare bones. So much so we had Will Smith on the bench. No, not that one. But a 17 year old Academy kid. However, it was a first opportunity to see both Mowatt and Moncur together in the same midfield..

I felt we dominated the first half regardless, and deserved our lead. We nearly always play 4-4-2 but yesterday went with one up front which I think probably confused LJ. It confused us! But aye, we dominated the midfield and Kent was giving Little a torrid time of it on the left wing. We should have done more with a few chances created but ever since January we've been all foreplay and little penetration. In fact, the goal was fortuitous itself. The terrible referee should have stopped play in my opinion and then Moncur's strike deflects kindly off Mowatt for the goal. 

We had referee Duncan at Oakwell this season for a 2-2 draw with Birmingham where we led 2-0 until he decided to give an iffy penalty to Brum AND send off our captain Marc Roberts. He cost us that game. And just a couple of weeks ago now he was in charge of our game against Cardiff. As ever, we absolutely roasted them but couldn't get the goal our play merited, yet when Scowen danced through the midfield he was hacked down by Sol Bamba who had already been booked. Certain red card. Bizarrely, Bamba stays down 'injured' from his foul and instead of still giving him a red card, the ref allows Warnock to sub him off. Unbelievable decision. So I expected more of the same from Mr Duncan yesterday. But he didn't prove to be 'against' us. He just proved to be incompetent. And you suffered for it the most on this occasion. The standard of refereeing since they went professional has only declined in my opinion.

You did have one or two moments yourself. I think Davies did well to keep a shot out from the edge of the box and some good blocks prevented the follow-ups. But I certainly felt we were good value for our lead at the break. 

Roberts rolled his ankle and was replaced at the break and I feared the worst. He holds that defence together, he's such a commanding presence and in the first half he kept check of Abraham who'd been largely anonymous. But I feared the worst mainly because I knew we had nobody on the bench to replace him. The aforementioned Will Smith is a centre half. But I suppose Hecky didn't fancy chucking him on against one of the best strikers in the division. Instead he brought full back Callum Evans on and moved Gethin Jones to centre half. I felt it was the wrong call, personally. I'd have put the 17 year old on. At least he knew the position. 

City came out in much more aggressive and direct fashion. Looked a different team. And, our defence buckled. It was sad to see actually. When you envisage something happening you still hope to be wrong. But I wasn't. Without Robbo we folded defensively and I think Scowen looked scared to get stuck in following his deserved first half booking. City were attacking us at will and it was no surprise to see the game levelled up. 

But then a moment of magic as Armstrong took advantage of a sloppy pass to dance through before slipping in Moncur whose finish was devastating. It was classic Barnsley. From nowhere, pace on the break and a clinical finish. We've worked that to perfection this season. But could we stem the tide now? Would that goal re-settle us? Not a chance, sadly. 

City continued to dominate and our defence offered up chance after chance and I'm relieved actually that you didn't score four or five. 

I think you deserved the three points. Yes, Robbo going off was massive but ifs and buts are irrelevant. You were the better team on the day and warranted the victory. 

I felt Abraham was first-class in the second half. He seemed to drop deeper or wider, to take the ball and hold it while others came up to support. Paterson looked lively and impressed me, but Abraham was standout. He's going to be some player I guess. 

Great acoustics in AG too now. Once you finally found your voice it was good to hear and I can imagine it being very helpful to the players if the place is rocking. I know it's not been the season you hoped for but I kept saying stick with it, back LJ, he will get it right. I still believe that, even though he has completely done everything else I said he'd done when our head coach. He is never average or boring. It's consistently crap or consistently great, and those two sides switch around a lot. He needs to find somewhere inbetween I suppose. As I've said before, he takes too much on. He probably grafts too much. I think he'll come good for you next season and many of these players will have come out of this struggle stronger as players and people. 

I look forward to returning again next season. 

Andy.

1 minute ago, #TeamsLikeBarnsley said:

First off I would like to say just how impressed I was with Ashton Gate. I'd not visited since about 2010 or something. It is beautiful now, I loved it. I wasn't in with the Barnsley supporters, I was in the big, shiny stand, upper tier. Superb view, padded seats, so aye, thoroughly impressed with what now looks a stadium as good as most in the country. Be proud of that. My only complaint being the PA system. They must have the volume turned up to 11. 

In terms of the game it was a blow not to have Matty James available. His partner had given birth that morning. He's been such a key player for us since January and will be playing for Leicester in the Premier League next season I would guess based on what I've seen. Unreal presence in midfield with his size, composure and passing ability. We were bound to miss him. On top of the players we lost in January, plus injured players like Hammill, Jackson, D'Almeida and Yiadom, we were down to the bare bones. So much so we had Will Smith on the bench. No, not that one. But a 17 year old Academy kid. However, it was a first opportunity to see both Mowatt and Moncur together in the same midfield..

I felt we dominated the first half regardless, and deserved our lead. We nearly always play 4-4-2 but yesterday went with one up front which I think probably confused LJ. It confused us! But aye, we dominated the midfield and Kent was giving Little a torrid time of it on the left wing. We should have done more with a few chances created but ever since January we've been all foreplay and little penetration. In fact, the goal was fortuitous itself. The terrible referee should have stopped play in my opinion and then Moncur's strike deflects kindly off Mowatt for the goal. 

We had referee Duncan at Oakwell this season for a 2-2 draw with Birmingham where we led 2-0 until he decided to give an iffy penalty to Brum AND send off our captain Marc Roberts. He cost us that game. And just a couple of weeks ago now he was in charge of our game against Cardiff. As ever, we absolutely roasted them but couldn't get the goal our play merited, yet when Scowen danced through the midfield he was hacked down by Sol Bamba who had already been booked. Certain red card. Bizarrely, Bamba stays down 'injured' from his foul and instead of still giving him a red card, the ref allows Warnock to sub him off. Unbelievable decision. So I expected more of the same from Mr Duncan yesterday. But he didn't prove to be 'against' us. He just proved to be incompetent. And you suffered for it the most on this occasion. The standard of refereeing since they went professional has only declined in my opinion.

You did have one or two moments yourself. I think Davies did well to keep a shot out from the edge of the box and some good blocks prevented the follow-ups. But I certainly felt we were good value for our lead at the break. 

Roberts rolled his ankle and was replaced at the break and I feared the worst. He holds that defence together, he's such a commanding presence and in the first half he kept check of Abraham who'd been largely anonymous. But I feared the worst mainly because I knew we had nobody on the bench to replace him. The aforementioned Will Smith is a centre half. But I suppose Hecky didn't fancy chucking him on against one of the best strikers in the division. Instead he brought full back Callum Evans on and moved Gethin Jones to centre half. I felt it was the wrong call, personally. I'd have put the 17 year old on. At least he knew the position. 

City came out in much more aggressive and direct fashion. Looked a different team. And, our defence buckled. It was sad to see actually. When you envisage something happening you still hope to be wrong. But I wasn't. Without Robbo we folded defensively and I think Scowen looked scared to get stuck in following his deserved first half booking. City were attacking us at will and it was no surprise to see the game levelled up. 

But then a moment of magic as Armstrong took advantage of a sloppy pass to dance through before slipping in Moncur whose finish was devastating. It was classic Barnsley. From nowhere, pace on the break and a clinical finish. We've worked that to perfection this season. But could we stem the tide now? Would that goal re-settle us? Not a chance, sadly. 

City continued to dominate and our defence offered up chance after chance and I'm relieved actually that you didn't score four or five. 

I think you deserved the three points. Yes, Robbo going off was massive but ifs and buts are irrelevant. You were the better team on the day and warranted the victory. 

I felt Abraham was first-class in the second half. He seemed to drop deeper or wider, to take the ball and hold it while others came up to support. Paterson looked lively and impressed me, but Abraham was standout. He's going to be some player I guess. 

Great acoustics in AG too now. Once you finally found your voice it was good to hear and I can imagine it being very helpful to the players if the place is rocking. I know it's not been the season you hoped for but I kept saying stick with it, back LJ, he will get it right. I still believe that, even though he has completely done everything else I said he'd done when our head coach. He is never average or boring. It's consistently crap or consistently great, and those two sides switch around a lot. He needs to find somewhere inbetween I suppose. As I've said before, he takes too much on. He probably grafts too much. I think he'll come good for you next season and many of these players will have come out of this struggle stronger as players and people. 

Andy.

Great , well written , interesting post

Great read #Teams 

Thanks for the nice comments and glad you enjoyed your visit :thumbsup:

Thanks for the post I always like to see views from the other side.

I thought your left back and Kent were excellent and I loved the chants about Johnson - unbelievably (especially if you read this forum) Ashton Gate has never seen such sustained critisism of LJ in a game even in our darkest period of consecutive defeats.

I still think you were unlucky to lose our equaliser came from nothing but in fairness we had missed a few by then.

See you next year (that feels nice to say) to someone other than Rotherham or Wigan!!

Just now, cidered abroad said:

A very good summary of the afternoon. Are you related to OLÉ who writes some very well judged reports for us? 

He is their version isn`t he?

It is always nice to hear the opposition fans` view - we don`t always see it all do we? Also we don`t get many comparing our ground to Chernobyl.

@#TeamsLikeBarnsley

Cheers mate. Some very kind comments. I was quite impressed with Barnsley, bearing in mind you have sold four or even five (including Mawson) of your best players (?) since promotion, and we brought in 5 in January alone, that was hard work, winning yesterday. And losing a centre half during the game too - and another before the game, you say? Certainly helped us.

I wonder how we would have done this season if we had sold another four - our better ones - in addition to Kodjia? Probably best not to think too much about that.

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

Thanks for the post I always like to see views from the other side.

I thought your left back and Kent were excellent and I loved the chants about Johnson - unbelievably (especially if you read this forum) Ashton Gate has never seen such sustained critisism of LJ in a game even in our darkest period of consecutive defeats.

I still think you were unlucky to lose our equaliser came from nothing but in fairness we had missed a few by then.

See you next year (that feels nice to say) to someone other than Rotherham or Wigan!!

Kent is one of the best technicians I have ever seen at any level. Seriously. Some of the stuff he does is world class. However, his end-product is garbage. But that can be improved. As well as his defensive duties. Once they are improved, even slightly, he's going to be very, very special. Pleasure to say he's played for us. Would be over the moon to somehow get him back next season but I expect Liverpool will assess him in pre-season and even if they don't use him, he'll have bigger suitors than us. Such is the food chain. 

The LJ-baiting from some of our fans bores me to tears. He was average when our coach. We've done nothing but improve since he left. He left for his club, a club who are very 'arguably' bigger, but unarguably potentially bigger, with more money to work with and now a stadium that can hold its own with any at this level. He would have been daft to stay here. And yes, it was a huge snub to our owner who'd stood by him during the shocking losing sequence but no idea why some of our fans are so jilted by it all. I'd have preferred them to get behind our team and our coach, but c'est la vie. 

And no, I think it'd have been a travesty had we got a result. Based purely on the schoolboy defending second half. Even Hecky said the same.

Welcome Andy, always good to hear other fans opinions when they actually want a decent chat. 

I tried to register for a Barnsley forum last night to give compliments based on the first half performance and had my registration refused due to my location which is a bit sad. No wonder there's only about 7 posts a day on there...

I thought Barnsley were excellent in the first half and very good value for the lead, despite the horrendous refereeing that actually led to the lead being gained (I thought we were lucky not to be a couple behind by then!) 

You've hit the nail on the head with 'consistently crap or consistently great' - some of the football has been utterly scintillating - interspersed with some of the most appalling football I've ever seen!

I've got a lot of respect for Barnsley, made a very good start to life in the Championship despite having your squad ripped apart. Hecky seems to be making a decent reputation for himself with little resource. Best of luck for next season. 

20 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Welcome Andy, always good to hear other fans opinions when they actually want a decent chat. 

I tried to register for a Barnsley forum last night to give compliments based on the first half performance and had my registration refused due to my location which is a bit sad. No wonder there's only about 7 posts a day on there...

I thought Barnsley were excellent in the first half and very good value for the lead, despite the horrendous refereeing that actually led to the lead being gained (I thought we were lucky not to be a couple behind by then!) 

You've hit the nail on the head with 'consistently crap or consistently great' - some of the football has been utterly scintillating - interspersed with some of the most appalling football I've ever seen!

I've got a lot of respect for Barnsley, made a very good start to life in the Championship despite having your squad ripped apart. Hecky seems to be making a decent reputation for himself with little resource. Best of luck for next season. 

Try this one: http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/forums/bulletin-board.130/

Some of our 'supporters' on there could do with reading a bit of praise for our team. 

I've just learnt to accept quite a lot of football fans are exactly that. Fans. Being a supporter is what counts. Rough with the smooth. Football is often cyclical. And when you're supporting Barnsley or Bristol City you're going to see more rough times than smooth.

Very good analysis. 

I was at Oakwell for the 2-2 draw at the end of October (I've got family in South Yorkshire) and during the first half yesterday Barnsley played in more or less the same way as they had then. The big difference was that in the second half we started getting the ball forward more quickly because in the first half we were pretty predictable when attacking and Barnsley coped with that. We also didn't have Wilbs getting stuck in this time round.

Oakwell itself reminded me of AG just after the Atyeo was built but with a couple of exceptions. The West Stand is reminiscent of the old stand that was demolished so the Dolman Stand could replace it, the car park is massive but getting away from Oakwell towards the M1 is a bit of an ordeal. There would have been plenty of time to have dropped into the shop to buy a Toby Tyke badge before leaving the car park, but as long as next season's game isn't a Tuesday nighter I can always do that then :-)

23 minutes ago, #TeamsLikeBarnsley said:

Some of our 'supporters' on there could do with reading a bit of praise for our team. 

I've just learnt to accept quite a lot of football fans are exactly that. Fans. Being a supporter is what counts. Rough with the smooth. Football is often cyclical. And when you're supporting Barnsley or Bristol City you're going to see more rough times than smooth.

can you please explain smooth?

1 hour ago, #TeamsLikeBarnsley said:

Andy.

Cheers Andy. One minor criticism though. 

If you keep writing 'Aye'. I'm going to keep reading your posts with a Scottish accent in my head. Please address. 

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Cheers Andy. One minor criticism though. 

If you keep writing 'Aye'. I'm going to keep reading your posts with a Scottish accent in my head. Please address. 

On a Totally different note how was the cruise ? I am looking  forward to the day I am old enough.

1 hour ago, #TeamsLikeBarnsley said:

Blimey, they moan as much as us!

6 hours ago, reddoh said:

On a Totally different note how was the cruise ? I am looking  forward to the day I am old enough.

Ha. You cheeky sod. It was good thank you. We find it's good entertainment for the kids - the biggest (4) loves the shows every night. And the food is much better than you'd expect. 

Although I do accept that many people on board are retired. 

4 minutes ago, Rascal said:

He's a cu'nt pal, none of our fans like him at all, he was always going to get stick, he will next time too. 

He's become a very divisive figure at AG. 

Endless criticism on here about LJs managerial ability (or lack of).

The blokes around me in the Dolman all want him gone and berate him every game - very loudly! 

Archived