IGNORED

after nearly FIFTY years we still can't get colour television pictures right

My knowledge of the first colour television pictures are circa 1967 when tennis was transmitted in colour.

Nice for those who could afford to rent(we never bought tellys outright in those days)

Then Eddie Wareing circa 1969 was promoting Match of the day IN COLOUR.

Prior to that(so I am told) that if you lived in the Ilchester crescent area of Bemmy Down.

If you had a colour TV you could get colour pictures on the strength of the colour transmission being SENT to the Ilchester crescent transmitter for testing

I remember looking at those bright light/bright sunshine/pictures in the shadows on Match of the day(in black and white),

thinking one day that won't happen any more.

So looking at the highlights from Saturday with the sun covering half the pitch

nothing has changed in TV terms in nearly fifty years.

I can live with highlights in the shadows, as we don't see much sunshine in the U.K.

I remember watching colour TV for the first time going to a friends house to watch the Arsenal Liverpool cup final.  It really hurt my eyes at the time.

Also remember watching games like Man U v Everton in black and white when it was impossible to distinguish tbe 2 teams.

Remember too watching the Mexico world cup in 1970 live, when satilite broadcasting was in its infancy and the pictures were really fuzzy.

We should count ourselves as lucky to have what we have now.

But watching some of the dodgy SD streams with buffering sometimes feels like going back to the 70's

Archived