IGNORED

Pick a Team that I Trust!

Sniper

LJ has said this a few times over the past 6 weeks or so, but I'm not really understanding what he actually means?

There are players I don't trust, and won't play them as they won't try and want me sacked anyway.

There are players that I don't trust to put in a shift for me regardless if they want me here or not?

There are players that I now realise aren't good enough?

Could be an interesting summer with in's/out's.....

I think it's a poor turn of phrase and could be interpreted by the players omitted that he's throwing them under the bus and blaming our previous form entirely on them. I presume by trust he means keeping disciplined to the tactics being asked. Assuming LJ is still in charge next year I would hope his comments to the media are reigned in a little

21 minutes ago, Sniper said:

LJ has said this a few times over the past 6 weeks or so, but I'm not really understanding what he actually means?

There are players I don't trust, and won't play them as they won't try and want me sacked anyway.

There are players that I don't trust to put in a shift for me regardless if they want me here or not?

There are players that I now realise aren't good enough?

Could be an interesting summer with in's/out's.....

Tomlin.

Normal phrase by a manager and I use it with my team to mean two things.

Will you try and implement the style of play and tactics that have been asked for?

Will you fight for the team and not hide when the game is going against us?

The big issue is with this phrase is that trust is a two way street, and if the players don't believe you know what you are doing they will stop doing what you ask. IMHO the players have shown in the last few weeks that they do trust LJ and do want to play for him.

I think it simply means players that aren't following (consistently & reliably) the game plan and instructions. 

You only have to look at the recent difference that 11 players keeping to the game plan makes. 

With the way we like to play (when doing well) it can all easily fail if 1 or 2 players aren't doing their whole job properly. 

It's a tough style to play, that will have off days, but when it all comes together, then it's very hard to play against. If you can pull it off for 30-35 games a season then you'll probably get promoted. We are currently at the stage where we can probably achieve it for around 20 games. LJ's goal is to see if he can get a group together that can produce it more consistently. If he can, there will be slot of people who will be very grateful to SL for buying into the plan and having the patience/courage/belief to stick by it. 

It's far easier said than done, but if it comes off, the future is very bright!

The only problem with this way is that only certain players will produce the level regularly enough, which will naturally mean a higher percentage of "failed signings", however good a player they generally are. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it simply means players that aren't following (consistently & reliably) the game plan and instructions. 

You only have to look at the recent difference that 11 players keeping to the game plan makes. 

With the way we like to play (when doing well) it can all easily fail if 1 or 2 players aren't doing their whole job properly. 

It's a tough style to play, that will have off days, but when it all comes together, then it's very hard to play against. If you can pull it off for 30-35 games a season then you'll probably get promoted. We are currently at the stage where we can probably achieve it for around 20 games. LJ's goal is to see if he can get a group together that can produce it more consistently. If he can, there will be slot of people who will be very grateful to SL for buying into the plan and having the patience/courage/belief to stick by it. 

The only problem with this way is that only certain players will produce the level regularly enough, which will naturally mean a higher percentage of "failed signings", however good a player they generally are. 

great post and this could be true. lets hope

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Managers use that phrase often.

I take it to mean that, when the going gets tough, the manager wants players who won't buckle and will give 100%.

That could be at the cost of flair or creative type players, getting back to doing the basics well.

You may well be correct in that some players want out or want the manager out, and that SLs awarding of an extended contract and backing of the manager was a shot at those types. I don't know, but that happens at most clubs at some time or other.

Who goes in the summer will be interesting.

Spot on Cynic, but then it would be as I 100% agree! 

58 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Tomlin 

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This is my reading of it, too. 

This is what you get, though - players ignoring the coach and doing what they want - this is the chance you take, I think, when you employ a coach who is, or is thought to be, or might be thought to be,  "out of his depth," or inexperienced, or "clueless," or "only in the job because he is a friend of the owner," or who cannot "show us your medals" and lacks playing credentials at the level he is coaching at and/or an existing track record of coaching competence or excellence at the level of the players he is working with.

Does anyone think that some footballers, or boys (because that is what many of these players are) like Tomlin do not think things like the above in quotes, like the things people on here post (ie, clueless, out of his depth, friend of the owner, and yes, even "midget")?

This is the risk, the chance, that SL took with LJ, and it is, or was, a risk that created a lot of "upset" - ie, "bed-wetting" - when he was appointed, and during this season's club record slump. A lot of us wanted the relative safety and comfort (real or imagined), or reassurance, of an experienced coach at Championship level. There are no guarantees with any coach/manager, this is true, it's just that experience feels like a safer bet (until it proves otherwise) and inexperience feels risky.

SL going for LJ at that point in his coaching career felt to me like our version of Leeds going for Dave Hockaday (not as extreme as that, but you get what I mean) or even Cardiff giving Trollope a go.

SL took a punt, a risk, appointing LJ, which created some anxst/ anxiety; then we had the Oct to March slump, which heightened the anxst/anxiety and "bed-wetting" and so we had calls for LJ to go, to relieve the anxst/anxiety (which 99% of clubs do 99% of the time, in situations like this) but SL refused! Which heightened the anxst/anxiety/bed-wetting even more, leading to some saying SL needs to go! And some unsavourary personal abuse of SL and LJ. 

In the absence of removing supporter anxst/anxiety/bed-wetting the traditional way - ie sacking the coach - only results provide relief. As we have now experienced, thankfully. Relief!

But for the anxious mind, there is always something to fret about, and so we now move on to next season (although the truly worried are still fretting about a 5:0 hammering at Brighton, after Blackburn beat Villa 2:0).

I would have gone for a better qualified/more experienced coach than Lee Johnson in Feb last year - assuming we could attract one - but accept this is no 100% guarantee of success, or even competence. But what is guaranteed in football is that a coach younger than one of his squad with no great playing record at the level he is coaching at and no coaching "medals" at that level either, will be tested by at least some of his squad at some point, whether consciously - knowingly, deliberately - or subconsciously. Anyone doubting Warnock will be dealt with swiftly and conclusively (I imagine) for example.

I think, like you seem to think, that this is what LJ is getting at with his "trust" comments. Lee will have no need to go off visiting clubs around Europe this summer, nor visiting the SAS or A&E Depts, or Michelin starred chefs in their kitchens, or any pressurised environments anywhere; he has experienced all this and more this here season and the lessons he needs to learn to be a success will be there for him to learn and benefit from in the chaos of October to now. Or August til now. He needs to learn quick though.

Let us hope he can learn and apply the insight immediately - ie, as recruitment begins - and that we see this next season and have a much better season.

I think we all - worriers, keyboard worriers, bed-wetters, pessimists, optimists, happy-clappers, all of us - deserve it.

Up the City!

Archived