IGNORED

You're Going Down

slartibartfast

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was in the Park End/Open End that day and saw lots of Bees fans in tears after, I felt like apologising as we had nothing to play for and stuffed em! I can only remember Leroy bagging some, not sure who the kiddie was?

That was a ridiculous season, we got thrashed loads - 1-5 at home to the Hammers, 5-0 in Newcastle, 4-0 by the gas, 4-1 at the Blades, 4-1 at Millwall, 5-1 at Brentford....

I remember getting a soaking against Brentford. It started as a beautiful afternoon and many of us chose to make the most of it and go in the open end. Predictably by half time it was pissing down, the joys of the open end! Was that the same match?

Just now, Southstandoriginal said:

I remember getting a soaking against Brentford. It started as a beautiful afternoon and many of us chose to make the most of it and go in the open end. Predictably by half time it was pissing down, the joys of the open end! Was that the same match?

Might have been, it was in May, but that wouldn't stop it raining in the UK! Can't really remember 

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, I just remembered that one before I read your post. Didn't we have a kiddie score for us on debut? I remember walking across the park after and seeing a young Bees fan in tears being comforted by his dad, I did feel a bit sorry for him ! 

Apparently I used to cry every time we conceded, bare in mind my first few seasons were 97-98ish!

7 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Remember being away at Sheff Utd when they were relegated. 1988. Playoffs.

Yep, back in the days when there was a team from the league above included with three from our division. It was the infamous Walsall year.

IIRC they stopped including teams from above after that year due to the trouble Blades fans caused after the game.

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, back in the days when there was a team from the league above included with three from our division. It was the infamous Walsall year.

IIRC they stopped including teams from above after that year due to the trouble Blades fans caused after the game.

I do think that system can be better, if implemented properly.

A mini league perhaps

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You're not Dopey Darrell ,are you ?    :P

Thankfully not!

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No it wasn't it was Brentford - read the summary of their season here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Brentford_F.C._season

I was thinking of that game last night

IIRC it was a very bizarre game because instead of goal difference, it was goals scored that counted that season (I don't remember how many seasons that lasted for?)

I can't remember the exact scenario but Brentford even if they lost, could still stay up and in that case, it didn't matter how many they conceded, it was just a question of how many they could score. So once they went a couple down and the game was lost, they just chucked everyone forward, so the game from then on was just totally end to end, like a playground game. We could have scored about 20 but had Junior Bent up front.....and Brentford wore worse!

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Before my time, how did that work? Sounds interesting.

The top two went up auto and the bottom two came down. The playoffs were then between the third bottom of the upper division and third, fourth and fifth from the lower one. It was home and away semis and a two legged final - no Wembley in those days.The reason it got changed was because of trouble due to teams going down via the playoffs (like Blades did) and not just failing to go up like it is now. I think it pretty much kicked off every time a club from the `upper` league lost and went down but the final straw was the trouble after our game up there I think.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

The top two went up auto and the bottom two came down. The playoffs were then between the third bottom of the upper division and third, fourth and fifth from the lower one. It was home and away semis and a two legged final - no Wembley in those days.The reason it got changed was because of trouble due to teams going down via the playoffs (like Blades did) and not just failing to go up like it is now. I think it pretty much kicked off every time a club from the `upper` league lost and went down but the final straw was the trouble after our game up there I think.

Ah sounds like a good system. Can imagine the trouble though

Just now, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I wonder why that is.........

I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

:mf_sleep:

Oh my autocorrect has completely ruined that attempt. 

*I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

too late now and won't let me edit it

good night folks, :10_1_108:

Archived