IGNORED

Little Boy Blue

winterbournered

• Admin

I was working in Liverpool when it was being filmed and was on a train up with Stephen Graham (police officer in charge), iniitialy started chatting to him about This Is England, then asked what he was involved in at the time, he mentioned he was working on this story and said it had really affected the cast and crew during pre-filming rehearsals etc what they were taking on. Haven't watched it yet it is on the Sky planner to catch up on.

It is really un-nerving that a community went into such lockdown to try and protect people

He did mention he was cast in a future Pirates of the Caribbean film too, no idea when that is out?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I was working in Liverpool when it was being filmed and was on a train up with Stephen Graham (police officer in charge), iniitialy started chatting to him about This Is England, then asked what he was involved in at the time, he mentioned he was working on this story and said it had really affected the cast and crew during pre-filming rehearsals etc what they were taking on. Haven't watched it yet it is on the Sky planner to catch up on.

It is really un-nerving that a community went into such lockdown to try and protect people

He did mention he was cast in a future Pirates of the Caribbean film too, no idea when that is out?

It is well worth watching, but it was broadcast on ITV - a harrowing tale, spoilt somewhat by ITV's adverts at crucial moments!

I share your thoughts about the family and community 'Omerta', and have to admire the bravery of Mercer's alibi - presumably to be seen in a later episode.

1 hour ago, winterbournered said:

Anybody watch this last night?

Found it a really difficult hours TV viewing. Still annoyed at how the parents of the perpetrators tried to protect their own. 

He was a 11 year old boy ffs! 

Absolutely gut wrenching programme and as you rightly say a difficult watch, this is a tragedy beyond belief.

The parents are total chav scum. 

I read an article earlier that the killer Mercer is really struggling in prison having been recently transferred to HMP Frankland, he is not such a hard man as he thought he was and now being surrounded by proper hard men has become a retiring little flower and a minimum of 12 years still remaining of his prison sentence, I hope there is much more suffering to come for him.

Again as you rightly say he was an 11 year old FFS.

RIP Little Boy Blue.

40 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Absolutely gut wrenching programme and as you rightly say a difficult watch, this is a tragedy beyond belief.

The parents are total chav scum. 

I read an article earlier that the killer Mercer is really struggling in prison having been recently transferred to HMP Frankland, he is not such a hard man as he thought he was and now being surrounded by proper hard men has become a retiring little flower and a minimum of 12 years still remaining of his prison sentence, I hope there is much more suffering to come for him.

Again as you rightly say he was an 11 year old FFS.

RIP Little Boy Blue.

As I said above, it was certainly a very emotional programme - still 3 more episodes to come.

Without wishing to spoil it for anybody who is intending to watch later, apart from the awful, heart-rending scene where Rhys' mother is threatened with arrest should she continue to kiss her son, I couldn't help but cringe, almost tremble, when she telephoned her husband to tell him Rhys had been shot, and he replied, in an almost disparaging voice that suggested 'stupid woman', 'What do you mean, he has been shot?'. 

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I said above, it was certainly a very emotional programme - still 3 more episodes to come.

Without wishing to spoil it for anybody who is intending to watch later, apart from the awful, heart-rending scene where Rhys' mother is threatened with arrest should she continue to kiss her son, I couldn't help but cringe, almost tremble, when she telephoned her husband to tell him Rhys had been shot, and he replied, in an almost disparaging voice that suggested 'stupid woman', 'What do you mean, he has been shot?'. 

it's what shock does Phil.

The scene with the mother and threat of arrest I would suspect is artistic licence, but with advances in forensic science any contamination is an escape route for a potential suspect.

The most real part for me is the inter action between the female assistant chief constable and the detective superintendent, one wants a quick result under any circumstances to protect the image of the Merseyside police and hers and the chief constables further career prospects and the other wants a watertight case to ensure justice is properly served.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it's what shock does Phil.

The scene with the mother and threat of arrest I would suspect is artistic licence, but with advances in forensic science any contamination is an escape route for a potential suspect.

The most real part for me is the inter action between the female assistant chief constable and the detective superintendent, one wants a quick result under any circumstances to protect the image of the Merseyside police and hers and the chief constables further career prospects and the other wants a watertight case to ensure justice is properly served.

I am sure shock makes people say and do silly/strange things, but (as a father of two children) I was just trying to picture the sheer disbelief in his mind when his wife telephones him on a warm summer evening to inform his 11 year old son has just been shot. 

Concerning the highlighted part, I seem to recall that the Guildford Four were arrested, charged and convicted pretty quickly, weren't they? And look how that turned out. 

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure shock makes people say and do silly/strange things, but (as a father of two children) I was just trying to picture the sheer disbelief in his mind when his wife telephones him on a warm summer evening to inform his 11 year old son has just been shot. 

Concerning the highlighted part, I seem to recall that the Guildford Four were arrested, charged and convicted pretty quickly, weren't they? And look how that turned out. 

Different days different times, nowadays you need a little thing called evidence in those days forced confessions, biased judge and jury that in general believed every word from police officers.

15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Different days different times, nowadays you need a little thing called evidence in those days forced confessions, biased judge and jury that in general believed every word from police officers.

Precisely, and that is presumably why Stephen Graham stood his ground.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The problem was that gun crime had gotten out of control on Merseyside and of course it reflected badly on the chief, deputy and assistants and heaven forbid those useless ******* are made to look bad.

Of Course.

And, if I recall correctly, at this time it was not only Liverpool (Croxteth and Toxteth), but also Manchester (Moss Side) and even Nottingham - although the latter, whilst also gang related, was due to a 'different' group of people. 

Crime Investigation channel on Sky, do a series called crimes that shook Britain, having seen the Rhys Jones episode, and after watching last nights little boy blue, without the lad who hid the gun in his house, the scum who were involved whould still be free, if it wasn't for him and his family doing the right thing, the way Mercer and his mates covered their tracks was unbelievable they got rid of most of the physical evidence within a hour or two of committing the offence. His mates even took Mercer to a old warehouse and doused him in petrol to get rid of the gunshot residue, burned his clothes, dumped his bike, and burned all SIM cards, before Rhys had even been pronounced dead, It was all very well planned out. 

One thing i did find strange small thing i know was the minute applause at Everton if it was something the family wanted then fair enough. A minute silence would have been more appropiate IMO. Great watch though.

Archived