IGNORED

Could Flint say no to Bruce

Major Isewater

Not an invitation to appear on the Generation Game but would Flinty be able to turn down the opportunity to work with Steve Bruce ,an outstanding centre back in his day, not to mention Villa being among the favourites for promotion and the chance to pair up with Baker .

I can't see him being hugely tempted to move just for the money but the Villa interest worries me.

Just now, cynic said:

Maybe time for him to move on ?

We need to keep turning over players to give others like Moore, Vyner, and Magnusson opportunities - all three have the potential to fill his boots.

With Hegeler more than capable of centre back we have enough cover imo.

Get 5m+ for him and jobs a good 'un.

No, please no!  For me Flint has been at the heart of our development over the last few seasons, and I would be gutted to see him go.  What a player!  If the rest of the team showed a tenth of his passion we'd be all right.  £5m would be giving him away.  £15m at least.

As usual - this is up to the player.

Villa can offer much more money, and a better chance of playing at a higher level. If Flinty wants to go he can & good luck to him he has been a rock for City.

Hope he stays and can see the potential at City. After this season of struggle - would he rather be looking up at the Prem or down at league 1 ........

tfj

He would have a far better chance of promotion with Villa than City. He's 27, which isn't old, but if he turned down a move to Villa he might not get another chance with a big ish club. The last thing you want, if you're a professional, is to reach the end of your career and have a lot of "what ifs". I'd be sorry to see him go, but I wouldn't blame him if he did. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He would have a far better chance of promotion with Villa than City. He's 27, which isn't old, but if he turned down a move to Villa he might not get another chance with a big ish club. The last thing you want, if you're a professional, is to reach the end of your career and have a lot of "what ifs". I'd be sorry to see him go, but I wouldn't blame him if he did. 

Took the words right out of my mouth (I won't say when). He's been a great player but I can't imagine he'd turn down a shot at promotion. A footballers career is only so long.

This is what SL's new, forward-thinking, sustainable, Bristol City looks like everyone. Buy at £300,000; improve; sell at massive profit, minus percentage to club we took player from. Then buy the next £300k potential gem, and carry on.

All this, and

Keep the club moving forward. ie, upwards. Buy and sell, and win games.

All you need to pull this off, is a very good coach with quality assistants and better-than-average scouting. So, we should be ok there, then.

Brentford are managing this currently.

And Flinty, at 27, might be at, or very close to, his maximum value. So, if the interest is real, we thank him for some great times and wish him well.

Then hand the money to the head coach and say, find us the next Flint.....

If the Big Man was to get an offer from a club like Villa in the summer, and he wanted out, then I don't think anyone could stand in his way

Been a wonderful signing, but he's getting on a bit in football terms. Magnusson and Moore already here, ready made replacements

The bloke is so rarely injured that at 27 he could have five or six good seasons left at CB. Pace has never been a big part of his game so he could probably do a very good job for a team that wanted to buy him from us.

But what a great signing he has been. The acid test for me is that if I was a professional footballer, would I want him in my team? 100% he would be my first selection from our squad.

24 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is what SL's new, forward-thinking, sustainable, Bristol City looks like everyone. Buy at £300,000; improve; sell at massive profit, minus percentage to club we took player from. Then buy the next £300k potential gem, and carry on.

All this, and

Keep the club moving forward. ie, upwards. Buy and sell, and win games.

All you need to pull this off, is a very good coach with quality assistants and better-than-average scouting. So, we should be ok there, then.

Brentford are managing this currently.

And Flinty, at 27, might be at, or very close to, his maximum value. So, if the interest is real, we thank him for some great times and wish him well.

Then hand the money to the head coach and say, find us the next Flint.....

That sounds like an excellent plan!

There's just one thing niggling me about this, and I'm guessing you also?

If Villa are seriously interested, he will go.  He has to further his career at 27 if he can.  Villa can afford to give City and Flinty both a great deal, but its a question of what our valuation of him is.

We do have a number of potential replacements, though I would miss his attitude and commitment, but would wish him well if he does move on.

A few great seasons from him and a big profit cant be sneezed at.  I tbink £4m minimum is what we should be asking, though his lack of pace would mean that he would probably warm the bench if Villa did go up.

Thing with City is,we hang on to players for too long,and as sad as I would be to see him go,life goes on,the king is dead ,long live the king(who ever that turns out to be).

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I tbink £4m minimum is what we should be asking, though his lack of pace would mean that he would probably warm the bench if Villa did go up.

Lack of pace?  No way.   Think you may be confusing him with someone else. (It's the tats thing and quite understandable).

Flinty's one of the nimblist sprinters at Ashton Gate don't you know.

No-one else can get anywhere near him.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not an invitation to appear on the Generation Game but would Flinty be able to turn down the opportunity to work with Steve Bruce ,an outstanding centre back in his day, not to mention Villa being among the favourites for promotion and the chance to pair up with Baker .

I can't see him being hugely tempted to move just for the money but the Villa interest worries me.

I could see him heading to France. Nice to see you to see you ........Nice. I'll get my coat!

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

If the Big Man was to get an offer from a club like Villa in the summer, and he wanted out, then I don't think anyone could stand in his way

Been a wonderful signing, but he's getting on a bit in football terms. Magnusson and Moore already here, ready made replacements

No way are these two ready made replacements. When crosses come in to our box, you just know Flint will win the header. Nobody else on our books gives me the same confidence. He's would be a huge loss.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Our most important player. Dont understand why we should accept anything other than a massive bid. Lansdown has said before that we don't need to sell but every player has a price. So lets put that price right up to 10 or more million and hope that's too much for any club to bid. 

I wouldn't want him to go as I think he is the heart of the team's spirit. However you shouldn't stand in his way if we get a good bid like £5m. We need players with potential to come here with the feeling they can make it to a big paying club. We aren't gonna compete with Villa on wages at this level. With Kodjia we have already got evidence to show to transfer targets and letting Flinty go would reinforce that.

Archived