IGNORED

Could Flint say no to Bruce

Major Isewater

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I think if it was the Baker we had here or the bombscare he was for Villa early season I`d have said no or even no,no.no but he`s twice the player now.

Agreed - Villa fans seemed well chuffed with the Baker/Chester combo though - be a real surprise if they break those two up to make way for Flinty

If Villa's interest is real then he'll be gone by mid July IMO. 

Boyhood Utd fan, come from laying tarmac to being managed by a Utd legend. Bigger ground, bigger fan base, much bigger club, better chance of promotion, pay rise...

i know what I'd do!

also leaves room for Maggy to come straight in as a replacement 

He's a gonner already probably, just a matter of how much for? Fair play to him though as he has been a bloody rock in a difficult season.Will be missed against the tall forwards but was vulnerable against the shorter quicker centre forwards IMO. But 100% Bristol City!

But money talks in the Championship and Villa will be hot favourites for the Prem next season.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I wouldn't rush to have Baker back personally

Big wages and would prefer the £££ to invest in someone like Barnsleys Roberts

Thought Baker allowed Flint to become comfortable in a back four.  Thought we always needed a back 3 with Flint last season, but I think Baker (younger than Flint) helped nurture him through.  Similar to what Flint did with Magnússon early season.

Roberts is the type of defender we should be after, but we are a season too late, his value will be much higher following an impressive debut season.

There are centre backs out there that might come at a good value.

Two spring to mind, not saying we should go there, but they are solid at this level as examples:

Alex Pearce

Liam Moore 

Moore, far to hastily written off on here, as we didn't really see him fully fit.  Look at what he's done at Reading.

For all the cult-hero status of Flint, I don't think he's an aggressive CB, I don't see him out-muscle his striker enough, and I don't think you have to have a warrior-type 'centre-half' these days.

Be interesting to see Bailey Wright on the right side of Magnússon or Taylor Moore (alongside Hördur).  I really think Moore will end up the real-deal.  Might not be here though!

I'd allow Flint to go for the right money.  I know some will think that's bonkers, but that is the project.

7 hours ago, Woodsy said:

If the Big Man was to get an offer from a club like Villa in the summer, and he wanted out, then I don't think anyone could stand in his way

Been a wonderful signing, but he's getting on a bit in football terms. Magnusson and Moore already here, ready made replacements

getting on a bit? you are joking aren't you?

I can only assume that most of the negative comments about Flint's ability or his speed or his age or his contribution this season (in which he's had to cover the inadequacies of just about every other defender - especially the full backs) were written to try to dissuade Villa, otherwise there are more people talking b.llocks on OTIB than normal just now.

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I can only assume that most of the negative comments about Flint's ability or his speed or his age or his contribution this season (in which he's had to cover the inadequacies of just about every other defender - especially the full backs) were written to try to dissuade Villa, otherwise there are more people talking b.llocks on OTIB than normal just now.

I think Flint could be even better in a well drilled , decent back four and it does concern me that we will manage to waste any fee for him , and more , trying to replace him

Sometimes you don't fully appreciate players until you don't have them anymore

same as Tammy, people suggesting we will just 'pluck' another goal scorer from somewhere , I hope we can but undoubtedly the toughest task of the summer

15 hours ago, Fatalist said:

No way are these two ready made replacements. When crosses come in to our box, you just know Flint will win the header. Nobody else on our books gives me the same confidence. He's would be a huge loss.

Absolutely get that point, but unless the other lads play then we're never going to know if they are up to it. Both are different players to Flint, more of a footballer than a first ball winner, but both look to be gems to me

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree we've got people to step in but not sure they would replicate his incredible scoring record...hasn't he scored something like 25 goals in the last three seasons? Or did I dream that?!

162 games, 27 goals - according to wiki. Pretty sure they only include league games, so any FA Cup, League Cup, PissPot goals won't count. From the promotion season onwards he's been fantastic

9 hours ago, pillred said:

getting on a bit? you are joking aren't you?

28 in the summer, one big contract left. So, no, not joking. I'm sure that is how Flint will look at it too

I don't want the bloke to go, I'd happily give him a 5 year deal today, but IF Villa come in......come on, it's Villa FFS. Could be a PL defender in 12 months. Can't let a guy pass up an opportunity like that

A lot of discussion on whether he should stay or go, but is there any truth in the rumour that Villa are interested? I saw it mentioned in the Bristol Post, but that doesn't mean much. 

13 hours ago, Redstart said:

If they offered us a wedge of cash and Baker back - would you take it?

Weirdly unpredictable temperament and injury prone. God knows what wages he's on too.

How many times did Baker lunge maniacally at an opposition forward or suddenly sit down on the pitch saying he needed to be subbed?

Flint is as dependable as they come temperamentally, has a fantastic appearance record, never gets suspended, and had to be dragged off that time at Shrewsbury even though he could barely walk with a season ending knee injury.

Baker may have changed, but I wouldn't want him here permanently judging by his loan.

14 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Flint is to slow and his technique is to poor. An average L1 donkey.

Far from it, he's proven to be a very solid Championship centre back and the extra value given by his exceptional temperament, his will to win, and the passionate example he sets for his team mates means there are very few players at this level I would swap for Flint.

He'd be even more formidable in a stronger all round Championship team where the players around him were better and the defence as a whole was less exposed and not under so much pressure.

Flint is a one-off imo. and barring a truly outstanding signing in his own ilk we'll undoubtedly be weaker, and in far more danger of going down, if he leaves.

13 hours ago, Redstart said:

Agreed - Villa fans seemed well chuffed with the Baker/Chester combo though - be a real surprise if they break those two up to make way for Flinty

Yes, 46 conceded in 44 games; 5th tighest defence in Championship. Flint as back-up, then? 

Reading (62 conceded) and Norwich (66, more than us) are some top/challenging at the top clubs more in need of improvement in defence (looking at the plain stats).

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Far from it, he's proven to be a very solid Championship centre back and the extra value given by his exceptional temperament, his will to win, and the passionate example he sets for his team mates means there are very few players at this level I would swap for Flint.

He'd be even more formidable in a stronger all round Championship team where the players around him were better and the defence as a whole was less exposed and not under so much pressure.

Flint is a one-off imo. and barring a truly outstanding signing in his own ilk we'll undoubtedly be weaker, and in far more danger of going down, if he leaves.

Absolutely , and on that last sentence . Can you imagine losing a 25 goal striker and your mainstay CB , and that in a poor season. Wouldn't look good for the coming year would it.

As for Moore, Vyner and Magnusson all having the potential to replace Flint.

Maybe they have but all very young and inexperienced (in Championship CB terms) and not one of these will be ready next season imo. In fact no guarantee they ever will be.

I like Hordur but he was burnt out by the time he was dropped - his form was visibly suffering and he was correctly taken out of the firing line by LJ. He's definitely got potential but he doesn't have the consistency or physical stamina to give any indication - so far - that he could replace the ever reliable Flint over a whole season.

Vyner seems to be viewed as a right back as much as CB and we've seen nothing so far to suggest he could be the physically dominating player in the middle in the Flint mould. If that's how City see him in the future he needs a season out on loan playing regularly at CB and then we'll have a better indication of his potential there.

Taylor Moore seems to have wildly impressed many against Hull. Not me.

Despite looking comfortable on the ball he was easily outmuscled and looked poor in the air, a fundamental aspect to a CB's game. Taylor's a keen and likeable individual who undoubtedly has some exciting aspects to his game but they're not all defensive and, again, he's nowhere near ready to be chucked in to replace a titan like Flint.

Ideally for Taylor he'd come in alongside the experienced Flint- but replace him? Really can't see it.

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

If Villa's interest is real then he'll be gone by mid July IMO. 

Boyhood Utd fan, come from laying tarmac to being managed by a Utd legend. Bigger ground, bigger fan base, much bigger club, better chance of promotion, pay rise...

i know what I'd do!

also leaves room for Maggy to come straight in as a replacement 

Im more worried about teams like Villa looking at Magnusson. Easy pickings for anyone taking a gamble I think, sadly.

Not sure if Flinty would take the gamble of moving to Villa, as people have said it would be hard to break up the current pairing and Flinty won't be a comfortable bench warmer. That said, if he doesn't go now then how many more chances are likely to come his way. I said this time last year I expected him to give us one more season, well we've had that.

Players like Flint are the bedrock upon which league football has been based. They rarely get the headlines, will hardly ever feature in the team of the decade or get international call ups.

But without an Aden Flint, very few teams would ever win any trophies because it's their solidity and consistency that makes successful teams.

I certainly hope he stays but with one caveat - However good and consistent he is, there always comes a time for someone to move on. That could be because he has become too good for us or that unless we make a change, we will not be able to see if there is better available. To keep him and continue as we are or sell him for a good profit and make more progress simply with a different person in that place?

It's a real poser for him. People who take jobs one station above their actual level soon become unhappy and want to turn the clock back, which is usually impossible. But stay and wonder for ever "Should I have gone to try it at a higher level?" could be even more upsetting for him.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think Flint could be even better in a well drilled , decent back four and it does concern me that we will manage to waste any fee for him , and more , trying to replace him

Sometimes you don't fully appreciate players until you don't have them anymore

same as Tammy, people suggesting we will just 'pluck' another goal scorer from somewhere , I hope we can but undoubtedly the toughest task of the summer

Flint is not a bad player, he's just not a sturdy Center Back, he needs good players around him to shine and at the moment we're short of good full backs. I'd love to keep him if we bring in two quality full backs as that would help him a lot. The issue is he's prone to mistakes without quality players around him and defence is definitely where we're weak at the moment when it comes to players who will take charge and lead.

Tammy... we're not going to get another Tammy without paying a lot of money, if we do we'll be one hell of a lucky team!

6 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Absolutely get that point, but unless the other lads play then we're never going to know if they are up to it. Both are different players to Flint, more of a footballer than a first ball winner, but both look to be gems to me

162 games, 27 goals - according to wiki. Pretty sure they only include league games, so any FA Cup, League Cup, PissPot goals won't count. From the promotion season onwards he's been fantastic

28 in the summer, one big contract left. So, no, not joking. I'm sure that is how Flint will look at it too

I don't want the bloke to go, I'd happily give him a 5 year deal today, but IF Villa come in......come on, it's Villa FFS. Could be a PL defender in 12 months. Can't let a guy pass up an opportunity like that

yes i suppose as far as a big contract and security are concerned, just that at my age hearing somebody is getting on a bit at 27 came as a bit of a shock!

53 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I've said it before and I stand by it still, Flint isnt good enough for the Premier League and he would be well out of his depth

I love the guy, so would love to be proved wrong. 

I tend to agree mate and deep down I think he knows it too. I don`t think I could bear him being ripped to shreds by MOTD after Aguero or Costa have turned him for the umpteenth time, it would be heartbreaking. After a few weeks of that he`d get loaned out to Sheff Utd or someone like that and never be heard of again.

Best if you stay in Bristol where you`re appreciated big man.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

yes i suppose as far as a big contract and security are concerned, just that at my age hearing somebody is getting on a bit at 27 came as a bit of a shock!

You'll get over it mate. When I first went down the city all the players were older than me. I'm 43 now so could still play in goal, or on the wing like Sir Stanley did until he was 50. If City want to offer me a 3 year deal I'll sign on for £5k a week. £2.5k for a Whitehead contact.

38 minutes ago, elruli said:

You'll get over it mate. When I first went down the city all the players were older than me. I'm 43 now so could still play in goal, or on the wing like Sir Stanley did until he was 50. If City want to offer me a 3 year deal I'll sign on for £5k a week. £2.5k for a Whitehead contact.

I know how you feel mate. First it`s the players that are younger than you then the officials and lastly, and most depressingly, the managers.

I can now remember seeing most managers play as fresh faced youngsters getting their first taste of league football.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I know how you feel mate. First it`s the players that are younger than you then the officials and lastly, and most depressingly, the managers.

I can now remember seeing most managers play as fresh faced youngsters getting their first taste of league football.

Lucky sod, I don't remember them at all .

Now , where's my glasses to .

Archived