IGNORED

Could Flint say no to Bruce

Major Isewater

Flint is a donkey who is good with his head but not good with much else - he is a great bloke who is totally committed and a great servant of the club. Sadly he is barely good enough for the championship and would get cleaned out in the prem - I would bite their hand off for 1 mill let alone 5 !!

1 hour ago, longyears said:

Flint is a donkey who is good with his head but not good with much else - he is a great bloke who is totally committed and a great servant of the club. Sadly he is barely good enough for the championship and would get cleaned out in the prem - I would bite their hand off for 1 mill let alone 5 !!

A donkey ?

Really ?

A donkey ?

Find me a donkey that can score with Rabonas and back heels

He has some limitations , he's not Messi on the deck but a donkey ......

Unbelievable

For a challenge - name me half a dozen better centre halves we've had in say the last 30 yrs

2 hours ago, longyears said:

Appalling thing to say about a very good honest pro who gives 100% every match, has respect for the supporters. He knows that he isn't a Messi type of footballer but not everyone can be. He works hard for the club paying his salary and for the supporters.

Whether he wants to go to the prem depends on offers from other clubs and his own ambitions but don't insult him in that way.

PS. I'd put him up there with Jack White, Jack Connor, Gary Collier, David Rodgers, Shaun Taylor, Rob Newman and apologies to any I've missed. City greats! 

11 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As for Moore, Vyner and Magnusson all having the potential to replace Flint.

Maybe they have but all very young and inexperienced (in Championship CB terms) and not one of these will be ready next season imo. In fact no guarantee they ever will be.

I like Hordur but he was burnt out by the time he was dropped - his form was visibly suffering and he was correctly taken out of the firing line by LJ. He's definitely got potential but he doesn't have the consistency or physical stamina to give any indication - so far - that he could replace the ever reliable Flint over a whole season.

Vyner seems to be viewed as a right back as much as CB and we've seen nothing so far to suggest he could be the physically dominating player in the middle in the Flint mould. If that's how City see him in the future he needs a season out on loan playing regularly at CB and then we'll have a better indication of his potential there.

Taylor Moore seems to have wildly impressed many against Hull. Not me.

Despite looking comfortable on the ball he was easily outmuscled and looked poor in the air, a fundamental aspect to a CB's game. Taylor's a keen and likeable individual who undoubtedly has some exciting aspects to his game but they're not all defensive and, again, he's nowhere near ready to be chucked in to replace a titan like Flint.

Ideally for Taylor he'd come in alongside the experienced Flint- but replace him? Really can't see it.

I can understand your thoughts on Moore on the physical side, but for me that is the art of management in finding the right partnership (especially whilst he develops, matures).  Perhaps you go out and get a big, physical one to compliment him, or another quick'un and play a high line.

I like the physicality Wright has brought, but I reckon we will see more from him if he played right side of a two.

I'd like Flint to stay, but if the money is right, then we should have plans in place to find the next Aden Flint.

Most of the analysis in this thread is of Flint's playing ability. I think his leadership qualities are probably just as important and we shouldn't overlook the impact he has in that regard. Losing that "voice" in the dressing room could be really meaningful, more than the odd header he clears or misses here or there. 

18 hours ago, pillred said:

yes i suppose as far as a big contract and security are concerned, just that at my age hearing somebody is getting on a bit at 27 came as a bit of a shock!

Ha - depends how old you are, I guess!!

Turned 44 not so long back, Flint is but a pup to me!

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Appalling thing to say about a very good honest pro who gives 100% every match, has respect for the supporters. He knows that he isn't a Messi type of footballer but not everyone can be. He works hard for the club paying his salary and for the supporters.

Whether he wants to go to the prem depends on offers from other clubs and his own ambitions but don't insult him in that way.

PS. I'd put him up there with Jack White, Jack Connor, Gary Collier, David Rodgers, Shaun Taylor, Rob Newman and apologies to any I've missed. City greats! 

Dickie Rooks. :P

59 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Most of the analysis in this thread is of Flint's playing ability. I think his leadership qualities are probably just as important and we shouldn't overlook the impact he has in that regard. Losing that "voice" in the dressing room could be really meaningful, more than the odd header he clears or misses here or there. 

Very good point. To the best of my knowledge, Aden, has never captained us on the pitch but I would put money on him being a leader in the dressing room. 

He's probably one of the best scoring centre-halfs I've seen, I can't really remember many others. Maybe shaun Taylor in our promotion year and Rob Newman but he played in more than one position. Both were limited for pace. Probably the quickest was Keith curle but he didn't score as many as those mentioned above.

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

How have you failed to mention Louis Carey :blink:

1 hour ago, City Ben said:

devils advocate - how do you know he is a voice in the dressing room?

Genuine question actually, because I dont know one way or the other

A lot of "Not good enough for the Prem" comments on here - Probably the same lot that said he wasn't good enough for league one when we first signed him. 

If you ask me Flints biggest strengths are that he knows his limitations but is always striving to improve. The guy came from Non league and has constantly improved at every level he has played. Lets also not forget that he had Andy Carroll in his pocket for 90 minutes a couple of seasons back. 

He may never make it as a top level defender, he certainly isn't premier league level right now, but to write him off when he has shown such improvement and determination to get better over the last 3 years is very harsh imo.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

A lot of "Not good enough for the Prem" comments on here - Probably the same lot that said he wasn't good enough for league one when we first signed him. 

If you ask me Flints biggest strengths are that he knows his limitations but is always striving to improve. The guy came from Non league and has constantly improved at every level he has played. Lets also not forget that he had Andy Carroll in his pocket for 90 minutes a couple of seasons back. 

He may never make it as a top level defender, he certainly isn't premier league level right now, but to write him off when he has shown such improvement and determination to get better over the last 3 years is very harsh imo.

fair comment

I never wrote him off for league 1 in fairness. I was sceptical about the step up to championship and admittedly havent seen enough of him there to comment but judging by here (i know i know) it seems the opinion on him in terms of ability is a little split.

Like I said, would love to see him make it, and we would miss his presence and passion. However if a Prem club offered any sizeable amount we'd be silly not to take it

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

One thing is certain that when Flint leaves this club he will be hugely missed.

:sad26:

He is a massive influence , the sort of bloke you want on your side . 

Exactly. I certainly wouldn't fancy our chances playing against him. 

Say it goes really sour and we get Swindon type comments aimed at us. :sad26:

Would I begrudge Flint a move to Villa? No.  Would I be gutted to see him go? Most certainly. Limitations aside - and I don't think there are many when you consider he clears most balls that come his way & is a scoring CB - I miss the club talismans of old that used to be plentiful. Flint has a chance to be one of the City legends, a 10 year player and I for one hope he stays.

His passion for the club is currently unrivaled among the players.

Archived