IGNORED

The Colston Hall (Merged)

Bristol Rob

5 hours ago, The Batman said:

will always been known as the Colston Hall regardless of what they change it to.

Similar to that of the NEC and NIA in Birmingham. Neither of which are known as those anymore, but everyone still calls them as such.

It does set a very dangerous precedent though.

I'd like all Scandinavian names removed from the city in light of the Vikings.

I'd like all Italian names removed from the city in light of the Roman Empire.

I'd like all German names removed from the city in light of the Nazi's

I'd like all Turkish names removed from the city in light of the Ottoman Empire

I'd like all Russian names removed from the city in light of the Soviet atrocity's .

I'd like all Iranian names removed from the city in light of the Persian Empire.

and finally, and this will be the best one, i'd like all Indian, Pakistani, Yemen & Oman names removed from the city in light of their actions in the Arabic Slave Trade.

Some more will come to me, feel free to add your own.

exactly...................where the f@@k do you stop, I am half scots, I want a full apology for the massacre at Culloden from the english and a full apology from the Scots for the massacre at Bannockburn, and as for the Nazis bombing Bristol when my dad was an ARP warden 

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

They have been targeted in a similar way too ... thankfully, so far, to no avail.

They better keep their warped little eyes off of Christmas Steps too (surely only a matter of time? ) 

If Guy Gibson ( Dambusters ) was around he wouldn't be able to take his dog for a walk and call him back :grr:

5 hours ago, The Batman said:

London's name was derived from Londinium - given to it by the Romans in the 1st century.

Roman's had slaves.

London must change it's name immediately. 

Careful........the centre of the Universe....London..............bigger sh**hole than Baadiff and thats saying something.

You can always tell a Londoner....................but you cannot tell them much :P:worship2:

28 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Another victory for the PC MOB

That's not the real reason but the way it's being interpreted by the media and the PC mob. One of them was on local news just now and it was pointed out to her about the other Colston references in Bristol including his statue and she said "yes, we've only just started" Wtf?     :facepalm:

The reality is that the trustees can seek commercial backing and therefore greater financial revenue for the new name. That's why it won't change until 2020. It'll give them time to find the most lucrative financial deal. 

Will Bristol have to be renamed?

The argument for the name change appears to be association i.e. Colston was associated with the slave trade, slavery is bad, change all things associated with Colston.

Did Bristol benefit (along with the likes of Liverpool) benefit from slave trading?
Is Bristol then not associated with slavery?
Ergo, do we need to change the City name?

This is looking at the arguments simply, however I've not seen any real arguments for this name change.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't particularly support the name change but find it weird people are getting so worked up over this. Gig and concert venues change their names all the time and I can't help feeling that, if they decided to change their name to something for commercial reasons or just to modernise or whatever and it did not give an opportunity for people to jump on their high horses over political correctness, nobody would bat on eyelid.

Ultimately the trustees have chosen to change the name. They're the trustees and that's their decision. I can't find any reason to have any more sympathy with the people who are insisting it should not be changed than the people who are insisting it should be changed. As far as I can see, both seem to be trying to insist they have the right to tell the trustees what it should or should not be called. They can call it what they like as far as I'm concerned and don't see why anyone else feels the need to involve themselves on either side of the debate. 

It's the reason they gave for it. I.e. the name Colston is toxic.

Not the fact they choose to rename it.

Maybe they should move the building as well so it's not on Colston street if it is so toxic.

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's not the real reason but the way it's being interpreted by the media and the PC mob. One of them was on local news just now and it was pointed out to her about the other Colston references in Bristol including his statue and she said "yes, we've only just started" Wtf?     :facepalm:

The reality is that the trustees can seek commercial backing and therefore greater financial revenue for the new name. That's why it won't change until 2020. It'll give them time to find the most lucrative financial deal. 

Did she also say she wants to get the name of her old school changed!!!! 

Bet she was happy to tell her friends that her mummy and daddy have paid for her to go to Colston School

15 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Did she also say she wants to get the name of her old school changed!!!! 

Bet she was happy to tell her friends that her mummy and daddy have paid for her to go to Colston School

She did. She added that the pupils there should be taught more about Colston and how he made his fortune.

These types....jeez......:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I'm not normally one for "PC gone mad" etc but this is a load of utter nonsense 

"Oh dear, we've got an inconvenient history so we'll expunge it from memory."

How are kids supposed to learn about slavery and its part in the making of their city if they hide the evidence?

Exactly. It's much better to keep the name and explain who funded it and how. Kids aren't then going to think 'oh he did alright by trading slaves, I'll think I'll have a go at that' are they. More good will come from taking about our Cities history than trying to hide it. 

One family member here was so angry at all the PC people on the news he said 'if they are so upset about it being built from slave money tell them to knock it down and see if they will agree to that!'

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly. It's much better to keep the name and explain who funded it and how. Kids aren't then going to think 'oh he did alright by trading slaves, I'll think I'll have a go at that' are they. More good will come from taking about our Cities history than trying to hide it. 

One family member here was so angry at all the PC people on the news he said 'if they are so upset about it being built from slave money tell them to knock it down and see if they will agree to that!'

I must admit my view on the whole thing is best summed up as:
give_a_fuck.gif

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I'm not normally one for "PC gone mad" etc but this is a load of utter nonsense 

"Oh dear, we've got an inconvenient history so we'll expunge it from memory."

How are kids supposed to learn about slavery and its part in the making of their city if they hide the evidence?

Through books and teachers like most lessons? 

Its not about hiding evidence, it's about not honouring those who are unworthy. 

Would you want to sit in the Atyeo stand if you found out he was a murderer?*

*obviously he wasn't but just a comparison.

20 hours ago, Selred said:

It's named after a slave trader.

The hall will still be there, but any links to a man with a heinous past will be abolished. 

A good thing in my view. Lets name places after people who have a proud history, not keep things in the past because you've been to a few great concerts there. 

Nelson Mandela hall?

11 hours ago, RedM said:

It wasn't funded by colston it was called colston hall because it is in colston street. Change that name as well? 

8 hours ago, Selred said:

Through books and teachers like most lessons? 

Its not about hiding evidence, it's about not honouring those who are unworthy. 

Would you want to sit in the Atyeo stand if you found out he was a murderer?*

*obviously he wasn't but just a comparison.

Colston was a man of his time!. Way back then slavery was perfectly acceptable nor  illegal. His memory is being judged by today's modernity. 

Ridiculous in my view.

There is a well written notice in St Marys Redcliffe. Various merchants contributed to the build and to its upkeep over the centuries. The church states "it's part of our history, it not a proud part of the history but one we have to use as a reminder to the horrors we have committed to each other" not word for word but along those lines. 

Will they remove the piece of tram line from the rear of the church in case it reminds any visiting Germans of another sad part of history. Whatever next?

18 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Directions to the PC named theatre...

If you are approaching from COLSTON school, you'll find it on COLSTON Street, just behind COLSTON Tower.....

Diggers and a wrecking ball up by the Colston Tower this morning mate. It'll be gone be lunch.

On 27/04/2017 at 08:40, Robbored said:

Colston was a man of his time!. Way back then slavery was perfectly acceptable nor  illegal. His memory is being judged by today's modernity. 

Ridiculous in my view.

Exactly. At the time there were thousands of people from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY who invested in the slave trade just as people invest in stocks and shares etc today. Widows in Hartlepool, army veterans in York all invested their savings in the trade as it was a lucrative business. Virtually everybody who had any money to invest in this country invested a fair bit of it in this trade. There were, for many years, very few who objected.

I would be very surprised if prominent figures at the time didn't make some money from the trade, through investments, such as Jonathan Swift, and even if he didn't then indirectly he would've through his books being bought by a more affluent populace due to investments in this trade. Should Gulliver's Travels be burned and ebook versions zapped from all our devices? Should the works of Cicero, Aristophanes, Plato, Aeschylus, Euripides etc be dispensed with in similar fashion because their wealth etc was acquired from living in a slave owning society?

Who is to say that in 300 years from now the eating of animals will be viewed as abhorrent. Would that mean that Steve Lansdown's name will then have to be air brushed from history and Bristol City FC would declare his name toxic because he profited from the selling of meat products at the ground on match days?

Someone said on Radio 2 yesterday that if it was called the Jimmy Saville Hall we would soon want it changed, so what is the difference? But, as Robbored has illustrated, there is a significant difference. Saville broke the law and disgusted the public at the time, not in retrospect. Colston broke no laws at the time and disgusted possibly only a small minority of the public. Indeed, a far greater proportion would've reverred him due to his increasing the value of their investments and his philanthropy in Bristol.

I wish people would stop messing about with history and judge people in the time they lived in. As mentioned earlier, this nonsense could be applied to us by future generations who will find some of the things we do abhorrent. Although, my legacy should be pretty well ok as I'm a vegetarian!

On 26 April 2017 at 04:58, The Batman said:

will always been known as the Colston Hall regardless of what they change it to.

Similar to that of the NEC and NIA in Birmingham. Neither of which are known as those anymore, but everyone still calls them as such.

It does set a very dangerous precedent though.

I'd like all Scandinavian names removed from the city in light of the Vikings.

I'd like all Italian names removed from the city in light of the Roman Empire.

I'd like all German names removed from the city in light of the Nazi's

I'd like all Turkish names removed from the city in light of the Ottoman Empire

I'd like all Russian names removed from the city in light of the Soviet atrocity's .

I'd like all Iranian names removed from the city in light of the Persian Empire.

and finally, and this will be the best one, i'd like all Indian, Pakistani, Yemen & Oman names removed from the city in light of their actions in the Arabic Slave Trade.

Some more will come to me, feel free to add your own.

the Roman baths

Archived