IGNORED

Joey Barton Banned For 18 Months

Taz

30 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

As long as it ain't on there team or you could even have it so they are not allowed to bet on there teams division i don't see why there not allowed to bet. Its the same as the way people moan about a player going out on the piss on there night off there human and just like the rest of us after all. We wanna have a cheeky flutter we can and anyone of us really could get a player to help us fix game's if we had the money and influence to do so. 

Technically insider trading if allowed to bet on a different team in a different league. Hypothetical now but if Joe Bloggs plays for Man U in the Prem but his mate plays for Fleetwood in L1, his mate could tell him about possible injuries/arguments/weaknesses in the Fleetwood team which would affect any bet placed on a Fleetwood match.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I do think he has a point about the hypocrisy of the FA and the PL being in bed with several bookmakers and allowing them to constantly shove adverts down everyone's throats, especially those ones with Ray Winstone which make me want to puke. No excuse for breaking the rules of course, but valid points all the same

Agree wholeheartedly

I must admit I`ve never seen the issue with backing your own team to win in fact haven`t there been chairmen in the past who`ve lumped a load on their team to get promoted and used the dosh to pay the players` promotion bonuses if it happened? I seem to remember the chairman of Burnley or Bradford or someone like that doing it.

The man really is a bell-end of the highest order.

Was just reading the story on the Guardian, and see something of a conflict between:

The 34-year-old, currently registered as a player with Burnley in the Premier League, accepted Football Association charges that accused him of having placed 1,260 bets on football matches between 2006 and 2013. This figure included at least five matches in which Barton was a player. Professional footballers are banned from making any bets on their own sport.

and this:

he said, “[....]. To be clear from the outset here this is not match fixing and at no point in any of this is my integrity in question.

4 hours ago, Taz said:

Just seen that he's been banned for 18 months for breaking betting regulations.

Also banned for all football activities.

Seems like football's being hit today, what with this and the goings on with West Ham and Newcastle!!

serves him right - he knew the rules

Barton clearly has an addiction problem.  It is a mental illness.  Come on folks this is 2017 and he needs help.  Have you all missed the two Princes' campaign

There is far too much betting around football, especially tv betting on Sky.  In my opinion this should be banned.  Any one of us, given certain circumstances, could find ourselves in Barton's position.  Why did his clubs not give help?  The answer I suppose is they are just as guilty as the majority of firms in this country who do not react positively, if at all, to mental health problems

I have never met the guy, but I feel nothing but sorrow for the position he finds himself in.  I hope he gets the help he needs. 

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Barton clearly has an addiction problem.  It is a mental illness.  Come on folks this is 2017 and he needs help.  Have you all missed the two Princes' campaign

There is far too much betting around football, especially tv betting on Sky.  In my opinion this should be banned.  Any one of us, given certain circumstances, could find ourselves in Barton's position.  Why did his clubs not give help?  The answer I suppose is they are just as guilty as the majority of firms in this country who do not react positively, if at all, to mental health problems

I have never met the guy, but I feel nothing but sorrow for the position he finds himself in.  I hope he gets the help he needs. 

Not sure he will want it - as he could have done it before if he did.

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

He might be a bellend but he obviously has an issue with gambling.

I hope he gets the help he needs. 

Perhaps when he does, he can become a better person in general and not just the arrogant tit we all see.

A couple of bets a week over a 10 year period. Is that a problem?

My apologies if he does have a problem, I wasnt aware that he has an addiction as such. 

43 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

A couple of bets a week over a 10 year period. Is that a problem?

My apologies if he does have a problem, I wasnt aware that he has an addiction as such. 

your right. But he may have a problem - people on here are guessing as usual!

5 minutes ago, iamsober said:

your right. But he may have a problem - people on here are guessing as usual!

Just read his statement and he admits he has a problem. But there is so much one can bet on why not ignore football! I agree he needs help and it looks like early retirement for him so needs help soon!

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Looks like they've thrown the book at him. If it was by Nietzsche, he'd claim to have read it.

I've only heard of Nietzsche because a reference was made to reading Nietzsche in 'Coming to America'. Intellectual that I am.

6 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I do think he has a point about the hypocrisy of the FA and the PL being in bed with several bookmakers and allowing them to constantly shove adverts down everyone's throats, especially those ones with Ray Winstone which make me want to puke. No excuse for breaking the rules of course, but valid points all the same.

I disagree with this. I'm a ROI fan and whilst it's extremely irksome to lose your captain it's unlucky. Obviously not a great tackle but not worthy of a longer ban under the current rules. Surprised that Ramos only got one game, wasn't it a straight red?

Just think they should start issuing some 3 or even four games for some of the outrageous tackles , Taylor's being one if not intentional

Ramis's was as bad if not worse than Taylor's but luckily Messi was skilful enough to save himself and was a straight red !!!! 

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

He should have had a lifetime ban for stubbing a cigar in some kid's eye, the whey faced, ratboy brute.

While Barton is a ***** of the highest order, reading up on said player, someone should do alot worse to him now. A right scumbag.

The only part I agree with is that the FA doesn't do enough to help with people with potential gambling addictions and that its a case of they just punish those who do it instead. However to bet on your own league let alone your own team yourself to score first as he did is just idiotic, while it would still be banned if he'd just bet on say Australian football or something where he has no influence the FA may have taken a different view of it. 

All those calling him obscenities and having no sympathy obviously have no concept of addictions. You cannot apply rational logic to this, it just doesn't work. Whilst I agree he's made a lot of mistakes throughout his career, you cannot underestimate the power of an addiction. It doesn't matter about his status or earnings, it's like a disease, just like alcoholism. 

Everyone saying Barton is the lowest form of life, but when everyone knew about Gazza's alcohol addiction they just felt sad and sympathetic and wanted him to get better. Just saying.....

10 hours ago, Emjay said:

All those calling him obscenities and having no sympathy obviously have no concept of addictions. You cannot apply rational logic to this, it just doesn't work. Whilst I agree he's made a lot of mistakes throughout his career, you cannot underestimate the power of an addiction. It doesn't matter about his status or earnings, it's like a disease, just like alcoholism. 

Everyone saying Barton is the lowest form of life, but when everyone knew about Gazza's alcohol addiction they just felt sad and sympathetic and wanted him to get better. Just saying.....

Whilst I do agree to some extent, I think peoples opinions of Barton are already low due to his previous exploits. The cigar incident comes to mind immediately.

He's just not a likeable bloke, and it's as if he almost has to be in the media for something other than football, as he isn't at the same level as your Scholes', Beckham's, Messi's and Ronaldos.

I hope he gets the help he needs for his own sake. He is still a knob though.

• Admin
10 hours ago, Emjay said:

Very true @Emjay

What is interesting when a popular player (Paul Merson) came out with his problems the FA / PFA couldn't do enough to help him

An un-popular player (Joey Barton) gets banned, basically finishes his career and is now open to bet on anything in football he wants!

Archived