IGNORED

Joey Barton Banned For 18 Months

Taz

Just seen that he's been banned for 18 months for breaking betting regulations.

Also banned for all football activities.

Seems like football's being hit today, what with this and the goings on with West Ham and Newcastle!!

4 minutes ago, Super said:

blimey! Can Burnley sack him? Sure they don't want to keep paying him for doing nothing for 18 months.

Banned from all football activities - his contract is therefore surely incapable of being performed properly.  It's likely they don't even need to sack him as his contract is now meaningless.

If not then at the least this must be gross misconduct.  Surely they can terminate his contract immediately.

10 minutes ago, Taz said:

Just seen that he's been banned for 18 months for breaking betting regulations.

Also banned for all football activities.

Seems like football's being hit today, what with this and the goings on with West Ham and Newcastle!!

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke!!! Bet against his own team to lose! Di'ckead!

edit

@petehinton great minds and all that!

21 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke!!! Bet against his own team to lose! Di'ckead!

edit

@petehinton great minds and all that!

Didn't see that bit. As you said proves what a knob he is. Betting is one thing but to do it when you can directly influence the result is something else. 

And to think, some people wanted him here not so long ago. Trouble follows the bloke, deserves a lot more than an 18 month ban.

Never really been a fan of him but reading up on this it does sound like he's been quite harshly treated. The games where he's bet on his own team he's never been in the squad, he's either been injured,suspended or not picked so it's not like he's been match fixing, he's also lost most of his bets!

Most bans for similar offences are six months, most bans for people that have betted on games they're involved in are twelve months, Barton got eighteen months :blink: I get giving him a larger fine as he's a high profile player but the length of ban, effectively forcing him to retire seems harsh. He's appealing and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets it reduced.

39 minutes ago, petehinton said:

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, confirmed that he's retired from football as a result.

is now blaming the FA, as he claims to have a gambling addiction and the FA gave him no help.

the guy is, and always has been, a complete *****.

Wonder if he bet on this outcome......

Despite what you think of the bloke, the ban does seem overly harsh

He's obviously got a problem - I hope that he uses the early retirement as a tool to help out other players in the same position. Lets not pretend that JB is the only player doing this.....

I do think he has a point about the hypocrisy of the FA and the PL being in bed with several bookmakers and allowing them to constantly shove adverts down everyone's throats, especially those ones with Ray Winstone which make me want to puke. No excuse for breaking the rules of course, but valid points all the same.

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Meanwhile Neil Taylor has got a two game ban for the tackle that broke Seamus Colemans leg

Madness

How is that a deterrent for such challenges

I also see Ramos got only one game for his deadful challenge in El Classico

Glad we've got the priorities right

I disagree with this. I'm a ROI fan and whilst it's extremely irksome to lose your captain it's unlucky. Obviously not a great tackle but not worthy of a longer ban under the current rules. Surprised that Ramos only got one game, wasn't it a straight red?

Unfortunately his antecedent history precedes him. Some have said and he believes the punishment is unfair. I do wonder if he hadn't had the rep he has, it would be a lesser sanction.

Some might say Karma is a bitch. If you look beyond his previous ills, he clearly has a gambling addiction. One which blights the game and is a serious problem, almost an illness. Regardless of what you think of him and I am in no way an apologist. I hope he gets some form of help with his addiction.

As long as it ain't on there team or you could even have it so they are not allowed to bet on there teams division i don't see why there not allowed to bet. Its the same as the way people moan about a player going out on the piss on there night off there human and just like the rest of us after all. We wanna have a cheeky flutter we can and anyone of us really could get a player to help us fix game's if we had the money and influence to do so. 

Archived