IGNORED

Memories of our finest hour

Kingswood Robin

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

Very sad to hear the news story that Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles and Ray Wilson all suffering from dementia. Apparently they have very little or no memory of the finest hour in English football for which they played such a major part. A cruel disease indeed.

And Jackie Charlton. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Research is underway looking at that theory. Alan Shearer has volunteered to take part.

Sadly too late for many people

Nowadays the balls are so light surely it can't compare to what they used to play with?

8 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Those old footballs used to weigh a ton when they got wet

I can remember them as a boy back in the 60s. Some were covered with light plastic and not too heavy when wet but others weighted a ton in the rain.

We always used the covered balls! 

I don't remember heading a wet ball......oh.....hang on......:facepalm:

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Martin peters must have been one of the youngest in the squad . Any idea how old he is ? 

73 - his dechline has been really rapid according to Sir Geoff

Was a great header of the ball in his day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/30/how-ill-health-cursed-englands-1966-world-cup-winners/martin-peters/

Gordon Banks said that out of a squad of 20, 3 having dementia is just the national average. However, like an earlier poster I thought Jackie Charlton was suffering also. Maybe he has a different mental illness.

I don't think it will be an issue going forward as the balls they use nowadays are so light.

9 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Gordon Banks said that out of a squad of 20, 3 having dementia is just the national average. However, like an earlier poster I thought Jackie Charlton was suffering also. Maybe he has a different mental illness.

I don't think it will be an issue going forward as the balls they use nowadays are so light.

Just been doing a bit of googling and the last World Cup to use a leather ball was in 1982 and even that was much lighter (and for the first time was water resistant) than the ones used in previous years. Hopefully that means that anyone who`s career began in the mid eighties should not suffer the same problems.

Archived