IGNORED

Next season..

Big Red Rich

5 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

Just imagine.. no Tammy & more LJ signings. Can't wait!!! 

Wasn't Tammy an LJ signing..?

As were the excellent Patterson, Brownhill, Wright, amongst others who have shown some promise. 

25 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As were the excellent Patterson, Brownhill, Wright, amongst others who have shown some promise. 

so excellent that Pat and Wright played 22 each and Brownhill 30; our manager has also played some 24 different players in various plans and formations; he has spent millions on players and will need to do likewise in the summer, then will still have no clue as to what team to play next season; he will again hope he can stumble across the best team formation and that there will be 3 worse teams and managers to save his job.

Round and round we will go.

8 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

so excellent that Pat and Wright played 22 each and Brownhill 30; our manager has also played some 24 different players in various plans and formations; he has spent millions on players and will need to do likewise in the summer, then will still have no clue as to what team to play next season; he will again hope he can stumble across the best team formation and that there will be 3 worse teams and managers to save his job.

What??  Wright has played almost every match since we was signed; Paterson has had spells of injury and, by his own admission, was not doing well enough to be picked; Brownhill is a young player who has been in the match day squad virtually all season.  24 players is hardly a high number to use these days - didn't we see a team using squad numbers in the 50s and 60s recently?

i've had real doubts about Johnson myself, but postings like this make me want to play devil's advocate.  In any case, I've seen enough in the last month or two to give me confidence that we will do better next season.  

In any case, as you say, round and round we go.  That's football.

48 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Welcome to OTIB. Don't bother talking sense. This is where the moaners come when no one at the actual games will listen to them. You go to a game and chat with normal people you'll get sensible answers. On here it's he chopped and changed the starting XI. Well yea, we won like 2 in 25. I'd have tried different things too. Then it's we invested too much in youth. Well it's mostly youth playing with Little probably the oldest of the bunch who everyone wants to upgrade anyway. Then look at our highest earners in Matthews, O'Neil and Tomlin. How have they played? When your 3 highest paid players don't show up and you were counting on them and built a team around them then it might take awhile to find the solution. 

Anyway, the moaners are going to moan because it's what they enjoy. 

25 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

With such a large squad LJ was searching for much of the season for the right formation and combination of players. He finally got there and consequently results have improved.

If Blackburn fail to win on Saturday we would  be safe by the time we play at Brighton.

55 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What??  Wright has played almost every match since we was signed; Paterson has had spells of injury and, by his own admission, was not doing well enough to be picked; Brownhill is a young player who has been in the match day squad virtually all season.  24 players is hardly a high number to use these days - didn't we see a team using squad numbers in the 50s and 60s recently?

i've had real doubts about Johnson myself, but postings like this make me want to play devil's advocate.  In any case, I've seen enough in the last month or two to give me confidence that we will do better next season.  

In any case, as you say, round and round we go.  That's football.

I wouldn't take any notice of the numbers worn on shirts, for example Bailey wears number 42, yet we don't have a 40, 41, 43 etc. A quick count shows we have about 28 players including loans in and out which doesn't seem excessive really. I can see we would be moving a few on though and replacing with a couple less, more quality than quantity.

The less players we have the less opportunity there will be to mix it up. That will either lead to a settled, tight knit team or complacency, it's getting the balance right Lee has struggled with it seems.

Let's be honest, despite the season. Ring crap and LJ tactics and coach being brought into question, any club that introduces 15 new first team players is going to struggle due to them not knowing each other's game, some used to a different pace etc etc. They need good time to gel. 

I like to think this has finally happened and they have all clicked. Maybe what we need is very few transfers if any and stick with what we've got as they have shown the ability over the last few games and are starting to work together as a unit.

only a couple of the old heads maybe require replacing with similar experienced players and the big one Tammy although the hope is we can have him for a second season.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

With such a large squad LJ was searching for much of the season for the right formation and combination of players. He finally got there and consequently results have improved.

If Blackburn fail to win on Saturday we would  be safe by the time we play at Brighton.

Issue is though he's gonna look to sign at least another 7 first reamers this summer which means he only knew his best team for 6-7 games. 

This current XI will be torn up and the his first team will be an experimental laboritory by August as he goes looking all over again. Will it take as long as this season or will he discover his best team before he's booted will be the big question.  

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

That should be the OTIB motto...

31 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Issue is though he's gonna look to sign at least another 7 first reamers this summer which means he only knew his best team for 6-7 games. 

This current XI will be torn up and the his first team will be an experimental laboritory by August as he goes looking all over again. Will it take as long as this season or will he discover his best team before he's booted will be the big question.  

There was a quote doing the rounds on here the other day where he said that possibly he had too big a squad to work with.

Which, aside from the fact that it was his decision to go with a squad that size in the first place, may suggest that he's looking to work with a smaller group next season. 

37 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

That's the thing, he doesn't need to though. 6 at most- and at least one or two of those would be for depth, competition or to replace the loanees.

That's what should happen anyway.

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Let's hope so! 

Always got hope beginning of a new season. LJ has a lot to prove. And he has to start well. But the op to start moaning about next season is ridiculous. We could sign some good players or we could be absolutely shit . But let's wait and see . I totally agree with what super posted. But as u say . Let's hope so :pray:

Next season we could reap the rewards for buying younger players last summer, they didn't have Championship experience at the start but the performances now are looking very promising, especially at home. When you consider we could also have the likes of Taylor Moore playing at right back after playing regular football at Bury we only really need to replace Tammy and possibly Wilbs if he's not given another year. Another experienced full back would be a good idea as I can see Scott Golbourne being shipped out as well as Matthews. We were hit at the start of the season by the departure of Kodjia, that wasn't planned and happened so late in the window, Engvall was a bit of a panic buy I would guess. If we'd had Kodjia and Tammy this season then we'd have easily been top half.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

Next season we could reap the rewards for buying younger players last summer, they didn't have Championship experience at the start but the performances now are looking very promising, especially at home. When you consider we could also have the likes of Taylor Moore playing at right back after playing regular football at Bury we only really need to replace Tammy and possibly Wilbs if he's not given another year. Another experienced full back would be a good idea as I can see Scott Golbourne being shipped out as well as Matthews. We were hit at the start of the season by the departure of Kodjia, that wasn't planned and happened so late in the window, Engvall was a bit of a panic buy I would guess. If we'd had Kodjia and Tammy this season then we'd have easily been top half.

Do we know if Moore's been playing at RB or CB for them? 

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Team with most players used this season - Wigan: 41

Least players used - Leeds/Huddersfield: 25

Average players used by Championship teams: 31

Bristol City: 32 

About average then.

Some of those stats shock me 

Where did you get them from Joe ?

Talk about the modern game !

Amazed the least is 25 

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

When we got promotion to the old first division back in 1976, didn't we use only about 14 players?  

Also, when the Gas pipped us to the old 3rd division title in 1990, they fielded the same line-up in their first and last games of the season.

How things have changed...

I think they replaced nigel martyn and Gary Penrice for Brian parkin and Dennis Bailey or Tony sealed. I think martyn went for a million to palace?

56 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Always got hope beginning of a new season. LJ has a lot to prove. And he has to start well. But the op to start moaning about next season is ridiculous. We could sign some good players or we could be absolutely shit . But let's wait and see . I totally agree with what super posted. But as u say . Let's hope so :pray:

Traditionally I've always thought we'd have a good chance of promotion when we're in the Third division and a good chance of a relegation struggle when we kick off in the Second or , God forbid , the First . 

City til I die .

Archived