IGNORED

Video refs to be introduced for Russian 2018 World cup

I like the idea of video refs. I just hope they get it right. I don't really like it for offsides for example. Do you do it only if it directly leads to a goal? What if it gets them into a dangerous position when it isn't called and their are a few passes afterwards, what then? Football has too much up for interpretation to use it to get everything right. Goal line technology was a perfect addition to the game but I'm not sure adding much more makes for the same product. 

51 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I like the idea of video refs. I just hope they get it right. I don't really like it for offsides for example. Do you do it only if it directly leads to a goal? What if it gets them into a dangerous position when it isn't called and their are a few passes afterwards, what then? Football has too much up for interpretation to use it to get everything right. Goal line technology was a perfect addition to the game but I'm not sure adding much more makes for the same product. 

I would imagine the video reviews will be limited to offside when a goal is scored. It's either onside or offside. Straightforward enough,

With penalty calls I imagine only if the decision is or outside of the box and if the player was actually fouled. Might rid the game of diving.....

I guess only the captain can ask for a review as in other sports.

I can't imagine every dodgy decision being reviewed that doesn't involve a goal being looked at. We'd be there all day......:facepalm:

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Could they not develop something for offside with hawk eye like they have done for goal line decisions? 

I am a big fan of the NFL where video refeering happens in all games and it works IN THAT SPORT. Im not so sure it will work with football. Its all about where you draw the line.....say there is a penalty call and its not given, the defensive teams in now on the break and the game is stopped to check. 

Another unfair circumstance stance is where a lino flags for offside when a player is clean through and the game is stopped. You cant then check the video and carry on playing. Football is too fluid for me. 

The only way for me it works is if you have the 4th official watching replays and bringing the refs attention to something and then stop the game.

For me, the video ref might help bring an end to blatant cheating, especially if it can be used after the game to penalise the player e.g. simulation, diving etc.

I don't like the idea of reviews or challenges . Surely the idea of video Refs should be to get the decision right, he can call it back to change a mistake , no need to review. 
Offside is a difficult  one too, you would need a camera bang in line with the last defender ALL the time, not easy.

Goal line could surely be extended to cover the dead ball line to stop things like the non Man City goal. 

Even diving when replayed can lead to arguments , although if it cuts just some diving out it's a good thing.

46 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

I am a big fan of the NFL where video refeering happens in all games and it works IN THAT SPORT. Im not so sure it will work with football. Its all about where you draw the line.....say there is a penalty call and its not given, the defensive teams in now on the break and the game is stopped to check. 

Another unfair circumstance stance is where a lino flags for offside when a player is clean through and the game is stopped. You cant then check the video and carry on playing. Football is too fluid for me. 

The only way for me it works is if you have the 4th official watching replays and bringing the refs attention to something and then stop the game.

you'd have to wait til a break in play - but in that time another incident could happen say a bad tackle or a red card incident. That wouldnt happen if the original decision is given so how would you deal with that? Just so many variences to see it working well without loads of stops.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I don't like the idea of reviews or challenges . Surely the idea of video Refs should be to get the decision right, he can call it back to change a mistake , no need to review. 
Offside is a difficult  one too, you would need a camera bang in line with the last defender ALL the time, not easy.

Goal line could surely be extended to cover the dead ball line to stop things like the non Man City goal. 

Even diving when replayed can lead to arguments , although if it cuts just some diving out it's a good thing.

My issue with going back and reviewing dives is its almost impossible to tell from a video who much contact it would take to put you off stride. if you are running full speed the slightest touch would be enough to trip you, but some argue "it isnt enough contact" or "hes barely touched him".

The Man City game at the weekend, definitely should have been a pen but the pundits were saying he tripped over his own feet - but that was caused by the inital contact from the defender.

You could sit and watch a potential penalty decision 100 times and still not get a conclusive answer.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I would imagine the video reviews will be limited to offside when a goal is scored. It's either onside or offside. Straightforward enough,

With penalty calls I imagine only if the decision is or outside of the box and if the player was actually fouled. Might rid the game of diving.....

I can't imagine every dodgy decision being reviewed that doesn't involve a goal being looked at. We'd be there all day......:facepalm:

Think A Captain should be able to ask for a review twice per game and lose the review of it is proved incorrect as in Cricket. 

The ref should be free to check his decision at any time as happens in Rugby. 

It won't be perfect but something needs to happen.

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

My issue with going back and reviewing dives is its almost impossible to tell from a video who much contact it would take to put you off stride. if you are running full speed the slightest touch would be enough to trip you, but some argue "it isnt enough contact" or "hes barely touched him".

The Man City game at the weekend, definitely should have been a pen but the pundits were saying he tripped over his own feet - but that was caused by the inital contact from the defender.

You could sit and watch a potential penalty decision 100 times and still not get a conclusive answer.

Kind of my point, trips/dives are difficult. In or out is cut and dried, goal line tech could have been used for Man C's disallowed goal.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Could they not develop something for offside with hawk eye like they have done for goal line decisions? 

Would be ideal but do you lose the linesman then? Even though they rarely flag for anything other than offsides and throw ins. 

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Taking all day is my biggest fear. Watching match of the day, how many goals are borderline or just plain offside? It's part of the game for me. 

3 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

Think A Captain should be able to ask for a review twice per game and lose the review of it is proved incorrect as in Cricket. 

The ref should be free to check his decision at any time as happens in Rugby. 

It won't be perfect but something needs to happen.

Captain or manager should be able to ask for review and spot on they should only get a couple per game. 

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Only if you wanted it to.

Many a time I've sprinted for af bus and someones made contact with me, not once have I ended up sprawled on the ground

Video refereeing, if used well, would be great. 

Idiotic pundits who say it will slow the game down never refer to the game being slowed down by endless diving, feigning of injury or the arguing with the ref that takes place after almost every free kick he awards. 

Get on with it. 

On 27/04/2017 at 08:07, Robbored said:

I think penalty decisions wouldn't take too long, it takes less than 30 seconds to see it at home and they'd not be waiting for Sky sports or whoever is broadcasting to show it back, they'd have the tech there. I know a lot can happen in 30 seconds but I think they'd be able to make the correct decision in 10-15 seconds of the incident which is a lot better than getting it wrong and the whole game being affected. 
People seem so afraid to see changes to the game, but depending on your age it's already happened plenty of times, I remember watching two footbed challenges from behind resulting in a yellow card, now it's a game changer or even a few game changer depending on how long they get banned after.

Football is a totally different game to when I was a kid and I imagine the game I watched as a kid is completely different to the game my father watched, it's progression and having video refs to help make the game more just works for me. The one thing they need to change is simulation, diving should be punished worse than a bad challenge, at least with a bad challenge the player can say they were trying to get the ball, diving is purposely cheating to change the game to their advantage, there is no excuse for it at all.

On Thu Apr 27 2017 at 15:12, JoeAman08 said:

Would be ideal but do you lose the linesman then? Even though they rarely flag for anything other than offsides and throw ins. 

Taking all day is my biggest fear. Watching match of the day, how many goals are borderline or just plain offside? It's part of the game for me. 

Captain or manager should be able to ask for review and spot on they should only get a couple per game. 

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Colin had used both of his before the goal that wasn't?

2 hours ago, 22A said:

If a decision goes against the home nation, will the video footage unaccountably go missing?

We`ll find out in Russia I guess. There will inexplicably be a twenty minute delay (technical problems) in reviewing the evidence before the decision is made in Russia`s favour.

Archived