IGNORED

How to look after footbal pitches Bristol City council style

Trueredsupporter

Every time I walk across Ashton Park to the game I think it's really sad how those pitches have been let go. It used to be quite entertaining to stop and watch a game for 10 minutes or so on the way in. Perhaps there is just not the call for it anymore.

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Every time I walk across Ashton Park to the game I think it's really sad how those pitches have been let go. It used to be quite entertaining to stop and watch a game for 10 minutes or so on the way in. Perhaps there is just not the call for it anymore.

Plenty of demand for pitches all over Bristol that teams can play on, and are maintained. Ashton boys have two teams at some kids levels. They do not play many games in the Park anymore. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Plenty of demand for pitches all over Bristol that teams can play on, and are maintained. Ashton boys have two teams at some kids levels. They do not play many games in the Park anymore. 

They always played in the park when we played them (among other places) 

Where do they play now?

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

in whose world do people cut the grass around the front and BACK of the goals and then leave the rest of the pitch unplayable?

Council work note:

"In order to save resouces, please do not cut back the entire field. Cutting the grass between the goalposts will be sufficient".

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Where do they play now?

When my son's under 9s team played against them a few months ago it was on a pitch at the cricket club.

Used to enjoy seeing the games in Ashton Park on match days.  Sometimes they provided more entertainment than what was on offer in AG.

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Where do they play now?

As another pointed out the cricket club, along with other venues including teams training in the two sports centres in Whitchurch. Hardly surprising considering the state of Park pitches.

Just in case anyone was after a serious or real answer here goes

It's due to the fact that the larger field tractor type grass cutters cannot get close to/between the posts. Therefore a smaller sit on mower will do the above and the rest of the field be fully mown the same or next working day.

Not as funny but true :cool:

9 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

That's the park round the corner from the Langton pub in Briz. Changing rooms have been shut, pitch left in a mess. Its also one of the parks the council wanted to sell off.

Yeah, that's the one. Pitches haven't been marked all season I think.  No idea why they would've bothered to cut the grass like that

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

That's the park round the corner from the Langton pub in Briz. Changing rooms have been shut, pitch left in a mess. Its also one of the parks the council wanted to sell off.

If the council cant put yellow lines, a bus lane on it or dig it up they aint interested

I manage one of the sides who play in Greville Smyth and it's a nightmare.  We played away on Monday and played some really nice football on a pitch with short grass. For a year 8 side of limited ability it was excellent. Had a training match in the park last night and they couldn't play at all.   As a manager you tell them to play the conditions but they are 13.. They have a right to develop as players but they can't playing on a cowfield.

We can't cut the grass ourselves due to public liability insurance....

18 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Mainly because of the state of the pitches...

Archived