IGNORED

How to look after footbal pitches Bristol City council style

Trueredsupporter

16 hours ago, Three Lions said:

That's the park round the corner from the Langton pub in Briz. Changing rooms have been shut, pitch left in a mess. Its also one of the parks the council wanted to sell off.

Vadalism played its part!!!.Used to be a good park all round and some of the park is ok especially where the kids play!!

Title: Mayor's Hot Coffee, Hot Topic – Sport and our city

Dear colleagues,

The Mayor’s Hot Coffee, Hot Topic sessions are an opportunity to discuss major topics which are important to Bristol and its citizens.

In May, we will be discussing sport and its place in the city.
Book your ticket now to hear about national and local strategies for sport, and how we are working to build innovative new partnerships that will make sport easy to access and participate in across the city.

You don’t need to consider yourself sporty, or work in an area with links to sport to attend; the Mayor wants a range of people from across the council to come along and join him in the discussion.

The event takes place from 8.00am – 9.30 am on 5 May in the City Hall Cash Hall. Places are extremely limited, so
don’t delay in signing up.

If you have any questions please contact: yourvoice@bristol.gov.uk

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

Mainly because of the state of the pitches...

Yes, and those with links to Ashton Boys will confirm sides are then also paying for costly training indoors throughout the winter as the Council constantly says pitches are unfit to use. The council should look at clubs like Ashton and others as an asset, they provide opportunities to play football for kids from 6 - 16 too many schools do not.

On 27/04/2017 at 14:43, Port Said Red said:

Every time I walk across Ashton Park to the game I think it's really sad how those pitches have been let go. It used to be quite entertaining to stop and watch a game for 10 minutes or so on the way in. Perhaps there is just not the call for it anymore.

Greville Smyth park

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I know the official name, I grew up in Lime Road in the 60's and 70's and everyone in the area referred to it as "the park" or "Ashton Park".

My grandparents lived in lime road then. They were both city fans.My grandads last ever game he attended was against Leeds on Dec 4th 1976 he died six days later 

22 hours ago, Taz said:

And people wonder why England as a team are so poor. Start at grassroots level - literally!! How can you expect kids to play football if the pitches are left like that. 

On the contrary, this is a trial program being run by an FA think tank. Where do the most skilful footballers come from? Answer, Brazil. What do they grow up playing on? Soft, sandy beaches where you can't play the ball on the deck. So, as we haven't got access to beaches like theirs, the plan was to substitute them for unmown, bumpy playing fields, thereby providing an equivalent playing surface so our kids will grow up playing like Brazilians! 

It's genius in its simplicity!

Don't we have a few million people on 'community service' sentences.... ?

Why the **** aren't they trained up and insured to repair the millions of pot holes all over our roads,  mow parks/pitches repair/paint benches etc etc... its not nicking union jobs if the councils have already virtually scrapped 'em..

....plenty of people like The Bard in this thread involved with amateur teams willing to cut grass and maintain pitches but can't due to insurance issues, come on Bristol City Council it wouldn't be rocket science to help arrange stuff like this with designated reps of such teams, give 'em a days H&S issue a certificate or something and stick the volunteers on your public liability.  It wouldn't be rocket science like I said but bet its 'impossible' in our 'no can do'  (not bothered) society.

On 27/04/2017 at 17:49, harrys said:

They always played in the park when we played them (among other places) 

Where do they play now?

When my sons U13's were meant to play them earlier this year it was scheduled to be played at Bristol Cathedral School on Beggers Bush Lane. It got swapped though to the park a couple days before as the school was unplayable. 

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:31, RaspberryRed said:

Just in case anyone was after a serious or real answer here goes

It's due to the fact that the larger field tractor type grass cutters cannot get close to/between the posts. Therefore a smaller sit on mower will do the above and the rest of the field be fully mown the same or next working day.

Not as funny but true :cool:

the same or next working day? like a crap panto oh no they have not. its still the same.

Archived