IGNORED

Dave Cotterill - Last Game

tinman85

Just now, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Appreciation for what?

He looked just what we needed when he first came in, physically strong, provided good defensive cover and great crosses. Had one poor game, reputedly a difference of opinion with LJ and that was that - frozen out like several before him. Can't see us signing him, but fancy could still do a decent job in the championship somewhere.

Just now, old_eastender said:

He looked just what we needed when he first came in, physically strong, provided good defensive cover and great crosses. Had one poor game, reputedly a difference of opinion with LJ and that was that - frozen out like several before him. Can't see us signing him, but fancy could still do a decent job in the championship somewhere.

I'll never be LJ's biggest fan but think this is harsh.

Cotterill's performances have clearly diminished as his loan spell has gone on and he rightly lost his place.

Not someone we should look to sign this summer. 

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Did he? 

Just now, GrahamC said:

I'll never be LJ's biggest fan but think this is harsh.

Cotterill's performances have clearly diminished as his loan spell has gone on and he rightly lost his place.

Not someone we should look to sign this summer. 

Broadly agree with this.

He was exactly the right player at the right time when he came in. He replaced Freeman in terms of quality delivery and provided experience at a difficult time for the young players in the squad. Once morale and form picked up a bit he seemed to fade but Paterson came back really strongly. Without Cotterill I don't think things would have turned around to allow the young players to shine again.

I would, however, consider signing him in the summer if he's available on a 1 or 2 year contract at a suitable wage. If a better player is available then great, but it's important not to underestimate the value of experienced Championship campaigners when things get a bit sticky.

12 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Broadly agree with this.

He was exactly the right player at the right time when he came in. He replaced Freeman in terms of quality delivery and provided experience at a difficult time for the young players in the squad. Once morale and form picked up a bit he seemed to fade but Paterson came back really strongly. Without Cotterill I don't think things would have turned around to allow the young players to shine again.

I would, however, consider signing him in the summer if he's available on a 1 or 2 year contract at a suitable wage. If a better player is available then great, but it's important not to underestimate the value of experienced Championship campaigners when things get a bit sticky.

Agree with you and Graham here.

However, don't think we can show sentimentality in terms of this summer's signings, but for 4 or 5 games he was the new Wade...that bit of experience and quality....when we needed him. 

15 minutes ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Ah okay, hopefully Engvall can fly back from Sweden to be at Ashton Gate for the final day as well then.

I appreciate you're being pedantic/funny here, but Cotterill had a playing role that helped us achieve enough points to be (almost) safe in the championship.

53 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

No idea if that is true but the simple fact is that, since he was dislodged from the team, LJ has found a formation that actually wins us matches. For that reason I find it hard to find fault with the fact he hasn't been picked...

He drives around in a Bentley, I think he is priced out of our range. 

I really thought he was the answer when he arrived but his performances dropped off, possibly through injury as LJ mentions. We can get better value elsewhere I think. 

I think it speaks volumes that he played in both of the appallingly lacklustre performances at Brentford and Preston, was then dropped, and consequently we went on to win 4 games and beat the drop.

There's absolutely zero chance of him being here next season. Let's be honest, he didn't really want to be here in the first place after Brum made him available so late in the window. 

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

Appreciation of what ?

AS already mentioned:

1 hour ago, Buckeyed said:

2 goals and 2 assists? Being part of teams that got us 14 points in the games he played? I think it right we can give him a round of applause at the end of the game.

55 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

I appreciate you're being pedantic/funny here, but Cotterill had a playing role that helped us achieve enough points to be (almost) safe in the championship.

Archived