IGNORED

Steve and John lansdown

Red Army 75

7 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

To us yes .to him no don't get me wrong I like the guy but we have got to make a choice do we want to play with the big boys or just be happy EVERY YEAR to be above the gas .when Tammy gone back we are back to a squad of very average players

In the age of financial fair play, what are you proposing exactly?

When SL made the "It's my club, I've paid in more money than you, I'll do what I like" comments (ok I've paraphrased here but the gist is the same), whilst being factually correct, it didn't sit well with a lot of people, including me. 

It just boasted of being superior and arrogance and a holier than thou attitude. I think he realised his comments were a little strong so I wouldn't expect to hear him make any similar comment again. 

I got over it. He's right. He has put more cash in than me, it's his club and he can make whatever decisions or changes if he wishes. Just tone down the attitude. 

FWIW, JL is less like this. I think probably because he still acts like a fan rather than a businessman and would rather sit in the concourse necking cider with us lot than up in the Director's Box, rubbing shoulders with the creme de la creme and quaffing champers, if he had the option.

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Well lets at least wait to see what happens in the summer before being judge, jury and executioner on what the club does.

I disagree though, I thought the figure he has invested was around £150 million+ maybe even beyond. Even if he recoups this, thats still a sizeable chunk in my view even for Lansdown.

8per cent of his wealth .Unless you know something I don't ,we will sign 2 has beens ,2bench warmers and about 4 loans and still need a rightback

5 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

.when Tammy gone back we are back to a squad of very average players

Finding another gem like Tammy will be down to LJ and MA and no doubt at all that wheels will be in motion already.

Kodjia was found in European football and I daresay that's where the next striker will come from. Either that or another PL loanee.

18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Tired and lazy criticism. It seems to be almost assumed that a "proper manager" would have done better, whatever that actually means. There are no guarantees.

This forum broadly supported Steve Coppell's arrival. How did that work out?

This forum broadly supported Derek McInnes appointment. How did that work out?

This forum broadly supported SOD's appointment. How did that work out?

Virtually no one on the forum wanted Steve Cotterill here. How did that work out?

It is very hard to predict how a managerial appointment will work out. Past success is no guarantee of future success and past failure doesn't mean a manager cannot go on to do well. There is always an element of unknown and there are never any guarantees. A shame more people aren't willing to recognise this.

That's not true.

There were about 10 prominent and prolific posters at the time SC was appointed who disliked him personally and savaged his appointment.

Many others, like me, were impressed by his first interview, immediately liked the cut of his jib, and were willing to at least give him the benefit of the doubt and support him to see how things went.

Don't forget Cotterill, crucially, was KD's choice, not SL's.

Just now, Septic Peg said:

When SL made the "It's my club, I've paid in more money than you, I'll do what I like" comments (ok I've paraphrased here but the gist is the same), whilst being factually correct, it didn't sit well with a lot of people, including me. 

It just boasted of being superior and arrogance and a holier than thou attitude. I think he realised his comments were a little strong so I wouldn't expect to hear him make any similar comment again. 

I got over it. He's right. He has put more cash in than me, it's his club and he can make whatever decisions or changes if he wishes. Just tone down the attitude. 

FWIW, JL is less like this. I think probably because he still acts like a fan rather than a businessman and would rather sit in the concourse necking cider with us lot than up in the Director's Box, running shoulders with the creme de la creme and quaffing champers, if he had the option.

Or maybe its that Jon doesent have an original thought to share.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

In the age of financial fair play, what are you proposing exactly?

Wait and see what happens to Newcastle first and if it's only a fine,then go to town on top players we have heard of just like he's doing with his new love bristol rugby

I appreciate everything that SL has done and is trying to do to take this club and sport in general in this great city forward but to say say he didn't insult the fans in his last RB interview is laughable. When pressed by GT on fans opinions and input into the team they support with their hard earned income SL response was one of complete contempt. To reply in the way he did was insulting to the whole fan base. Now I am prepared to accept that he was rattled by GT's line of questioning which was for once (for RB) asking the right questions in the right manner and I hope that SL regretted his answer as soon as it came out of his mouth but I lost a bit of respect for him then and many I know were far more angry that. 

I expect to hear some back tracking today and an attempt to reach out to a fan base that he knows he insulted. 

21 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

FWIW, JL is less like this. I think probably because he still acts like a fan rather than a businessman and would rather sit in the concourse necking cider with us lot than up in the Director's Box, rubbing shoulders with the creme de la creme and quaffing champers, if he had the option.

The manner in which SL said what was almost the complete opposite to how you have presented it, with a very different gist

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

The manner in which SL said that was almost the complete opposite to how you have presented it.

And it's good that we can all interpret things differently. Some people will say it was rude, others firm but fair.

Different strokes for different folks.

46 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Down to individual interpretation, I didn't feel belittled in the slightest

You'll have to make allowances for the professionally offended.

It's like watching players rolling around on the pitch after a little knock, you look on and just have to wonder WTF.

16 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

I appreciate everything that SL has done and is trying to do to take this club and sport in general in this great city forward but to say say he didn't insult the fans in his last RB interview is laughable. When pressed by GT on fans opinions and input into the team they support with their hard earned income SL response was one of complete contempt. To reply in the way he did was insulting to the whole fan base. Now I am prepared to accept that he was rattled by GT's line of questioning which was for once (for RB) asking the right questions in the right manner and I hope that SL regretted his answer as soon as it came out of his mouth but I lost a bit of respect for him then and many I know were far more angry that. 

I expect to hear some back tracking today and an attempt to reach out to a fan base that he knows he insulted. 

Nail on head Sir

27 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Well put Peg. Whilst I'm not going to lose any sleep over his comments, to say that they were not at least 'ill-advised' and came across as being defensive on his part would be wrong. But we're all prone to mistakes and I'm sure SL sees it as one.  Onwards! 

32 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

His 'attitude' is probably down to the level of abuse he has received and some telling him to sell the club... He's come out and said this in a news interview.

I don't blame him for that

22 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

If he did present himself in that way maybe it was a reaction to the ridiculous amount of criticism and ungratefulness shown by some of the fans. You know the ones, they are the ones who think that if they had his money, they would also have the magic bullet that identifies exactly the right people and decisions required to become the new Bayern Munich or a similar club. 

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

His 'attitude' is probably down to the level of abuse he has received and some telling him to sell the club... He's come out and said this in a news interview.

I don't blame him for that

No I don't either. It is human nature to become annoyed/frustrated and to answer back when you are criticised.

However, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be unprofessional. And whilst some of the criticism he received was not constructive (I feel this was why he responded the way he did), some was constructive and should have been answered fairly without indignation.

Just now, JustinCider said:

Taking everything into consideration, I have greater concerns about what might happen when SL's gone rather than what might happen whilst he's here.

It's common knowledge that JL will inherit the club when SL retires officially.

Can see the Lansdown family being involved for many years to come. And that's a great thing.

Just now, Septic Peg said:

It's common knowledge that JL will inherit the club when SL retires officially.

Can see the Lansdown family being involved for many years to come. And that's a great thing.

I know Peg, and agree with your sentiment. However, and I don't wish to be disrespectful to JL as I know nothing about him, but does he have his father's smarts? We're talking about a person who has ended up in the top 1000 richest people in the world through his own endeavours.

Fair play to SL (whether by luck or judgement) ... when all was doom and gloom, disgruntled fans everywhere, and most were convinced or almost resigned to league one football next season.. Steve put his head above the parapet and publicly declared he wouldn't allow us to go down... and hey despite mass incredulity and mocking at the time...

SL has been as good as his word.

Just now, WhistleHappy said:

Fair play to SL (whether by luck or judgement) ... when all was doom and gloom, disgruntled fans everywhere, and most were convinced or almost resigned to league one football next season.. Steve put his head above the parapet and publicly declared he wouldn't allow us to go down... and hey despite mass incredulity and mocking at the time...

SL has been as good as his word.

I'm hoping to come back and like this after 5pm today but not before! ;-)

2 hours ago, Tiree said:

Dont think SL has ever insulted the fans. You must be very over-sensitive and totally unwilling to accept his business success and generosity towards Bristol City FC. If Bristol Sport is part of 'taking over' then so be it; you will read today that Daniel Levy at Spurs is following SL's example at the new WHL - big, fancy  new stadium with up to 16 other non-football events there p.a

COYRs

Much as we like to deify SL on here for the money he made while working with Peter Hargreaves, I think it is pushing it a bit to pretend that he invented the idea of groundshares. 

Only when Mr Levy gets the Spurs fans up in arms over an unnecessary rebranding cluster **** will we be able to claim that he was copying City's owner.

Archived