IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

DT The Optimist

25 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

He is hugely insecure, painfully so. Just as water will find level ground, so will Lee Tomlin find something, anything, to upset himself, and so mess things up and not realise his potential. 

Johnson thought he could "manage" Tomlin, and almost wrecked this season with his hubris. Huge mis-judgment, close shave, big lesson learned, got to be stronger for this though (both LJ and so us). 

Absolutely spot on.

Didn't realise we had so many psychiatrists,sports psychologists , behaviour analysts and ex pros on the forum. Pity all the opinions about LT weren't mentioned last season when he was one of the best I've seen at AG. He's not been great at times this year but players that are being praised now we're also being slated and deemed not good enough when we were on the horror run. How things change.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He'd be a hero in China, Turkey or The States.

Amazing The turn around since this time last year when people were willing to sacrifice their eldest sons just to get him signed .

Completely true major. Now I'd accept Lee Tomlin staying if it meant I could sacrifice my eldest son.

11 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Didn't realise we had so many psychiatrists,sports psychologists , behaviour analysts and ex pros on the forum. Pity all the opinions about LT weren't mentioned last season when he was one of the best I've seen at AG. He's not been great at times this year but players that are being praised now we're also being slated and deemed not good enough when we were on the horror run. How things change.

Funny isn't it. Many on here a few weeks/months back would've had you believe that Aden Flint is a massive liability and the reason for us losing games. Despite being far and away our best defender throughout the entire campaign...

I have to agree. When he is switched on, he's a force to be reckoned with and makes other teams quiver with his skill.

Only issue really is how he fits. A standard 4-4-2 doesn't fit him. So unless LJ starts to train him as an out and out striker, playing 2 up top, I think he will be on loan elsewhere next season.

Just now, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Funny isn't it. Many on here a few weeks/months back would've had you believe that Aden Flint is a massive liability and the reason for us losing games. Despite being far and away our best defender throughout the entire campaign...

The amount of flip flopping and u turns on here would embarrass Teresa May. 

No one person is bigger than "the team". LT will probably be gone this summer, but not sure who will have him? A great player on his day but a manager's nightmare to manage for LJ. His discipline on the pitch also comes under question in my book. I have seen him booked several times for needless backchat etc.

He might find another Champ team to take him. Mick Mcartney at Ipswich could probably sort him out but what a gamble for any manager. The City team spirit is visible for all to see since he was dropped, no arguement there.

And I love seeing that. "All in it together lads". Feeling positive about next season, dependent on the Tammy/Flinty factor.

I just got the feeling he was trying to make it the LT show at times.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

On his day there is no doubting Tomlins a class act. He needs the right manager to play him to his strengths. Simply we do not have that manager

Nor do Bournemouth either presumably? Must be Eddie Howe's fault. God forbid a player should take responsibility for their own performance.

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nor do Bournemouth either presumably? Must be Eddie Howe's fault. God forbid a player should take responsibility for their own performance.

And god forbib a manager that keeps playing people out of position. That goes for the whole team

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Where  would you play him Tone and in what formation ?

IMO we play him far too deep in a formation with only one up front (even at home). I would play 2 up front with Tomlin being one of them.

8 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tomlin isn't an athlete, and until he sorts out that aspect of his game along with his attitude, he is quite frankly a waste of space. If he wants to do fancy tricks and not apply himself then he might as well join the circus.

Is that not being unfair on the seals ?

Just now, BigTone said:

IMO we play him far too deep in a formation with only one up front (even at home). I would play 2 up front with Tomlin being one of them.

Problem with that Tone is he wants to be centre stage / run the game and spends half his time retreating to pick the ball up off centre halves leaving the lone striker isolated

If he would accept doing his own job really well , but in , and  as part of , a team he would be a much better player IMHO

I hate to be negative on a weekend where we put in a performance we should be thoroughly proud of, but let's be honest the Tomlin signing has been a disaster.

I won't pretend that I wasn't just as enthusiastic as everyone else about him this time last year and wasn't delighted when we signed him, but you look at it now and wonder how much better our season could have been without the Tomlin issue constantly lingering.

You look at the complaints and faults with our performances earlier in the season and you could say that Tomlin is either directly or indirectly responsible for alot of them. All the issues that now look better with him out of the team.

Slow ponderous play, Tammy being completely isolated, a unbalanced midfield. Seemingly none of them an issue without Tomlin in the team.

I would also be pretty confident that the constant tinkering with personnel and formation earlier in the season was largely down to Tomlin. How do we try and get the best out of him, how do we make up for his limitations. The complete Tombola that's been the midfield, I am sure was largely down to trying to find the right balance due to Tomlin. Take him out of the picture and suddenly it's clear, Pack and Smith. The midfield we've had for 3 years... (admittedly we've only recently had a properly fit Korey). Look how much more consistent Patterson has become, again i think he has more of a licence because we're not worrying about Tomlin.

Anybody with eyes can see he is miles more talented than Taylor, he can do things with a ball that Taylor can only dream of, and yet... Taylor has played an impressive part in this run of form. He presses the opposition defenders, he's lively, he tries to move the ball quickly and he and gives Tammy some support. All this without mentioning the quite incredible run of 'assists' he has been on.

People may disagree, but I hope we are able to move Tomlin on in the summer. Part of me thinks it should be doable as his talent speaks for itself and the egos of managers mean that there will be at least one who thinks 'I can change him'. I do worry though as we all know why he was signing for us rather than a 'bigger' team at this level and let's be honest his quite dreadful season for us won't have done his reputation any good.

Tomlin is undoubtedly a very talented player, but we can't seem to fit him into a line-up which works well enough for us. We have seen this season that he is not so good it is worth playing him, if it means we end up with a formation which doesn't work for us.

He would be a good squad player, as if we need to change our formation during a game, and have someone who could come on create something with a moment of flare, it's him.

Problems with that are

1. he's a confidence player. Sitting on the bench week in week out won't give him the confidence to perform at the top of his game

2. He's too expensive to warm the bench

3. He's good enough to want and expect first team football every week, so will want to go elsewhere to get it

He is good enough that I would be concerned who we sell him to, as another championship club with a suitable formation for him, could cause us problems next year!

If we do sell him, I think we should make it clear that he could go to another Bristol based league club for a nominal £1 fee. Shame there is a gentleman's agreement meaning they wouldn't be able to take up the offer :whistle:

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Where  would you play him Tone and in what formation ?

It's a dilemma. He's not an orthodox player so you have to give him freedom to roam not tie him to a fixed position but in the modern game he needs to do his bit when the opposition have the ball both in terms of putting in a shift and making sure the team keeps its shape. That is definitely not his strength so we look stronger with less gifted players doing the job.

Just now, chinapig said:

It's a dilemma. He's not an orthodox player so you have to give him freedom to roam not tie him to a fixed position but in the modern game he needs to do his bit when the opposition have the ball both in terms of putting in a shift and making sure the team keeps its shape. That is definitely not his strength so we look stronger with less gifted players doing the job.

Gives up possssion a lot too

Needs to mix his game up and play the simple ball / do the simple thing sometimes IMHO

Save the tricks for those game changing moments not every time he gets the ball

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Football is a team game and sadly Tomlin does not fit into this team.

Get rid, God luck to him, move on 

At the moment, perhaps. But LJ has form on tinkering. It is perfectly feasible that next season, if after a few games 4-4-2 has not been successful, he may revert to another formation (perhaps 3-5-2, for example). If that is so, given injury, we would then be kicking ourselves for dispensing with our natural 'hole' player. 

The three best midfielders at the Gate this season have beeen Carney of Fulham, Mooy of Huddersfield and Bannan of Sheffield Wednesday. On his day, Tomlin is as good as each of them.

Keep him and get the best out of him when form/circumstance/tactics dictate.

3 minutes ago, Orbital said:

At the moment, perhaps. But LJ has form on tinkering. It is perfectly feasible that next season, if after a few games 4-4-2 has not been successful, he may revert to another formation (perhaps 3-5-2, for example). If that is so, given injury, we would then be kicking ourselves for dispensing with our natural 'hole' player. 

The three best midfielders at the Gate this season have beeen Carney of Fulham, Mooy of Huddersfield and Bannan of Sheffield Wednesday. On his day, Tomlin is as good as each of them.

Think you have to judge his affect (On the Squad) Neutral ? / Positive ? / Negative ? when not involved too

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

One thing he has in his locker is the ability to create time for himself on the ball. His awareness of where opponents are is excellent. 

As witnessed last night, most of the team need too much time with the ball and are at risk of losing it almost every time they have it at their feet. 

Yet as Bob points out in this thread he tends to give the ball away himself.

9 minutes ago, Orbital said:

Some of that 'tinkering' was down to LJ trying to find a shape to accommodate Tomlin. Personally I think he persisted for too long but then again plenty of fans were furious if he was left out so a bit of a no win.

Archived