IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

DT The Optimist

I noticed after Barnsley game he did not venture on pitch with other subs and join in with general back slapping.  I commented on this at the time to people I go with.  

Not at game tonight  (BHA) and stand to be corrected, only watching in on screen, and at final whistle saw Wibraham,  Maggers , and others on pitch with squad.  Back slapping general encouragement. Did not see LT. 

Sometimes what you don't do tells a story. Any thoughts.  

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

It's all about him. Sad but true. look at the difference between him and someone like Magners (who too must be a bit disappointed)

Tommo is no team player..  looks like he might be off

Or the sheer delight of TA whenever we score or get a result 

You sum it up - it's all about him I'm afraid

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

I noticed after Barnsley game he did not venture on pitch with other subs and join in with general back slapping.  I commented on this at the time to people I go with.  

Not at game tonight  (BHA) and stand to be corrected, only watching in on screen, and at final whistle saw Wibraham,  Maggers , and others on pitch with squad.  Back slapping general encouragement. Did not see LT. 

Sometimes what you don't do tells a story. Any thoughts.  

He was there, he was on the bench

Massive part of us staying up last season. Lovely player to watch and a talent . Unfortunately it hasn't worked this season but I wouldn't necessarily say it's the end for him at Ashton Gate though I fear it is . Big fee , massive wages . Enigma 

Shame but the team is far better without him in it at the moment.

It could well be difficult to shift him though due to wages and "alleged" attitude issues. Hopefully he knuckles down during the Summer and forces his way back into the team, certainly an entertaining player to watch when things are going well.

1 minute ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Shame but the team is far better without him in it at the moment.

It could well be difficult to shift him though due to wages and "alleged" attitude issues. Hopefully he knuckles down during the Summer and forces his way back into the team, certainly an entertaining player to watch when things are going well.

He'd be a hero in China, Turkey or The States.

Amazing The turn around since this time last year when people were willing to sacrifice their eldest sons just to get him signed .

Just now, BigTone said:

On his day there is no doubting Tomlins a class act. He needs the right manager to play him to his strengths. Simply we do not have that manager

he's had many a manager and always done the same, when he want's to play he's great when he doesn't it's like playing with 10 men, we can't afford to carry him and the performances without him say alot, he'd be top of my list to get rid of

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

It's all about him. Sad but true. look at the difference between him and someone like Magners (who too must be a bit disappointed)

Tommo is no team player..  looks like he might be off

Has been a massive disappointment. The problem is you have to choose a formation to fit him in. Too much of a luxury and we have other areas to strengthen in the summer. I am still convinced he missed that pen on purpose v Burton  

Just now, tinman85 said:

Has been a massive disappointment. The problem is you have to choose a formation to fit him in. Too much of a luxury and we have other areas to strengthen in the summer. I am still convinced he missed that pen on purpose v Burton  

mnn,   seems a bit unlikely but could never be sure. Only thing is, i seem to remember he went chasing around for the rest of the game trying to make up for the miss. That doesn't seem to add up at all

One thing he has in his locker is the ability to create time for himself on the ball. His awareness of where opponents are is excellent. 

As witnessed last night, most of the team need too much time with the ball and are at risk of losing it almost every time they have it at their feet. 

I love watching Tomlin play. Some of the things he does are awe inspiring. Earlier in the season, I was always disappointed if I turned up at AG and heard he was not in the starting 11. Less so, the last few games of course. 

I hope we see the best of him next season. However he will need to up his work rate to fit into the 442 system we are now playing. I think he would need to be in the front 2 rather than on the wing. Paterson's and Brownhill's defensive work on the wings has been one of the reasons for our improvement. Tomlin cannot defend like that in my view.

As I say, I hope he comes back firing next season. We will need goals (without Tammy presumably). However, because of the recent good run without him, I fear he will end up on a long loan somewhere else.

Just now, eardun said:

I love watching Tomlin play. Some of the things he does are awe inspiring. Earlier in the season, I was always disappointed if I turned up at AG and heard he was not in the starting 11. Less so, the last few games of course. 

I hope we see the best of him next season. However he will need to up his work rate to fit into the 442 system we are now playing. I think he would need to be in the front 2 rather than on the wing. Paterson's and Brownhill's defensive work on the wings has been one of the reasons for our improvement. Tomlin cannot defend like that in my view.

As I say, I hope he comes back firing next season. We will need goals (without Tammy presumably). However, because of the recent good run without him, I fear he will end up on a long loan somewhere else.

The energy of the front 2 is part of our game plan, they are always annoying the defenders and putting them under pressure. I don't see Tomlin fitting in at all if we continue with the current system unfortunately.

Just now, eardun said:

Tomlin  in the front 2?

I'm not sure that plays to his strengths. He's a playmaker looking for outlets to players in front of him. 

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Football is a team game and sad,The does not fit into this team.

Get rid, God luck to him, move on 

I agree, LJ clearly wants to play a certain way and we are starting to see that now and I don't see where LT fits into that.

i do wonder whether Tomlin was an LJ signing, it took a long time to get sorted and Tomlin himself was on social media making noises about delays. Perhaps there was hold up from the club on whether he was the right person to sign.

37 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

mnn,   seems a bit unlikely but could never be sure. Only thing is, i seem to remember he went chasing around for the rest of the game trying to make up for the miss. That doesn't seem to add up at all

perhaps he'd realised what a knob he'd been… who knows?

Did anyone at the game last night see if he did come on the pitch at the end ( with the other subs) and share the moment with the team ? :ph34r: Missed on camera?

who cares perhaps , but he was last selected at PNE and been on bench since. The results since with a settled team speak for themselves. 

He was our huge bench mark signing of last summer and to date his form has been incomparable to the Tomlin who came to us on loan.  Nothing would please me more than having our Tomlin back ? 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

On his day there is no doubting Tomlins a class act. He needs the right manager to play him to his strengths. Simply we do not have that manager

Sorry, have to disagree with you.  I think Tomlin is almost unmanageable.  He has to be given free rein and allowed to do his own thing, and I think few if any managers would allow that.  It's not a question of playing him to his strengths, it's a question of Tomlin growing up and accepting that football is a team game.  I think Johnson has given him every chance.

When eleven men play well for City it always seems to follow that some fans think everyone else is surplus to requirements. Most seasons you play 50 odd games, if you look at the team yesterday Little, Abraham, Smith, Pack, Bryan and Patterson have all had time out injured. We need a squad, players like Tomlin who didn't play yesterday are not necessarily out of Johnson's plans. For me he is a perfect weapon to have on the bench.

Just now, ploppy said:

Tomlin suffers from a messiah complex. The problem is that he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

He is hugely insecure, painfully so. Just as water will find level ground, so will Lee Tomlin find something, anything, to upset himself, and so mess things up and not realise his potential. 

Johnson thought he could "manage" Tomlin, and almost wrecked this season with his hubris. Huge mis-judgment, close shave, big lesson learned, got to be stronger for this though (both LJ and so us). 

When Tomlin signed he carried a reputation around that he was difficult to manage largely down to his attitude when he wasn't playing. That was a big issue at Bmuff and a part of the reason for his departure.

i imagine that when Tomlin is unhappy then he becomes a disruptive influence. No manager wants that in his squad.

i wouldn't be surprised to see him move on in the summer.

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

He is hugely insecure, painfully so. Just as water will find level ground, so will Lee Tomlin find something, anything, to upset himself, and so mess things up and not realise his potential. 

Johnson thought he could "manage" Tomlin, and almost wrecked this season with his hubris. Huge mis-judgment, close shave, big lesson learned, got to be stronger for this though (both LJ and so us). 

Agreed, and big respect to LJ for taking him out of the team for the benefit of the overall season. Can't have been an easy call to effectively exile your top earner and big ego so fair play to him for that one. I recall he played Tomlin as a second striker at Leeds away and I thought he was being shoehorned in the team. We lost and it proved to be correct. We have a much better balance in the side without him and he allows us to play a proper 442 without being too exposed which I think is the main factor in our turnaround.

Archived