IGNORED

Summer Recruitment - What we need

tinman85

In my view we need to focus on experienced proven heads in the summer to strengthen key positions 

A commanding experienced keeper (Speroni)

Quality right back (Darikwa) 

Powerhouse in midfield who can dominate (Sidwell)

A pacy winger who is vesatile in a 4 or a front 3 (Adomah)

Striker to replace Tammy (Just who?)

Right back and striker are priority for me. Rather we spent 6-7m on them then 5-6 like we did this season. Don't get me wrong, I think we have some quality young players now but high quality additions would be best imo. Though those come with just as much risk(Tomlin). 

For RB, I prefer someone with English football experience. Like my defenders knowing the league. As was used as an example, Darikwa would be one I look at or Odubajo from Hull. 

For striker, I would go abroad. Get the best value for money there with not only fees but wages. Hopefully, someone with plenty of pace. The French leagues are full of these. A few examples, and these are only examples I don't know if they qualify for work permits or what they'd cost or if they'd come but Abdul Majeed Waris from Lorient, Moussa Konate from Sion in Switzerland or Gyasi Zardes from LA Galaxy. Could even throw Cyle Larin in from Orlando in the MLS. 

Pack and Smith should be our starters next season. Brownhill is good enough to cover if he's not playing on the right side. 

A good right back to compete with Little who's actually been alright recently.

Perhaps another wide player as atm it's only Callum OD and Paterson. 

Then the big one, a striker. God knows who, a crossbreed between Tammy and Kodjia. 

I think we'll look to bring in a striker who complements Tomlin, assuming he stays. I don't think Tammy and Tomlin worked as a pairing, and this has seen Tomlin fall out of favour because Abraham equals more goals. That's my personal theory, sure others will see it differently.

• Admin

With an upgraded RB and a 15 goal replacement for Tammy I believe we can be an 18th-ish team. 

Add a commanding goalie and we can look up to around proper mid table. 

Add a CM around the ability level of Korey to rotate with Pack & Korey and we can be capable of sitting just outside play offs. 

Add an exciting wide option and we can be play off challengers. 

Last Summer we spent around £15m and we are told we didn't plan to sell Kodjia so it must have worked within budgets so similar should be available this year. I'd like to see this spent on just the 5 signings outlined above to give a good uplift in the quality of our starting XI. And some of this will be mitigated by outgoings (maybe £1.5m for Tomlin, either Flint or Hordur will go too imo)

But key for me is LJ identifying his strongest XI earlier than he did this year. For the last 2 months we have the best record in the division and for large parts of that the starting lineup has been the same players. 

There is a fair bit of chat on the 'Rumours' thread about the nature of what we should be looking for this summer, and I'm of a mind that bringing in journeymen players is perhaps a strategy that isn't going to benefit us.

We might end up doing that, but undermines the supposed 'pathway' and commitment to younger developing players we have at the club.

Of the starting line-up the last five games, I could see that working next season, but with another right back (presuming Little moves on) and a Tammy replacement up top (maybe Djuric?).

We've other players who can come in/cover for roles in that side; presuming he isn't moved on Engvall could be the alternative to Taylor, O'Dowda is a left (or even right) sided option, while Vyner/Moore/Magnusson/Lloyd Kelly are defensive cover (presuming all are to be here and contesting for spots next year),

Add in Bobby Reid, Tomlin (where he plays; who knows, but we have him!), Hegeler, O'Neil, Golbourne, Lucic, even some more under-23s (dare I say Garita?) could 'graduate' and it looks like we've a half-decent sized squad, as long as they all buy into LJ and the coaching team's approach and system.

Think additions need to be genuine first team place competition this time around; the above shows we've a number of very much 'squad' players, so anyone incoming needs to be able to add something really significant.

If Forest go down, I'd not complain if Eric Lichaj came here; know he is under contract there until 2018 but rumours are the club will be wanting to sell if they go down as he'd only have a year left - would be an ideal replacement for Little in my eyes.

Equally I'd say Marley Watkins would be on our radar (again, if rumours are to be beloved); his being out of contract and with a decent season under his belt (and the link to LJ, if that is a positive...) would maybe make that viable, and bolster our right wing options.

Jesus - too soon ..............

But since you asked:-

- it depends on who leaves / who we sell, etc, etc.

In the assumption Tammy goes (why would he stay), we need:-

- another FIRST CHOICE keeper

- two or three defenders, including reinforcing full /wing back

- two midfielders

- probably two strikers (Tammy) + 1.

Virtually a new team (seven players). What really matters is that old adage - only buy what is going to improve the team - NOT like last year .........

:yawn:

tfj

In Order of requirement

• Striker - Tammy is going to be hard to replace so can imagine us looking to bring in 2 if Wilbs is off as well. 
  • Right Back - Offer Little a new contract though for added competition
  • Keeper - although Frankie is still a solid option for competition
  • Left Back - Can see Golbourne being moved on

I don't think we need to change too much from our starting XI atm tbh.

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

In my view we need to focus on experienced proven heads in the summer to strengthen key positions 

A commanding experienced keeper (Speroni)

Quality right back (Darikwa) 

Powerhouse in midfield who can dominate (Sidwell)

A pacy winger who is vesatile in a 4 or a front 3 (Adomah)

Striker to replace Tammy (Just who?)

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

With an upgraded RB and a 15 goal replacement for Tammy I believe we can be an 18th-ish team. 

Add a commanding goalie and we can look up to around proper mid table. 

Add a CM around the ability level of Korey to rotate with Pack & Korey and we can be capable of sitting just outside play offs. 

Add an exciting wide option and we can be play off challengers. 

Last Summer we spent around £15m and we are told we didn't plan to sell Kodjia so it must have worked within budgets so similar should be available this year. I'd like to see this spent on just the 5 signings outlined above to give a good uplift in the quality of our starting XI. And some of this will be mitigated by outgoings (maybe £1.5m for Tomlin, either Flint or Hordur will go too imo)

But key for me is LJ identifying his strongest XI earlier than he did this year. For the last 2 months we have the best record in the division and for large parts of that the starting lineup has been the same players. 

I have gone back 6, then 8 and then 10 matches and the highest I can get our form is 3rd. Good though that is of course and remarkable in the context of much of the season.

What makes you think Hordur will go? Flinty i can see why some Prem team may try and lure him away. I do hope Maggs can break back in; he was our best signing after Tammy, a rare shining light and then he was dropped. Very bizarre that was unless it was another falling out?

44 minutes ago, hodge said:

In Order of requirement

• Striker - Tammy is going to be hard to replace so can imagine us looking to bring in 2 if Wilbs is off as well. 
  • Right Back - Offer Little a new contract though for added competition
  • Keeper - although Frankie is still a solid option for competition
  • Left Back - Can see Golbourne being moved on

I don't think we need to change too much from our starting XI atm tbh.

If Golbourne does indeed go and Bryan is not reliable enough in that position then agreed; if the former remains I think we still need another in that left back position. Where does Bryan go from here though?

I like Little on the other side now that his confidence is back but both sides need strengthening. Probably need 2 strikers; agree with that also.

What has happened to Giefer? Came in to much fanfare, took Fieldings spot in short fashion seemingly made a few errors and he was out. Not the answer? Loan not to be extended?

Marshall from Hull, went there for big money but has found himself on the bench behind Jakupovic, could regular 1st team time tempt him to drop down again? Persuade Liverpool to loan us Danny Ward? Huddersfield have done alright with him in goal it seems. 

Just now, havanatopia said:

I have gone back 6, then 8 and then 10 matches and the highest I can get our form is 3rd. Good though that is of course and remarkable in the context of much of the season.

What makes you think Hordur will go? Flinty i can see why some Prem team may try and lure him away. I do hope Maggs can break back in; he was our best signing after Tammy, a rare shining light and then he was dropped. Very bizarre that was unless it was another falling out?

If Golbourne does indeed go and Bryan is not reliable enough in that position then agreed; if the former remains I think we still need another in that left back position. Where does Bryan go from here though?

I like Little on the other side now that his confidence is back but both sides need strengthening. Probably need 2 strikers; agree with that also.

What has happened to Giefer? Came in to much fanfare, took Fieldings spot in short fashion seemingly made a few errors and he was out. Not the answer? Loan not to be extended?

Got an eye injury, Frankie came back in and hasn't deserved dropping since. 

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

I think Magnusson will leave too. I've had a hunch we've been saving him as we already know we can get a good price for him from a premier league club. That's just me though. No need to sell both him and Flint though. One or the other for me unless the sums are unreal. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think Magnusson will leave too. I've had a hunch we've been saving him as we already know we can get a good price for him from a premier league club. That's just me though. No need to sell both him and Flint though. One or the other for me unless the sums are unreal. 

That would be a real shame in my opinion. The sort of player that can come with us to the Prem unless the new paradigm is mid table Championship obscurity from here on in!

33 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

That would be a real shame in my opinion. The sort of player that can come with us to the Prem unless the new paradigm is mid table Championship obscurity from here on in!

It would be a shame but just got that feeling. 

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

If we know he is so good that a Prem club will pay good money why the **** hasn't he been playing? Doesn't quite add up imho.

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Pack and Smith should be our starters next season. Brownhill is good enough to cover if he's not playing on the right side. 

A good right back to compete with Little who's actually been alright recently.

Perhaps another wide player as atm it's only Callum OD and Paterson. 

Then the big one, a striker. God knows who, a crossbreed between Tammy and Kodjia. 

We have Milan .

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If we know he is so good that a Prem club will pay good money why the **** hasn't he been playing? Doesn't quite add up imho.

I've done the math, it adds up. It's Bristol City, remember. 

Just now, Major Isewater said:

We have Milan .

I actually think that with a hopefully injury free summer behind him, the lad will end up a serious asset for us.

Tammy has of course been absolutely excellent for us, and often been tasked with holding the ball up, despite this not being his natural game, and it is to his credit he's improved in this since he joined.

But Djuric to me looks to have that side of his game sorted, and I think that you slot him in to the side and method we're playing with now, and he would be well suited to bringing other players (particularly the attacking elements of the midfield) into play, and this has been a key part to our recent success.

Clearly we will miss Tammy; his goal return has been phenomenal and he's a natural finisher, but I think that in combination with Taylor (and maybe Engvall too; you never know!) 'Our Milan' might end up being crucial to how we play next season.

It's worth noting that if we can get two or three strikers scoring 10 goals each, and keep improving the goal return across the pitch (Pack, Brownhill and Paterson have seen our midfield score five in five recently), then we'd be much like most other sides at this level; few have relied so heavily on a single, outstanding goal scorer as us.

Taylor, Djuric, possibly Engvall - not a terrible starting point for building a decent attacking selection.

I'd say that if they go down, might be worth a cheeky bid for Britt Assombalonga at Forest - though he's got a contract there even longer than LJ has here, so would still cost a pretty penny, unless they threw in a relegation clause.  Think once/if his knee is sorted, he'll end up a top player at this level.

50 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We have Milan .

He's an excellent target man but not the kind of striker our current tactics require imo. Need someone who can stretch the play and make forward runs for Taylor. 

Just now, Shtanley said:

He's an excellent target man but not the kind of striker our current tactics require imo. Need someone who can stretch the play and make forward runs for Taylor. 

I think if we start picking players to fit around Taylor we will be in serious trouble next season. 

42 minutes ago, samo II said:

I actually think that with a hopefully injury free summer behind him, the lad will end up a serious asset for us.

Tammy has of course been absolutely excellent for us, and often been tasked with holding the ball up, despite this not being his natural game, and it is to his credit he's improved in this since he joined.

But Djuric to me looks to have that side of his game sorted, and I think that you slot him in to the side and method we're playing with now, and he would be well suited to bringing other players (particularly the attacking elements of the midfield) into play, and this has been a key part to our recent success.

Clearly we will miss Tammy; his goal return has been phenomenal and he's a natural finisher, but I think that in combination with Taylor (and maybe Engvall too; you never know!) 'Our Milan' might end up being crucial to how we play next season.

It's worth noting that if we can get two or three strikers scoring 10 goals each, and keep improving the goal return across the pitch (Pack, Brownhill and Paterson have seen our midfield score five in five recently), then we'd be much like most other sides at this level; few have relied so heavily on a single, outstanding goal scorer as us.

Taylor, Djuric, possibly Engvall - not a terrible starting point for building a decent attacking selection.

I'd say that if they go down, might be worth a cheeky bid for Britt Assombalonga at Forest - though he's got a contract there even longer than LJ has here, so would still cost a pretty penny, unless they threw in a relegation clause.  Think once/if his knee is sorted, he'll end up a top player at this level.

Worth remembering too that he`s best buddies with Pato. They used to room together at Forest and he was really angry when they sold him to us.

Archived