IGNORED

Have you seen the City play at the stadium of Light

10 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

You gonna blindfold and chain Moyesy in your cupboard for when LJ gets the boot? 

Yes, I guess my restraining order won't matter then will it. I think I'll let Lee be his assistant, he hasn't done too badly lately. #DreamTeam

26 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

always felt I missed out on never visiting Joker Park. Looks a terrif old style ground...and my my mate in Sunderland used to go to school in Monkwearmouth (just across the road I believe). Never mind..the Stadium of Shite is very much on the agenda for next season

Not been the the SofL but went up to Roker once: managed to convince a friend from work (a Crewe fan) to drive me up. Dire 0-0 from what I recall. Sometime early 1990s.

Remember watching the 1-1 on telly. They gave us an absolute shoeing that match.

It was the season they walked the league! It was at the stadium of light, I was there! We were chanting 1-0 your only winning 1-0! And We're in your half again, we're in your half again! The were all over us but we stole a point, i think they only lost 2-3 times that year.

I remember watching the game in the pub. They were all over us and Welch was superb, but as the game wore on there was that sense that luck was on our side and we'd get something out of it. Great strike by Soren Andersen. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, bang on. Kevin Phillips scored for them and they absolutely hammered us but we got a point. Only about 100 City there but a night I`ll never forget!

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, bang on. Kevin Phillips scored for them and they absolutely hammered us but we got a point. Only about 100 City there but a night I`ll never forget!

I was also there, it was so one sided we were singing "we're only losing one nil"

Elvis probably had his best game ever for us 

I wasn't there but I remember it better than yesterday.  I was 16 at the time and just getting into away games, S/T being a must etc and City being of absolute central importance.  

It was early in the season and we were struggling to adapt to the second flight, having an unbalanced squad having spent millions on attackers.  Shaun Taylor was out injured long term and several clubs had driven a wide load through our feather weight defence.  John Ward was still in charge.  

We took an absolute pummelling.  It was different to going away with a good defensive game plan, ala on Saturday.  Sunderland should and could have won it by six.  It was a miss-match an I don't remember a City game quite like it.  They woz robbed!

I can only assume there were several inspired performances.  I'd be surprised if I don't have VHS footage of it back at my parents place.

We did lose 4-1, 5-0 and 6-1 that season and were ultimately relegated but that night we got away with it!

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was there, sat amongst the Macams. Did Philips have a penalty saved too?

I was in with the locals also. I got a torrent of abuse when Anderson equalised. Politely handed a beer in a Shields pub by some geezer that had been shouting abuse at me during the game. 

How that game ever ended 1-1? One of the most one sided 1-1s I have ever had the pleasure of watching. 

I went to the Soren Anderson game as I was working up there at the time and we totally robbed them TBH as they absolutely battered us, should have been out of sight.

I also went to Roker when we won 1 nil, that was 'different'. When we were drawing, the home support nearest our lot were all about 12, then when we scored, the 12 year olds moved aside to be replaced by a load of giants! All there was between us was a bit of tape IIRC.

Roker was quite a scary place at the time, would have been late 80's I guess. 

I was at Roker for the league cup 1st leg, we won 1nil with nicky morgan header? only a few of us up there, we stayed in the roker park hotel, a crap b and b, had to play a cup match for my darts team and couldn't go to the home leg, lost 5or 6 1, gabbiadini going mental... Thought the atmosphere in the ground was great and seemed very big.

2 hours ago, grubby said:

I was at Roker for the league cup 1st leg, we won 1nil with nicky morgan header? only a few of us up there, we stayed in the roker park hotel, a crap b and b, had to play a cup match for my darts team and couldn't go to the home leg, lost 5or 6 1, gabbiadini going mental... Thought the atmosphere in the ground was great and seemed very big.

I went to that with Bakes, and my brother, after doing a 6-2 shift. Bloody hanging, driving back, but great win. Stood on a side terrace/ paddock from memory?

Shame about capitulating in the 2nd leg. I think we were on top for the first half, then collapsed in the 2nd!

The season we got promoted to Div 1 (1975-76) we came second to Sunderland in Div 2. Late in the season we had a big midweek game at Roker and came away with a creditable 1-1 draw, Gerry Sweeney scored for us with a fantastic shot from outside the box.

The following season Sunderland went back down, I went to Roker again in midweek after they'd gone quite a few games without scoring a goal. I remember it was an awful game, a complete contrast to the previous season, a real relegation scrap and they managed to score right at the end, that was a very depressing journey home.

I was there.

I remember that we left at about midday and got to Sunderland about 5:30 pm due to traffic. Upon arrival my Mate asked a steward if they were confident of a win and he said he was Toon Army and hoped we battered em.

Songs from memory included "your half, were in your half again, were in your half again" as we had spent most of the first half and all of the second camped in defense. We also sang "my garden shed" as from memory the Stadium of Light was very small :)

Eventually got back home about 4 am in the morning

Archived