IGNORED

Rate city's performance this season....

3/10

To go from play offs in October to a relegation dog fight regardless of comfort at the end was poor, given the sizeable investment on top of that the only positives have been the start and end of the season. 

If we had been where we are now all season it probably would have been a 4/5 as it would recognise the toughness of the league rather than how up and far down we've been.

5 for me. We had tammy and still ended up in our annual championship relegation battle. Painful run between nov to feb. Johnson has got out of jail and fair play to him in the end at least for turning it around when we appeared goners.

He deserves another stab next season. Just about. But he must of used up all of his lives and the excuses must stop next season. If we are down there again after 15-20 games next time round he has to go.

4 for me. Good results but not necessarily performances in the first third. Absolutely dreadful middle third, as bad as I can ever remember. Really strong, uplifting end to the season against all my expectations over and the past month or so.

I'm relieved to still be a Championship club, and hoping LJ will have learned from that appalling run throughout the winter. If we can play as we have in the last 10 games (barring Preston away) we might just be a decent side next season. 

29 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

5 for me. We had tammy and still ended up in our annual championship relegation battle. Painful run between nov to feb. Johnson has got out of jail and fair play to him in the end at least for turning it around when we appeared goners.

He deserves another stab next season. Just about. But he must of used up all of his lives and the excuses must stop next season. If we are down there again after 15-20 games next time round he has to go.

I wish I could give us a 5.

5/10 = 12/24

I know that's hardly a great way to judge a rating but given that + everything LJ has had I'd say 2/10

Really depends on how you define perform. We all make our own expectations and judge from there. What did people realistically expect? Could have, should have.....

We've got a 8th youngest squad in the league averaging around 26.

We have one of the youngest managers in the country, who has ridden one hell of a storm and shown some gutsy attributes getting through it. Regardless of what people say, opinion, he called out a few players, but it's got them performing now. A certain Jose Mourinho often does a similar thing. Or perhaps some of you want the softer Arsene Wenger approach?

We spent approx £12 million but in this league the average spend is £12.5m per club this year, so we are on that average mark. There are teams who've spent more below us and teams who've spent less above us. 

We have 5 former premiership teams below us.

You can argue we've progressed, albeit a slightly from last season. More points. Higher attendances. A years experience for our young team and manager. Continuity. New training ground coming. Has the progression been enough? For me it's too hard to say. 

If you take a 26 game period (Steve Cotterill's games in champ with City last season) starting at the Cardiff loss and through our record run of defeats this season, we still won more games under LJ - 6 games won vs. 4 under SC.

In two 12 game spells we've had play-off form and we're finishing strongly.

But having said all this - it's all about next season. To use a football analogy, a draw away to the leaders mid-week is only good if you don't lose at home to the bottom club the next Saturday. Next season has to show real signs that we are not in another lower half battle and that standing by LJ was not a waste this year.

5/10. Whereas those dark months during our unbeaten run contained some awful moments and were very grim indeed, Tammy has been a revelation and there have been some really enjoyable games (e.g. the home ones against Villa, Huddersfield and the second half against Barnsley).

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Really depends on how you define perform. We all make our own expectations and judge from there. What did people realistically expect? Could have, should have.....

We've got a 8th youngest squad in the league averaging around 26.

We have one of the youngest managers in the country, who has ridden one hell of a storm and shown some gutsy attributes getting through it. Regardless of what people say, opinion, he called out a few players, but it's got them performing now. A certain Jose Mourinho often does a similar thing. Or perhaps some of you want the softer Arsene Wenger approach?

We spent approx £12 million but in this league the average spend is £12.5m per club this year, so we are on that average mark. There are teams who've spent more below us and teams who've spent less above us. 

We have 5 former premiership teams below us.

You can argue we've progressed, albeit a slightly from last season. More points. Higher attendances. A years experience for our young team and manager. Continuity. New training ground coming. Has the progression been enough? For me it's too hard to say. 

If you take a 26 game period (Steve Cotterill's games in champ with City last season) starting at the Cardiff loss and through our record run of defeats this season, we still won more games under LJ - 6 games won vs. 4 under SC.

In two 12 game spells we've had play-off form and we're finishing strongly.

But having said all this - it's all about next season. To use a football analogy, a draw away to the leaders mid-week is only good if you don't lose at home to the bottom club the next Saturday. Next season has to show real signs that we are not in another lower half battle and that standing by LJ was not a waste this year.

I don't agree with any manager calling players out, if you want to have a go at them do it in the privacy of the dressing room. Mourinho has won leagues and a European cup so has earned respect and is why he gets away with it a bit more. After calling Magnusson out he hasn't played a second since. No player can be happy being publicly slated by their manager.  Agree with your post overall

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

3/10.

Interesting scores are mostly 3's and 4's with 6 the highest yet the majority still appear to want the manager to stay.

Baffling.

Shall we just sack Johnson after Sunday's lap of honour and get you onto the pitch , give you a mic and let you let us know who is the guy that you reckon is gonna lead us to the promised land? I'm really interested to know...

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

3/10.

Interesting scores are mostly 3's and 4's with 6 the highest yet the majority still appear to want the manager to stay.

Baffling.

There is plenty of scope for improvement and Johnson has learned from his own mistakes mid-season hence the major upturn in form recently. Given his record overall isn't that bad I think it's fair to say that he deserves to keep his job. What realistically were you expecting from this season? Top 6? The squad itself was light and it needed a lot of work. I would say it's right to consolidate for a couple of seasons given the cluster **** of the first 5/6 months of last season... 

He has shown he is fully capable of managing at this level

20 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Shall we just sack Johnson after Sunday's lap of honour and get you onto the pitch , give you a mic and let you let us know who is the guy that you reckon is gonna lead us to the promised land? I'm really interested to know...

That wouldn't happen, he's boycotted the club for reasons I can't even remember

Something to do with the 'overlord' Lansdown??? ;)

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

That wouldn't happen, he's boycotted the club for reasons I can't even remember

Something to do with the 'overlord' Lansdown??? ;)

This Lansdown bloke? ******* bag - o shite . not got a f@@king clue.. 

I would have said before the season started par for the course, allowing for new players but some investment in the squad, was 60-65 points. It is therefore below par, but maybe in the end by only 3 points, so I will go for a 5 overall, mainly because the last quarter gives some hope.

So with one game to go {and surely a good chance of winning} compared to last season we are currently one place higher, 2pts better off, above 3 teams that finished higher {not included those relegated}, have a +12 goal difference and have a lot of young players that will have benefitted from having experienced this seasons ups and downs.

Given the above and the money we have spent a 5 seems fair for this season.

If the club as a whole can build on what seems like a small improvement compared to last year, including management, recruitment and the development of players we have, I am very optimistic.

3 hours ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being excllent (think 2014/5 season) 1 being utter disaster... rate city's performance this season.... personally I'd give it 5/10.....

4-5

Not brilliant, but ultimately, we stayed up.

6 - not a great season - all over the place mid season,  but some positive signs end of - Brownhills,  Paterson & O Dowda all positives. Was at Preston - thought that was the moment we got relegated - fact it didn't happen disproves a lot of the conspiracy theories. Much to do in close season, but something to build on.

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

3/10.

Baffling.

It's almost as if there has been a dramatic improvement in our recent form which has prompted people to rethink their view on the manager, whilst not denying that overall the season has been a disappointment.

Not really that baffling is it. It's only baffling if you continue to refuse to acknowledge the recent improvement or think the only possible solution to a disappointing (but not disastrous) campaign is to sack the manager and start again. You don't have to agree with that viewpoint to understand why many now might be inclined to give LJ more time.

3. - Don't understand how anyone can give a score of 5 (average) or more to a season where we:

a) set a record for the longest run of league defeats in our 123 year history

b) went through a period of only two league wins in twenty one games

c) where we only avoided relegation in the penultimate game.

For me this season was a great disappointment that almost turned into a disaster -  particularly considering the momentum of the new ground, the 19 new signings and the pre season hype.

Archived