IGNORED

This may be an unpopular view but...

Mr Popodopolous

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But surely you can see that we should have won a match in which we were 0-3 up at half time? 

But surely yore forgetting the very dodgy penalty awarded and the incredible miss from Taylor?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But surely you can see that we should have won a match in which we were 0-3 up at half time? 

Of course we should win a game when leading 3-0. We didn't and that is history. 

However what a couple of posters have said is that the 1st half showed what we could be capable of. I've been going home and away for 30 years and I am struggling to remember a better execution of football from bcfc. 

The problem is we didn't see it through on that day hence the disappointment. 

My view is that if we can find that formula that worked so well in the 1st half and on a number of other occasions (Newcastle, Brighton away and Huddersfield, Villa at home) then there could be exciting times ahead.

Sticking with LJ on that basis is the right decision for now in my opinion  

2 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Of course we should win a game when leading 3-0. We didn't and that is history. 

However what a couple of posters have said is that the 1st half showed what we could be capable of. I've been going home and away for 30 years and I am struggling to remember a better execution of football from bcfc. 

The problem is we didn't see it through on that day hence the disappointment. 

My view is that if we can find that formula that worked so well in the 1st half and on a number of other occasions (Newcastle, Brighton away and Huddersfield, Villa at home) then there could be exciting times ahead.

Sticking with LJ on that basis is the right decision for now in my opinion  

Fair play....I've been going home and away for 43 years and I can think of many, many times when we've shown better football than Derby away, blazed into a good lead and held into it, shown strength and won the game...I just don't think LJ is the man to take us forward...we've hardly made any progress under him and have just endured a horrible, horrible season...

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play....I've been going home and away for 43 years and I can think of many, many times when we've shown better football than Derby away, blazed into a good lead and held into it, shown strength and won the game...I just don't think LJ is the man to take us forward...we've hardly made any progress under him and have just endured a horrible, horrible season...

I think I am right in saying this is the first season where teams can only loan players in the transfer windows. So managers need to learn to adapt. sometimes you need to cut some slack.

14 hours ago, kmpowell said:

Putting aside the huge amount of money spent on transfers then the set of results after the cataclysmic combustion following Crapdiff... Lee Johnson publicly throwing players under the bus to save his own skin; being treated like a fool by Mark Ashton; and Steve Lansdown's line about how big his wallet is versus us fans, doesn't go down as a good season for me.

In 28 years of following/supporting City, I've never felt so disconnected to the club as I do now.

I'm genuinely really interested to know how you feel "disconnected" from the club?

I've supported City for 30+ years and can't say I've heard the phrase before this season - I just don't get it.

is it just a way of telling everyone that you're unhappy with how our season went or do you feel that the club has set out to piss you off, or is it something else?

Same old boring comments on here. It wasn't a dire season. Rotherham had a dire season we had a subpar season. We wasted so much money. The only money we wasted was on the signings everyone were thrilled to get(Tomlin, O'Neil, Matthews). The ones we should've been able to count on in our struggling times. 

Serious overreactions on here. There is no in between with some of you. There is a bigger picture when it comes to the club. Talk of disconnect but the owner has publicly spoken how many times now and said the same things? Maybe wait and see how it pans out. 

19 hours ago, SARJ said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves: despite a decent finish, this season has been godawful. 

Never before has going to City felt like a chore for me, but going down to watch a tinkered with Johnson side play dire football and ultimately lose made a night in with the ironing more appealing. And said situation went on for weeks and weeks.

Top that off with Lansdown's comments that the paying supporters not having the right to grumble about it whilst advertising basketball and badminton at halftime.

Glad we're staying up, but I'd be happier next season if Lee wasn't our manager.

There were off the field fuckups for sure. Still don't think was quite as awful as all that.

One area I 100% agree with though is the attempting to stifle dissent. I didn't like that at all. However it is fairly common place of the modern game so it's not like we are unique in that sense!

19 hours ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

Absolutely agree with you. I also think that there is a great danger of over-analysing every game. Every team has its highs and lows and it's unrealistic to expect them to crush the opposition every time.  It hasn't been the perfect season by any means, but looked at as a whole, we have done pretty well. This won't make me popular either, but my highlight will remain Luke Freeman's goal against Ipswich... loved it!!!!!!

Freeman's first home goal...great stuff! Well remembered, that was nice. Pretty well maybe overegging it a bit but I had a look at several Championship previews back in summer yesterday and we are not a million miles off what most said, in fact in some right in the range- let's not forget what a hard hard League this is tbh.

6 years ago, Mick McCarthy was a lower midtable PL manager for example, now he's a midtable- possibly lower mid table- Championship manager. To say nothing of Benitez, Di Matteo managerial careers (Benitez mainly and Di Matteo bombed at Villa) Tony Mowbray was still seen as an up and coming for his work at WBA and then he had a stint at Celtic- one he failed in so it's a mixed bag but it's hard hard League.  Rather harder than last time we were at this level for a few years all told. Owen Coyle was a rising manager at Bolton having done fine work at Burnley and St Johnstone? Now? Sacked by Blackburn in a relegation scrap.

21 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I don't ever have expectations of doing well: decades of watching us play have sapped almost sense of optimism. And as a minimum in Division 2 I would take top of the bottom 4, and then anything else is a bonus.

I don't think this is the worst season I have lived through and I certainly don't think LJ is the worst manager I recall, but there is no way of dressing up the winless run as anything but a sh1tshow. In addition, our bedwetting game management tactics during that run suggested that players and management were clueless as to what they should be doing. Your honourable mention of Derby away is an example: 3 up in the first half and (IIRC) forced them to use all their subs in the 1st half. To piss that away was unacceptable. Possibly team talks by the opposing manager thereafter involved him sticking his head around the dressing room door and simply saying "lads, it's City".

I wanted LJ gone earlier this year, but I give him the benefit of the doubt in pulling together a run when it mattered at the end of the season. The concern is that a large part of our survival hinged on goals from a teenage loanee: replacing him is just one of the major jobs LJ has between now and August. 2-3 months into 2017/18 will be the test of whether he can hack it.

Oh we should have beat Derby., I've thought about that one and while parts of that game were good we did screw that one up- it was both a great first half and an awful nadir of a collapse. Still in normal circs- if not for the awful run which preceded it, a point at Derby is ok in my eyes. Disappointing the order we scored and conceded in and Taylor miss for sure but first half we were flying. For me, the true nadir of the disastrous slump was the defeats to Reading and Cardiff in successive home games- to be winning going into the last 20 (2-0 v Cardiff and 1-0 v Reading) and 90% similar scenario to occur in each and lose 2-3 was really appalling. Agree, Tammy will be a major miss to say the least but I have faith that this squad is reasonable, especially if we replace a waster such as Matthews in summer with a quality committed Right back.

Generally speaking, it's weird though, despite the disastrous slump I never thought we would drop- well I say that, the 5-0 loss at Preston was one moment where I thought we were doomed, but beyond that I thought we would always battle to survival. 

Another general point- I googled Championship previews yesterday, ones that preview the League and predict back in summer. Two observations- quite a few predicted us to finish in this range, 15th was the upper limit in a number. Observation 2 is that a number predicted Kodjia as key man. And last general point, I think had we been in the 15th-18th range through the season, not really threatening the playoffs but not really threatening the issues, just the same sort of lower midtable form throughout would we all be so annoyed at LJ and the club? Not sure tbh.

18 hours ago, Monkeh said:

did you not watch us under SoD, that was far worse then anything served up this season, despite the bad run, we've always had fight (two games aside), under SoD we didn't even have that 

Yes I did watch us under SoD. Difference is nobody on this forum tried to defend that shambles.

7 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Yes I did watch us under SoD. Difference is nobody on this forum tried to defend that shambles.

That's not true mate, there were quite a few at the time.

Interestingly the same one's who seem to hate Steve Cotterill with a passion and pop up on any thread that mentions his name!!*

*apart from one notable absence of late.

On 02/05/2017 at 10:14, glynriley said:

Maybe if they looked only at the table.

If they looked a bit deeper and saw we'd lost 11 in 12 at one point. Lost games against Sheff Weds after being 2 up, Cardiff at home late on after leading, Reading at home after being 2 up plus the 2 drawn games I've mentioned above, I think most people would say our season was bang average (at best).

I think 'average' is the wrong word. We've fluctuated wildly between 'brilliant' and 'crap' but not so sure we have really managed 'average' very often.

I think my preferred word would be 'mixed'.

dont know what people expected . Untried and untested players brought in including mags .loan striker playing his 1st season. Main striker looking to go and did. Tomlin causing problems was always going to happen has everywhere he been.Oneil not being the player he once was .A fullback on loan who wasn't trying to get in wales euro squad so didn't care . Would have tested much more experienced than lj .not saying he was great but you would hope when the dust settles he sits back and learns from it all .one thing 442 works in this league trying to be to clever doesn't .ok being a modern manager sometimes doing the old fashion way works.massive learning curve for everyone involved.bear in mind a euro cup winning manger with ahuge budget and virtually a Premier league squad may only finish second shows how tough this league is

2 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

dont know what people expected . Untried and untested players brought in including mags .loan striker playing his 1st season. Main striker looking to go and did. Tomlin causing problems was always going to happen has everywhere he been.Oneil not being the player he once was .A fullback on loan who wasn't trying to get in wales euro squad so didn't care . Would have tested much more experienced than lj .not saying he was great but you would hope when the dust settles he sits back and learns from it all .one thing 442 works in this league trying to be to clever doesn't .ok being a modern manager sometimes doing the old fashion way works.massive learning curve for everyone involved.

Where did you learn to write English?  I'm glad I didn't send my kids to that school.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Where did you learn to write English?  I'm glad I didn't send my kids to that school.

that's the trouble people just insulting easy to do with a keyboard .not so easy face to face

Archived