IGNORED

Harry & Steve

galleyman

I was fortunate enough to attend last week an Evening With Harry Redknapp dinner event at Exeter City FC. Harry's after dinner speach was brilliant, engaging and fascinating, with endless hilarious anecdotes from his lifetime in the game. Sample joke about managing the Jordanian national team: "It was a bit of a misunderstanding. Someone phoned me up and asked if I fancied doing Jordan".

Unfortunately at the Q&A bit the compare didn't choose to ask him my question about Cotterill, whether he was grooming him up as next Brum manager and how he rated him as a coach. Nor my afterthought question about his chances against 'in-form Bristol City' on the final day.

Top man, he will get a warm reception from me, as will SC.

I think most managers of Harrys generation are rogues in one way or another, but I like the bloke.

As for SC, delivered one of the best seasons of my 50 years, so will alway give him a huge cheer and standing ovation, even if I met him at the bus stop.

3 hours ago, Tiree said:

There is no doubt at all S.C will get a massive standing ovation from all sides of a packed A.G. Dont think Harry deserves that from Bristol City fans at all.

Once the game starts it will be all Lj and SL from 3 sides and a boisterous show of support for 'Arry and Steve from the Atyeo. Also expect Tammy to be subbed on 70 mins to get the biggest ovation ever seen at our ground; he must feel the love!

Not if he's on a hat trick ;) 

28 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Was I the only person who thought Dolman for Harry and Steve for Lansdown instead of Redknapp and Cotts? I thought to myself surely Harry is dead. Oh dear. Nurse...

No - my exact reaction. I thought it was going to be a thread comparing the angelic Harry Dolman with the neo fascist dictator Steve Lansdown (attributed to Ivorguy).

Just now, Leveller said:

No - my exact reaction. I thought it was going to be a thread comparing the angelic Harry Dolman with the neo fascist dictator Steve Lansdown (attributed to Ivorguy).

Well thanks for the mention but I am quite capable of speaking for myself without others putting words into my mouth. 

PS As an historian I would never ever use the word fascist in such an inappropriate way, nor, in my opinion, should anyone else. The word carries far too much luggage for that.  

Nor, I guess, would anyone use the adjective angelic to describe Harry Dolman, but at least he never suffered from pr speak and in last analysis he did take City to The Promised Land with a proper Boardroom too ! Plus don't forget the massive improvements he made to the ground

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not if he's on a hat trick ;) 

Tammy on a hat trick and on 75 minutes, with the score 2-2, we get a penalty. Tammy scores and is then subbed. 

The perfect end.

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Was he found guilty of anything to be called a crook? Apologies if he has and I missed it. And a 'fraud of a manager' ?? Have you seen his record?

Yep, other than Spurs and Portsmouth, a club he sent into financial ruin, it's pretty poor, from memory.

Neither of them will be getting a good reception from me. I'll be giving our current management and players a huge round of applause to show my appreciation for the work they have done to secure our status.

Steve got my praise at the time of his success. Unfortunately it all ended on a sour note with him having a pop at our fans and I didn't like that.

Our fans are very fickle, will give LJ all sorts of abuse despite twice keeping us in the decision yet worship Cotts who was sending us down.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yep, other than Spurs and Portsmouth, a club he sent into financial ruin, it's pretty poor, from memory.

Poor memory then....he won a division title as Bournemouth manager, won a European Trophy as West Ham boss and got QPR promoted from the Championship into the Premier League and won Premier League Manager of the Year Award in 2010....

Whilst at West Ham he developed a lot of youngsters including Glen Johnson, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Jermain Defoe etc etc....and he took that team to a 5th placed finish in the Premier League.

As Spurs boss, in his first full season he took them to a 4th placed finish and into the Champions League. And then he took them to another 4th placed finish.

At Pompey, he won the Championship title getting them promoted to the Premier League and when he returned there he won the FA Cup as Pompey manager...

So, you think that's the record of a 'fraud of a manager' ?? 

And you haven't answered my question following you calling him a 'crook' - has he been found guilty of any offence?

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Poor memory then....he won a division title as Bournemouth manager, won a European Trophy as West Ham boss and got QPR promoted from the Championship into the Premier League and won Premier League Manager of the Year Award in 2010....

Whilst at West Ham he developed a lot of youngsters including Glen Johnson, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Jermain Defoe etc etc....and he took that team to a 5th placed finish in the Premier League.

As Spurs boss, in his first full season he took them to a 4th placed finish and into the Champions League. And then he took them to another 4th placed finish.

At Pompey, he won the Championship title getting them promoted to the Premier League and when he returned there he won the FA Cup as Pompey manager...

So, you think that's the record of a 'fraud of a manager' ?? 

And you haven't answered my question following you calling him a 'crook' - has he been found guilty of any offence?

And spent a fortune for all of those things

Once he didnt have the funds at QPR they were promptly relegated. His dog could have got them promoted with their budget.

Portsmouth he overachieved at, at the cost of ruining the club financially, they are now just recovering.

Spurs, did about as expected with the squad he had, they've progressed far more in the last 2 seasons with a good manager.

Past players of his have publicly called him "a very bad manager".

Lots of players will praise any manager, it happens at every club, but rarely does a player publicly say one is crap.

He wasn't convicted, but he's far from an honest person. He will lie, straight to peoples faces. An example stems from the very tax fraud trial he had. After the verdict he described himself as "the ungreediest person in the world" but the money paid into his account was "money from the profit of the Peter Crouch sale" (according to him anyway) after "he kicked up a fuss thinking his 5% cut was not enough." (according to the then Portsmouth owner). 

So that 5% cut (over £100k) not being enough and causing him to throw a strop directly contradicts his "ungreedy" (sic) comments.

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

And spent a fortune for all of those things

Once he didnt have the funds at QPR they were promptly relegated. His dog could have got them promoted with their budget.

Portsmouth he overachieved at, at the cost of ruining the club financially, they are now just recovering.

Spurs, did about as expected with the squad he had, they've progressed far more in the last 2 seasons with a good manager.

Past players of his have publicly called him "a very bad manager".

Lots of players will praise any manager, it happens at every club, but rarely does a player publicly say one is crap.

He wasn't convicted, but he's far from an honest person. He will lie, straight to peoples faces. An example stems from the very tax fraud trial he had. After the verdict he described himself as "the ungreediest person in the world" but the money paid into his account was "money from the profit of the Peter Crouch sale" (according to him anyway) after "he kicked up a fuss thinking his 5% cut was not enough." (according to the then Portsmouth owner). 

So that 5% cut (over £100k) not being enough and causing him to throw a strop directly contradicts his "ungreedy" (sic) comments.

A lot of 'hearsay' comments there, not saying you're wrong, but nothing concrete there....players saying he's a 'very bad manager' ?! Must be ones he didn't pick because his record suggests otherwise. And how is the situation regarding Pompey's finances in the past down to him? He wasn't the owner and he said many times he didn't know the details of his players' contracts - i.e. their salaries etc. So it wasn't down to him. But then you are convinced he's a liar so you probably won't accept this.

And you seem to have his QPR record back to front....they were relegated from the Premier League after he took over Mark Hughes' mess and he promptly got them promoted back to the Premier League the next season...and you seem to contradict yourself there too....you say he was relegated due to 'lack of funds' but then say 'anyone could have got QPR promoted with their big budget' - so did he have funds or not?!

"I will Boo at our match when Steve walks out on the pitch.........but I will booing not him personally but Harry........sorry Steve but your going to get massive grief if things don't go your way and so will Harry.. Anyone else going to join me.........and please don't give me all this fluffy 'well we must get behind him' etc - no, this is a total joke and Harry need to know it."

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A lot of 'hearsay' comments there, not saying you're wrong, but nothing concrete there....players saying he's a 'very bad manager' ?! Must be ones he didn't pick because his record suggests otherwise. And how is the situation regarding Pompey's finances in the past down to him? He wasn't the owner and he said many times he didn't know the details of his players' contracts - i.e. their salaries etc. So it wasn't down to him. But then you are convinced he's a liar so you probably won't accept this.

And you seem to have his QPR record back to front....they were relegated from the Premier League after he took over Mark Hughes' mess and he promptly got them promoted back to the Premier League the next season...and you seem to contradict yourself there too....you say he was relegated due to 'lack of funds' but then say 'anyone could have got QPR promoted with their big budget' - so did he have funds or not?!

I got QPR wrong, but so have you there.

Hughes left with well under half a season gone. Redknapp took them down with a big budget. They then got promoted via the playoffs.

The next season their budget was reduced, but he left relatively early on/pre season.

Takes 2 minutes to search and see links to Taraabt criticising Redknapp. Id post one but phone battery is going to die any second.

"Fraud" may have been harsh, I'll drop down to "very over rated".

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Ivorguy? Just about had enough of him or her on any subject!

Well lucky you're here to give us thrilling updates on the south coast teams, I'd be bored witless without hearing about BoMo, :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think a rousing rendition of "One Steve Cotterill" lasting for, ooh at least the entire first half, would be the most eloquent expression of disatisfaction with all that's gone on this season.

I will thank Steve Cotterill, heartily, for providing such an outstanding League one title & JPT double. A truely fantastic season! 

I'd rather have LJ in charge now, in the Championship. SC struggled at this level. LJ has had his struggles at times, but has shown a lot more promise at this level. 

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I will thank Steve Cotterill, heartily, for providing such an outstanding League one title & JPT double. A truely fantastic season! 

I'd rather have LJ in charge now, in the Championship. SC struggled at this level. LJ has had his struggles at times, but has shown a lot more promise at this level. 

I think many people forget we were heading straight back to League One under Cotts.

Archived