IGNORED

Flint makes EFL team of the week. As does...

Dr Balls

Quite rightly after his "Man-Mountain" performance at the Amex, Aden Flint makes the EFL team of the week. Well deserved!

Also I see that Derrick Williams was named as the left back/wing-back. Remember him? The one who many on here slated as not good enough for us despite being pretty much an ever-present in our promotion-winning team? Always liked him as a player, plus still only 24 and named as Blackburn fans' player of the season.

Is he another one who got away in that position just like Cunningham, or do we finally think that Joe Bryan can cut it long-term at left back?

26 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Quite rightly after his "Man-Mountain" performance at the Amex, Aden Flint makes the EFL team of the week. Well deserved!

Also I see that Derrick Williams was named as the left back/wing-back. Remember him? The one who many on here slated as not good enough for us despite being pretty much an ever-present in our promotion-winning team? Always liked him as a player, plus still only 24 and named as Blackburn fans' player of the season.

Is he another one who got away in that position just like Cunningham, or do we finally think that Joe Bryan can cut it long-term at left back?

Williams is an athletic player , à defender in the mould of Scott Golbourne who  gets a nosebleed if he passes the halfway line.

As others have said, being the best at Blackburn this season is hardly a glowing reference. I liked Williams but he's a League One player, if we want to progress we need Championship and higher quality players.

He got torn a new one by Paterson the other week. One that got away and then (probably) got relegated. Doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Not sure where your bitterness comes from either @Dr Balls, don't remember him leaving with anything but well wishes and he got a round of applause when we were at Blackburn.

28 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No imo. He's not good enough for the championship. Thought I'd read somewhere he's been voted player of the year at Blackburn . Hardly any surprise they're favourites for the drop. Decent player for us in league one but that's what he is , a league one player. 

Christ, I thought for a moment you were talking about Aden Flint when I read your first sentence!

Derek Williams appeared to have a stormer at left back on Saturday from the highlights I watched.  Good on him - always liked him but no regrets about him leaving.  Bit unfair to suggest that he is particularly responsible for Blackburn being relegation candidates!

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Bit unfair to suggest that he is particularly responsible for Blackburn being relegation candidates!

I don't think anyone is saying he is particularly responsible. They are saying that if he is the best they have then that is an issue.

15 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

He got torn a new one by Paterson the other week. One that got away and then (probably) got relegated. Doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Not sure where your bitterness comes from either @Dr Balls, don't remember him leaving with anything but well wishes and he got a round of applause when we were at Blackburn.

Not bitter about him leaving but just suggesting that again we may have let a young decent left back go.

I am not suggesting we are lacking options. As it stands we have one player who is definitely a left back (Golbourne), one who plays ther internationally but doesn't get picked there for us (Magnusson) and one whose best position on previous evidence could stil be central or left-side midfield (Bryan).

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

As others have said, being the best at Blackburn this season is hardly a glowing reference. 

I initially thought the same, but look at us with Tammy & Flint. You can be an outstanding or even a very good player in a struggling team.

Just now, Dr Balls said:

Not bitter about him leaving but just suggesting that again we may have let a young decent left back go.

I am not suggesting we are lacking options. As it stands we have one player who is definitely a left back (Golbourne), one who plays ther internationally but doesn't get picked there for us (Magnusson) and one whose best position on previous evidence could stil be central or left-side midfield (Bryan).

I'm assuming that Golbourne will go in the summer, as he seems to be right out of contention.  Lloyd Kelly is a left back isn't he? I believe great things are expected of him., though he's not yet 19 so next season may be a little to early for him...

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Christ, I thought for a moment you were talking about Aden Flint when I read your first sentence!

Derek Williams appeared to have a stormer at left back on Saturday from the highlights I watched.  Good on him - always liked him but no regrets about him leaving.  Bit unfair to suggest that he is particularly responsible for Blackburn being relegation candidates!

You do tend to read into things too much. Where have I stated he's responsible ? It's quite obvious I meant that if DW is the calibre of player they're signing its no wonder they're in trouble .  

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Williams is an athletic player , à defender in the mould of Scott Golbourne who  gets a nosebleed if he passes the halfway line.

Really? Check out the C5 highlights vs Villa. Also he got forward quite a bit in our recent draw there. Having said that the whole of Blackburn's defence that day were pretty poor including Williams.

I liked DW. Big mate of Flinty's. Bailey Wright is a better player in my opinion at CB alongside AF and I'm not sure at LB. 

I think he is going to have a very decent career and is very sale able (of very few Blackburn assets). 

Another example of developing a player moving him on and getting two pay days with a sell on. 

I mentioned on here he was their player of the year a few days ago and now we are ok sincerely hope they stay up, however if they go down I can see that sell on clause kicking in. (Insert crystal ball here)

5 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I always felt that Williams would end up being a decent Championship player. He has time on his side.

Me too. He knew how to defend and like Flint would put his body on the line.  A steady centre back who was young and likely to improve in his mid/late twentys. 

Archived