IGNORED

A good read

Jerseybean

Let's see if this appeals.

With the closed-season looming thought it might be a good time to start a thread on recommended books, whether football-related or otherwise. 

Hopefully it will provide some decent suggestions.

So to get things going I've just started on 'You'll win nothing with kids' Fathers, sons and football' by Jim White. A poignant and funny account of youth football and the impact it has on all concerned, especially dads.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/youll-win-nothing-with-kids-by-jim-white-464781.html

Just finished John Lydon's bio, not bad, and just started Oliver Reeds (what fresh lunacy is this) which after 1 chapter looks like it's going to be very good. Bringing it back to sport, Tommy Doherty my story , Bobby Roson and CB Fry all worth a look.

for the old un's.... my interest in Footballing stories was started by Eamon Dunphy's "Only a Game?" A diary of a professional footballer. For the younger 'uns Dunphy was a Republic of Ireland International who played mostly for Millwall, His career was on the wane when he wrote the diary, whilst others (such as team mate Gordon Hill) was just starting. I found the diary both funny and informative in equal measure, whilst laying bare just how "empty" a Pro Footballers life can be.

Easily the best read was Gazza "My story". A very funny, light and occasionally tragic read. It's not often I laugh out loud whilst reading a book...but this book managed it a number of times.

Someone brought me an Ian Rush autobiography to read once. I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Just finished John Lydon's bio, not bad, and just started Oliver Reeds (what fresh lunacy is this) which after 1 chapter looks like it's going to be very good. Bringing it back to sport, Tommy Doherty my story , Bobby Roson and CB Fry all worth a look.

Did the Oliver Reed book have the  alleged story of when Keith Moon moved in next door? Apparently he arrived by a (noisy) helicopter which Reed took a dislike to, to the point of firing a rifle at it! Come to think of it, it may have been the other way round. Regardless they became great mates!

19 hours ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

Favourite football book so far is Frank Lampards. Easy to read and interesting. Want to read Manuel Meyer's biography but can't find one in English

9 minutes ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

That should read Manuel Neuer!!! Bloody spell checkers!!!!!

Now you tell me. In that 18 hours and 51 minutes I purchased Manuel Meyer's biography and am on page 260. Thus far he has been born, had a very unremarkable existence at his local school and then spent 48 years keeping his head down and not doing anything to upset the bosses or his workmates at a steel plant in Cologne. He has never even got married, had a relationship or a holiday. I thought something spectacular must happen in the last 20 pages for you to have been so desirous of reading it. Now I discover you meant Manuel Bloody Neuer!!!

44 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Now you tell me. In that 18 hours and 51 minutes I purchased Manuel Meyer's biography and am on page 260. Thus far he has been born, had a very unremarkable existence at his local school and then spent 48 years keeping his head down and not doing anything to upset the bosses or his workmates at a steel plant in Cologne. He has never even got married, had a relationship or a holiday. I thought something spectacular must happen in the last 20 pages for you to have been so desirous of reading it. Now I discover you meant Manuel Bloody Neuer!!!

May 3rd 2014 is the only time I have laughed longer.

20 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Lutz Pfannenstiel`s autobiography is quite possibly the maddest football book I`ve ever read.

This name rings a bell - is this the goalkeeper that has played just about everywhere? Heard him on H&J on talksport a few times, worth a read?

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

This name rings a bell - is this the goalkeeper that has played just about everywhere? Heard him on H&J on talksport a few times, worth a read?

Certainly is, he`s mad as a box of frogs. He`s played on every continent and got into scrapes wherever he`s been - and has enjoyed every minute of it.

I`ve heard him on Talksport now and again and Danny Baker has him as a guest occasionally.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Certainly is, he`s mad as a box of frogs. He`s played on every continent and got into scrapes wherever he`s been - and has enjoyed every minute of it.

I`ve heard him on Talksport now and again and Danny Baker has him as a guest occasionally.

Wonderful, might grab a copy for the summer holiday

11 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

For a football book, I'd recommend 'The Nowhere Men' by Michael Calvin, a book about football scouts (with several references to Bristol City in it).  An excellent read.

I can definitely recommend his follow up book Inside the Volcano, every chapter by a different manager/coach. Cracking insight. 

12 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

A book I read a very long time ago which captured football in the 1970's was The Glory Game by Hunter Davies. If my poor memory serves me right he was allowed access to the team for a season. 

Fairly sure it was the same season they (Spurs) met City in the two-legged League Cup semi-final.

Good football books I've read include 'Fear and Loathing in La Liga' which is a history of El Clasico from a footballing and political/social standpoint. 

Zlatan and Pirlo's books are also excellent reads.

In terms of non football my favourite book of all time is 'Neither Here Nor There' by Bill Bryson. It's a humorous chronicle of his trips round Europe. I must have read it 30 times, and it never gets old. 

If you like travel literature then I can also recommend the 'Driving Over Lemons' trilogy. 

Archived