IGNORED

Taking kids to a game

yardy

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Maybe cos he's the parent and can decide what's best for his child? ;) 

Blimey Dolly it was only a light-hearted question!  At what point did I suggest he didn't know what was best for the child?  Bringing a baby to a football match just sounds like hard work to me so if anything I was showing concern for a fellow parent!

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Blimey Dolly it was only a light-hearted question!  At what point did I suggest he didn't know what was best for the child?  Bringing a baby to a football match just sounds like hard work to me so if anything I was showing concern for a fellow parent!

And I was only replying in a light hearted way, honest! :) 

I first took my daughter when she was 5- she was transfixed and loved the spectacle of it all- the music, the standing up and the cheering. She improved her own football by seeing the game from above and actually seeing what people meant by "get into a space" ( not sure the rest of her team ever really got this!!). She found the language around her quite amusing and usually, after some fairly fruity language ( it IS City when all is said and done...), she was apologised to, very politely.She loved the attention and people talking to her and amused people around her by her misunderstanding of some of what she heard- She asked why people were shouting "Tsunami".... this was "red/ cider army"!, she didn't understand why some players had "turnip" apparently shouted at them... that would be " turn him"... And my personal favourite was the day when having asked me how long was left, to which when I replied 5 minutes she enthusiastically said that wasn't long... we were winning at the time, so rather negatively pointed out that 5 mins was a long time at Ashton Gate ( no change there!!) when the chap in front turned to her and said ( very morosely and to the universal agreement of everyone within earshot) that "a minute was a lifetime at Ashton Gate". She has never forgotten that day and has joined the rest of us in our need for the Major's oil at the end of matches! 

She is 18 now and works part time at the Gate, so maybe look at taking your kids to a match as a pre- employment taster!

On Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 12:20, yardy said:

Yea he is a member thanks for that, i'll contact them this afternoon

I did it for my boys first game a couple of years ago. They present them with the cap pitch side while the players are warming up before the game. My boy got his signed by Wilbs. Great way to introduce them to the club, worthwhile doing.

16 minutes ago, WSMRobin said:

I did it for my boys first game a couple of years ago. They present them with the cap pitch side while the players are warming up before the game. My boy got his signed by Wilbs. Great way to introduce them to the club, worthwhile doing.

I've just arranged it for my lad for Sunday, we have to meet 5 mins before halftime, which seems a bit odd as you miss part of the game!

Edit: have to say though, the kids membership is great value- £20 and you get a complimentary child and adult's ticket to any game next season, membership discount in shop and a welcome pack with a drawstring bag and teddy bear. My lad can't wait for Sunday and he doesn't even know about the cap surprise yet!

On 4 May 2017 at 14:05, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Nothing wrong with taking kids, just don't take a woman. The last time I did that she asked if she should cheer both teams goals, and why the ref kept holding a "yellow ticket" up in the air.

Mind you, this is the same woman that once asked me why the US were bombing Iraq when there was an "air strike" on! :facepalm:

I've given you a 'like', but want to explain it's not because I agree with you but you did make me laugh. We aren't all like her, honest! :sun:

My nieces and nephews, have never shown an interest in football, the eldest is 16, do I risk taking them to the gate? I'd love the answer to be that they suddenly like football, support city and thus we could go to the gate more often.

Has anyone else had family that showed no interest previously but going to the gate sparked interest?

Effin typical my lad has had a sore throat for a couple of days he's woke up today and doesn't feel well at all, coughing and sneezing non stop.

Really really hope he gets better before tomorrow or i'll have one unhappy lad and a even unhappy'er dad!

Yardy, hope your lad made it.

We had a great day today, he loved the atmosphere, stadium and the highlight was getting on the pitch for his first cap.

Amazing stuff, although mildly annoying that City present the cap at half time so you have to wait 5 mins plus injury time in a tunnel where you can't see the game! Still, a minor inconvenience for something that he'll remember for a long time!

IMG_5053.thumb.JPG.1c79959db3e2552423b775388702a56c.JPG

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Yardy, hope your lad made it.

We had a great day today, he loved the atmosphere, stadium and the highlight was getting on the pitch for his first cap.

Amazing stuff, although mildly annoying that City present the cap at half time so you have to wait 5 mins plus injury time in a tunnel where you can't see the game! Still, a minor inconvenience for something that he'll remember for a long time!

IMG_5053.thumb.JPG.1c79959db3e2552423b775388702a56c.JPG

Ahhh that's great, glad your lad enjoyed his day.

My son still had a bit of a cold but it wasn't enough to stop him going. 

He absolutely loved it, i think he was in awe of it all a few times with the amount of people and noise at the ground and especially the atmosphere created when the few brummies celebrated scoring in the home end! :)

A real big thank you to Bristol City for presenting 1st caps on the pitch at half time, its a nice touch and i made my son realise how special it is to be on the hallowed turf of Ashton Gate.

The best thing about the day is my son asked if he can come again.....bloody great result!

IMG_0536.JPG

38 minutes ago, yardy said:

Ahhh that's great, glad your lad enjoyed his day.

My son still had a bit of a cold but it wasn't enough to stop him going. 

He absolutely loved it, i think he was in awe of it all a few times with the amount of people and noise at the ground and especially the atmosphere created when the few brummies celebrated scoring in the home end! :)

A real big thank you to Bristol City for presenting 1st caps on the pitch at half time, its a nice touch and i made my son realise how special it is to be on the hallowed turf of Ashton Gate.

The best thing about the day is my son asked if he can come again.....bloody great result!

IMG_0536.JPG

That's great - mine wants to come back tomorrow. Not bad when we live in Maidenhead, so it's a three hour round trip!

On 2017-5-6 at 04:09, CrazyInWeston said:

My nieces and nephews, have never shown an interest in football, the eldest is 16, do I risk taking them to the gate? I'd love the answer to be that they suddenly like football, support city and thus we could go to the gate more often.

Has anyone else had family that showed no interest previously but going to the gate sparked interest?

Mine was always City from day 1. Went to his first game and was hooked properly.

Myself, I had zero interest in football much to my father's disgust until I was about 10 and got given some complementary tickets. I had nowt better to do so I went. That was it. Completely hoodwinked into City. My dad was well chuffed when I came home that day shouting songs about Shaun Goater and Paul Agostino! 

Archived