IGNORED

Man vs Fat

Thinking about signing up to this next month so interested to know if anyone from here took part in this and what their thoughts/views were on it if so? Did it keep you motivated and would you deem it successful? What was the social side of it like? Most importantly would you recommend it?

Need some motivation to shed some pounds and this seems the perfect way to mix that and football so anyone who took part I would love to hear your views.

Thanks in advance! 

2 hours ago, AdamThurston said:

Hi, 

I am part of this seasons MvF and will be carrying on next season as it has been fantastic. I've lost 2 stone in total and it's been great. Good fun, competitive football and good lads.

Cheers for that @AdamThurston. Did you sign up on your own or have someone with you? Its the signing up on my own that puts me off a bit although I may have someone keen on coming with me.

If you wouldn't mind, could you briefly explain what happens for the 2 hours you are there? I'm guessing that it's not all just playing football. Does this include people weighing in? And is it all confidential?

Would back up that it's a really good motivational concept.

My biggest concern was signing up, as I did it as an individual. But on the registration night alone, met several guys I knew (through work and supporting City). (Only downside, team captain is a Sag, but a steady bloke) The majority are in the same boat as you, so go for it.

A bit older than most at 53, but was very welcomed and played my part for the first few weeks. Unfortunately an old war wound played up and I had to take up a non playing role within the team. The rest of the guys were brilliant and took up the slack of losing a player.

Lost nearly 2 stone or nearly 12% of my weight. Would recommend. Any standard of football is good enough, as long as you are a team player. The thought of letting my team down, kept me motivated.

The routine for a game night is, (If match is at 7pm), turn up about 6:30pm, weigh in, get out on the practice pitch to have a warm up and kick around, ready for your match. Teams of ten, for a six a side match, with rolling subs.

The current group have also arranged an extra game on a Thursday night to keep things going.

We have been given tickets to Sundays game and are going to be in the programme and on the pitch at half time. Dreading the chants of "who ate all the pies" or "you fat B*st*rds"...... But sure as a group, who have lost a lot of weight and got our motivation back, it will push us forward again.

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Cheers for that @AdamThurston. Did you sign up on your own or have someone with you? Its the signing up on my own that puts me off a bit although I may have someone keen on coming with me.

If you wouldn't mind, could you briefly explain what happens for the 2 hours you are there? I'm guessing that it's not all just playing football. Does this include people weighing in? And is it all confidential?

U go for it mate . I done a fitness program to lose weight. Had a bad illness which made me put weight on through medication. Went from being super fit playing good standard of football.  To putting on 3 stone . It destroyed me and my confidence. People used to say **** me whats happened to u and I just used to laugh it off . But inside I was gutted. So I started a gruelling fitness program were I lost the majority of the weight. It's hard but worth it . Like I said just go for it . You only live once and live as long as possible. This program sounds a lot of fun. 

18 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Thinking about signing up to this next month so interested to know if anyone from here took part in this and what their thoughts/views were on it if so? Did it keep you motivated and would you deem it successful? What was the social side of it like? Most importantly would you recommend it?

Need some motivation to shed some pounds and this seems the perfect way to mix that and football so anyone who took part I would love to hear your views.

Thanks in advance! 

I've played this season! Lost 3 stone on mVf and nearly 5 in total. Really motivational! The standard of football is amazing too. All signed up to next season as well. I'd seriously recommend it to you.

4 hours ago, Old Rascal said:

Would back up that it's a really good motivational concept.

My biggest concern was signing up, as I did it as an individual. But on the registration night alone, met several guys I knew (through work and supporting City). (Only downside, team captain is a Sag, but a steady bloke) The majority are in the same boat as you, so go for it.

A bit older than most at 53, but was very welcomed and played my part for the first few weeks. Unfortunately an old war wound played up and I had to take up a non playing role within the team. The rest of the guys were brilliant and took up the slack of losing a player.

Lost nearly 2 stone or nearly 12% of my weight. Would recommend. Any standard of football is good enough, as long as you are a team player. The thought of letting my team down, kept me motivated.

The routine for a game night is, (If match is at 7pm), turn up about 6:30pm, weigh in, get out on the practice pitch to have a warm up and kick around, ready for your match. Teams of ten, for a six a side match, with rolling subs.

The current group have also arranged an extra game on a Thursday night to keep things going.

We have been given tickets to Sundays game and are going to be in the programme and on the pitch at half time. Dreading the chants of "who ate all the pies" or "you fat B*st*rds"...... But sure as a group, who have lost a lot of weight and got our motivation back, it will push us forward again.

6 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

I've played this season! Lost 3 stone on mVf and nearly 5 in total. Really motivational! The standard of football is amazing too. All signed up to next season as well. I'd seriously recommend it to you.

Cheers guys really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it's certainly worth giving it ago. 

Its that fear of letting people down I'm hoping will be the motivation, as well as the obvious competition!

Will get myself signed up 

11 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

WTF is that?  I'm a lardass and despite cycling over 80 miles per week I can't seem to shake it off.  It's not fair.  Boo hoo hoo :grr:

What u eat and drink is probably more important than the exercise. U can train as hard as u want. But if u eat crap and drink to much u will never see the results. Not saying u do mind

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

WTF is that?  I'm a lardass and despite cycling over 80 miles per week I can't seem to shake it off.  It's not fair.  Boo hoo hoo :grr:

The below is all based on personal experience.

Cycling is incredibly efficient at turning energy into movement.  Also, it's very easy to coast/cruise along.  It's therefore not the best for weightloss.  Now I know Bristol is hilly and so you're probably already doing plenty of hills but to get any meaningful fitness from cycling you need to be doing hard (hr at 170bpm plus), fast (18/19mph average), hilly (two or three big hills totalling 3,000ft gain) rides of 30miles+.

Otherwise, I'd say mix in some running. Two or three 30min runs a week will help hugely.  You can't coast when you run. You'll always, always force your body to work hard and burn a ton of calories. If you struggle with running then this Man v Fat football thing sounds great.

Cycle to the game, play the match, cycle home. As @Red Army 75 says, then eat well - just well, not super-vegan peas and carrots only - but just decent home cooked food. You'll be a svelte skinny minny in no time - and then you'll fly up Park St on your bike.

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It's all held at South Bristol Sports Centre (imperial rugby ground on West Town Lane). 

You turn up approx 30 minutes before your match time, weigh then go on the pitch. It is all very open, with about 20 blokes, getting ready in the skittle alley behind the bar! Most guys just say lost or gained after the weigh in. You then get an email giving you all you're stats.

You can ask the guys doing the scales questions (usually Geoff from the Community Trust) but the motivation comes from you and your team.

The match is then 2 x 14 minute halves. On average you are there for about an hour. The group and each team use Whatsapp to keep in touch during the week.

It is also up to you what diet or weight loss programme you follow. The guys in our team are following weight watchers, slimming world, harcombe (me). 

Finally its £7 per week and a registration fee. This pays for pitch hire, it is up to you to get your kit. 

PM me for anymore info.

Andy

On 05/05/2017 at 06:48, formerly known as ivan said:

Cheers guys really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it's certainly worth giving it ago. 

Its that fear of letting people down I'm hoping will be the motivation, as well as the obvious competition!

Will get myself signed up 

I played football with you for five years and not once did it bother you when you let us down :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Old Rascal said:

Thought I would bump this as registration for season 2 is tomorrow night. Only a few places left.

A weekly game of football and weight loss during the summer, what else would you be doing?

Having been on a weight loss & health kick since new year I'm really tempted by this, as a new addition and motivation. 

My only issue is picking my son up on Monday nights. What is the latest that you end up getting away, assuming kick off times differ for each team each week..? 

Cheers. 

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:48, formerly known as ivan said:

My father always said to me that he who travels alone travels fastest. And that lone travellers will always make friends on the way if one wants to. So Ivan, go for it.

Ps. I still walk our dog at least two miles a day and have stayed reasonably fit for a 74 year old.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Having been on a weight loss & health kick since new year I'm really tempted by this, as a new addition and motivation. 

My only issue is picking my son up on Monday nights. What is the latest that you end up getting away, assuming kick off times differ for each team each week..? 

Cheers. 

With 8 teams for the new season, last match would finish at 9. 

Geoff will have all the match times out before the season starts, so you will know well in advance. Just let your team know if you can't make a week or need to leave early. It's all very flexible.

Went to registration Monday night and really looking forward to starting to play some football on Mondays. Met my new teammates (as good fortune would have it I am in the team that @Old Rascal was in last season) and although it's their second season they were very welcoming and feel part of the team already. As well as that I have been, albeit only two days in, feeling very motivated in eating the right things and even went for a lunchtime run today.

Early days yet but given I almost talked myself out of it by not wanting to join on my own, I am certainly glad I joined. They are still looking for players so anyone who is thinking about it the best advice I can give you from someone in that position is go for it!

As for cost they take a monthly fee of £25 which to me is great as there is nothing worse than having to run around before a game trying to find £6 every week!

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Went to registration Monday night and really looking forward to starting to play some football on Mondays. Met my new teammates (as good fortune would have it I am in the team that @Old Rascal was in last season) and although it's their second season they were very welcoming and feel part of the team already. As well as that I have been, albeit only two days in, feeling very motivated in eating the right things and even went for a lunchtime run today.

Early days yet but given I almost talked myself out of it by not wanting to join on my own, I am certainly glad I joined. They are still looking for players so anyone who is thinking about it the best advice I can give you from someone in that position is go for it!

As for cost they take a monthly fee of £25 which to me is great as there is nothing worse than having to run around before a game trying to find £6 every week!

Good for you 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Well done mate, really can make a difference. I let things go for a few years after the army and this programme has got me motivated again.

Have to sit this season out, waiting for an op, but hope to get back again for season 3. Will be down to see the boys play at some time though.

Would recommend it to anybody, signing up is sometimes the hardest part, making that commitment. Even if you don't play football, you can be a non playing team member. Think, as of yesterday, there were about 6 places left out of a max of 80.

Archived