IGNORED

Manager of the Month

Bob Binalong

Have I missed the thread on here either berating or praising the organisers for nominating  our manager for Manager of the Month.

johnson-shortlisted-for-award-3704702.aspx

Well done Lee. It seems it just the blindly prejudiced and over vocal few on here who fail to see the obvious talent that our manager has.

2 months in a row now. Shows he's done a really good job to see us safe. Makes you question why we struggled so much. I've been a bit more patient with him than many but was frustrated at times. He does seem to make young players better with Brownhill, O'Dowda and Tammy better players now than August. I'm willing to call this a steep learning curve for him but we've got to have a less stressful season next time out. Was a new league for him with so many new signings(partly his fault) so I hope he's nominated for even more next season. 

2 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

Have I missed the thread on here either berating or praising the organisers for nominating  our manager for Manager of the Month.

Well done Lee. It seems it just the blindly prejudiced and over vocal few on here who fail to see the obvious talent that our manager has.

We got the results we desperately required to stay in this division so fair play.

**** manager of the month though, what the use is that, let's try a ******* season next year shall we?

Blindly prejudiced?  Bizarre comment based on our entire season.  

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I mean the first few posts trying to dig people out to score points , it's petty and pathetic. Schoolboy stuff

I think maybe the comments are aimed at some posters who refuse to recognise anything positive that LJ might have a part in.

Posters will never agree on a forum and why should they. But not being able to acknowledge when we start to do ok is a bit strange to say the least. 

and plenty of well balanced, fair minded individuals that have yet to be convinced.

Well done on Lee for the form in recent weeks. Keep it up next season and more of us will be convinced.

I should point out that the season lasts 8 months getting nominated 1 month means nothing and if you look at the middle 3 months it is good job there is no worse manager of the month award.

I am very pleased that we are staying up and congratulations to Lee for the success this month but for me he has not yet proved anything to me.

You are over reacting to one month's success.

1 hour ago, iamsober said:

you reply to everything else. Bit slow on this occasion

I know the constant knocking by some can get annoying but Bobbobsuperbob literally made a thread giving credit for the end season form and offering to eat humble pie. Don't think he needs to answer anything here.

47 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

I know the constant knocking by some can get annoying but Bobbobsuperbob literally made a thread giving credit for the end season form and offering to eat humble pie. Don't think he needs to answer anything here.

yes I think we should call it a draw, the people that were moaning about LJ earlier had every reason to do so, and now we have finished well those that support LJ are entitled to also be happy. 

1 hour ago, rogerf said:

I should point out that the season lasts 8 months getting nominated 1 month means nothing and if you look at the middle 3 months it is good job there is no worse manager of the month award.

I am very pleased that we are staying up and congratulations to Lee for the success this month but for me he has not yet proved anything to me.

You are over reacting to one month's success.

Well it is two in a row.

So for at least a quarter of the season he managed the best form side in the division.

Iirc he got a nomination early in the season too. That would be 3/8 months. Which is a decent record of nominations to have over a season despite what has been a slightly disappointing season for us.

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

yes I think we should call it a draw, the people that were moaning about LJ earlier had every reason to do so, and now we have finished well those that support LJ are entitled to also be happy. 

Pillred are you from the UN peacekeeping force?!

if you are right and it is currently a draw then I predict a win AET and penalties for LJ. Yes it's been that close. 

9 hours ago, allyolly said:

I think maybe the comments are aimed at some posters who refuse to recognise anything positive that LJ might have a part in.

Posters will never agree on a forum and why should they. But not being able to acknowledge when we start to do ok is a bit strange to say the least. 

For the majority I would say the Jury is still out on Johnson-his vaunted third window is on the horizon so the pressure is on.

Pretty sure that if there had been a similar award for the worse manager who had stayed in his job LJ would have won it on more than one occasion this season.

I'm pleased we have stayed up and hope that he gets MOTM this time because the team deserve the recognistion. However we shouldn't forget the disasterous mid season and some strange team selection that have left us happy to avoid relegation.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well it is two in a row.

So for at least a quarter of the season he managed the best form side in the division.

Iirc he got a nomination early in the season too. That would be 3/8 months. Which is a decent record of nominations to have over a season despite what has been a slightly disappointing season for us.

Id call this season worse than "slightly disappointing" .... ******* shite would be my description. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

Not interested in this award. I still want to see an new manager in charge next season

Who would you hope to see replace LJ if he were to go today. For the record I think you're wrong to think that he should leave. 

12 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Id call this season worse than "slightly disappointing" .... ******* shite would be my description. 

I've been watching City for over 50 years now and our finishing position this season will be something like the 20th best during that period.  Hard then to regard the season as either disastrous or ******* shite on that basis.

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I've been watching City for over 50 years now and our finishing position this season will be something like the 20th best during that period.  Hard then to regard the season as either disastrous or ******* shite on that basis.

If there have been 30 worse seasons than this then fair play to you for sticking with this club. 

The phrase "roller-coaster season" really does apply here.  LJ's been nominated for 'Manager of the Month' in 3 of the season's 9 months.

August - excellent.  Winning 5 out 7 games with the only 2 losses being competitive 1-0 defeats to Newcastle and Norwich.  LJ nominated for manager of the month.

September - very good.  A tricky start to the month with frustrating draws to Rotherham and Derby surrounding a bizarre 3-2 loss to Sheffield Wednesday.  Month finished strong with back to back wins against Fulham and a solid 1-0 home win against a strong Leeds team

October - mixed - month was a little mixed with disappointing defeats at Cardiff and QPR, as well as a somewhat frustrating league cup exit against Hull side that were perhaps there for the taking.  Important (especially looking back now) wins against Blackburn and Forest steadied us though and ensured that we finished the month still in the top 6.

November - disappointing - only 3 games in the month due to an international break saw us losing all 3 games but 2 under somewhat unfortunate circumstances.  A 2-0 loss against Brighton started us off on a bad note, followed by 2 unlucky defeats away to Birmingham and Reading.  I thought we were the better team against Birmingham and the Reading game saw a number of big refereeing decisions go against us.

December - awful - Started well with a decent home win against Ipswich, followed by a shock 5 defeats in a row - all by just a single goal, but defeats nonetheless.

January - the month of throwaways, pointless cup games and a slight corner-turn - January saw us throw away leads against Reading and Cardiff, while our form picked up slightly against Fleetwood in the FA Cup before getting knocked out by Burnley anyway.  The month ended with a good draw against Sheffield Wednesday where we looked to finally be returning to the team of early season.

February - poor, more wasted leads - Another poor month with more defeats, and ultimately decent draws at Derby and Newcastle, although having lead 3-0 and 2-0 in each, to only get 2 points from them is a poor return.

March - very good.  A disappointing start with draws against Burton and Norwich was followed by good wins against Wigan and Huddersfield.  Ending the month unbeaten was huge and saw us go into April with real confidence that we could finish the season strong.  LJ nominated for manager of the month..

April - *ahem* excellent - 2 terrible losses at Brentford and Preston made LJ's nomination look like a sick joke, but following that hiccup we've returned to being excellent again.  4 wins out of 5 sees us finishing the season clear of trouble and with renewed optimism following 4 months of anger, frustration and finger pointing.

Basically of the 9 months of the season, I think: 3 have been great, 3 have been mixed, and 3 have been awful.

Let's hope next season's "roller-coaster" is a little more stable at the top end.

1 hour ago, #roe said:

3 have been great, 3 have been mixed, and 3 have been awful.

Split the 45 matches into 3 and you get:

1-15, 24 points at 1.6 points per game

16-30, 8 points at 0.53 points per game

31-45, 22 points at 1.46 points per game

So yeh, a season of three halves.

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

You might, but I'm not in the habit of overreacting.

I was expecting us to finish around 14th and we will end up 1-3 places lower. So "slightly disappointing" fits quite well.

Archived