IGNORED

When all is said and done...

Tangle Foot

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And me - really not convinced I'd want to be part of the Prem Circus though I understand a lot / most would

Getting there would be a lot more fun than being there IMO

Ive always said over the years , as you say above - established in this league and targeting a few cup runs would be great

That's exactly what lots of Brighton fans said to me on Saturday. They were looking forward to playing the south coast and London teams as they were easy journeys but said the gulf in the big Prem teams and the others was too much it was unreal. They had really loved the Championship this season, naturally and enjoying their party now. They said if they could do it all again they would but the Premiership was going to be far more stressful and wins harder to come by. It's a huge leap for sure. 

As for us, just a season we don't have to be stressing about relegation please. 10th or 12th will do me. 

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You seem like a glass half empty kinda guy.......... ....:dunno:

None of us have a crystal ball so are completely unable to predict how things will go next season.

City are finishing the season well and that's good sign. LJ finally has a settled team so that good as well.

There will be some new signings in the summer so that another positive.

LJ has had another full season of experience in the SBC and will have benefited from it so that's another positive sign.

Yet you say we'll struggle to survive..........:facepalm:

First we have to replace Tammy no easy task and even with him we struggled for a record breaking number of games; if we do find another Tammy and if we actually sign players we actually play we may repeat this seasons poor efforts. Because and I say again we only secured safety a week ago; now you may choose to ignore that but I cant; I can also remember a manager desperately searching for a team that could win a game..any game and made some really baffling choices, I think it took a reading of the riot act by SL to have any effect.

I had belief and high hopes in us then we played Hull at Wembers vowed then never to get high hopes again, so yes half empty will do ...less painfull.

Look forget all this mid table mediocrity for next season , we will be playing in Europe within 4 years (or so we have been told) so we really need to get promoted next season , consolidate for a year or 2 in the Premiership before our assault on the Champions League.

A play off place is a reasonable expectation for next season, everyone said Huddersfield would struggle and they've done more than ok

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Genuinely don't know what to expect next season 

Normally you are able to have a decent idea but not sure anyone can know atm

A steady 1.5 pts / game consistently through the season would be fine 

2015/16 final positions

17 - Reading

18 - Bristol City

19 - Huddersfield

20 - Fulham

2016/17 (after 45 games)

4 - Reading

5 - Huddersfield

6 - Fulham

17 - Bristol City

What went wrong? We missed the bus that those other three all jumped on.  Or you can look at it and say that next season's play-offs will be the loser of this season's play off final plus Ipswich, QPR and...us?

True that I've selected certain teams but I think it shows that this league is crazy enough that you can go from the sublime to the ridiculous or from the depths to the heady heights in the turn of a few short months.

Also, I agree. 1.5 ppg gets you 69 points.  69 always means a pleasing position.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

2015/16 final positions

17 - Reading

18 - Bristol City

19 - Huddersfield

20 - Fulham

2016/17 (after 45 games)

4 - Reading

5 - Huddersfield

6 - Fulham

17 - Bristol City

What went wrong? We missed the bus that those other three all jumped on.  Or you can look at it and say that next season's play-offs will be the loser of this season's play off final plus Ipswich, QPR and...us?

True that I've selected certain teams but I think it shows that this league is crazy enough that you can go from the sublime to the ridiculous or from the depths to the heady heights in the turn of a few short months.

Also, I agree. 1.5 ppg gets you 69 points.  69 always means a pleasing position.

Amazing that really - good post

Sort of sums up the Championship !!!!!!

Last season, we were safe at the end of the 44th game (Blackburn away). We were 12 points above the drop, finishing in 18th.

This year, we could finish as high as 15th but it took 45 games to be safe from relegation and the maximum points we can get between us and third bottom is 9. 

So, a mixed bag there. Better than Forest and Birmingham but trailing Preston and Barnsley (and the 3 sides around us - above and below - at the foot of the Championship last season, now sitting in the play offs: Reading, Huddersfield & Fulham); and 2 points ahead of minnows Burton. You can argue the Championship is stronger this year, looking at the points needed to finish 4th bottom, for example. Good job, then, the head coach was very well backed in the transfer market and did not want for new players or resources. It might not be any easier next season.

No idea what to make of next season. It has been feast or famine with LJ thus far. Some of the attacking football - with Taylor alongside Tammy - has been very easy on the eye; some of the defending, or capitulating, only for sore eyes. But for a club in our condition, averaging 19k, two seasons in this league under our belt now, the coaching team rejigged, tactical experiments tried and tested/found out/exposed, our young players "for the future" one year more experienced, etc etc, there are only two options next season: make progress or make (more) excuses.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Look forget all this mid table mediocrity for next season , we will be playing in Europe within 4 years (or so we have been told) so we really need to get promoted next season , consolidate for a year or 2 in the Premiership before our assault on the Champions League.

A play off place is a reasonable expectation for next season, everyone said Huddersfield would struggle and they've done more than ok

Who thought Huddersfield would struggle after the Summer that they had..?! 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Who thought Huddersfield would struggle after the Summer that they had..?! 

Holloway, and that Chris whatshisname off the telly, Sat evenings (C5), both predicted bottom 3 for Huddersfield! Nuff said.....

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

Holloway, and that Chris whatshisname off the telly, Sat evenings (C5), both predicted bottom 3 for Huddersfield! Nuff said.....

That must have been the end of last season, rather that the start of this..?

Holding on for wins at Derby & Newcastle would have meant four more points, This would have brought City to safety and mid table obscurity several weeks ago. Better still, it would have generated confidence & self belief in the players which may have produced better results elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

But huddersfield have a good manager.

It took 15 million or so quid, and a once in a generation loan striker to secure us about 5 extra points over last season, i think with a net transfer spend of about 100 million we might make the play offs?

Would love to be proved wrong, but i cant see any reason to think next year will be better, or any reason to trust lj with more new players on long contracts who play for a few games then he decides he cant trust. 

And more importantly, if we dont find another kodjia / tammy to carry us, we are in big trouble.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

Isn't it a pity that we have all lowered our expectations so much that just finishing somewhere in the middle is deemed a success.

I don't think its a case of lowered expectations. I think its a case of most fans are so battle weary that we can't take much more of the day to day struggle! If we have a quiet season next then I for one would welcome the break. Then maybe we can have another reach for the stars the season after.

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I don't think its a case of lowered expectations. I think its a case of most fans are so battle weary that we can't take much more of the day to day struggle! If we have a quiet season next then I for one would welcome the break. Then maybe we can have another reach for the stars the season after.

Indeed. If next season City finish mid table then I'd see that as consolidation.. 

10 hours ago, pillred said:

Isn't it a pity that we have all lowered our expectations so much that just finishing somewhere in the middle is deemed a success.

Thing is we are not historically a top half of a the Championship club and we have an unfortunate habit of getting ourselves relegated to League One. I'd love to challenge for promotion but, if we could get to a point where we were stable in the league, had an outside chance of promotion but knew that, even if we had a bad season, we'd be unlikely to be seriously threatened with relegation, that would be a step forward and a platform we could build on. I'm not saying getting to the position where, for example, Cardiff or Ipswich have been in recent seasons of being effectively stable in the Championship would be particularly sexy or exciting but it would be progress. 

18 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

:laugh: - yes laughing my f-ing head off.

So...millions and millions spent, City's worse manager in history still at the helm, a striker who kept City up who isn't even a city player, potentially 5 points better than last season...................your a joke right?

LJ has made his mistakes for sure but let's be honest here. Even if he walked on water, you'd start grumbling about why he couldn't swim...

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Late in the season LJ eventually found his favoured 11 and since then results have improved which should bode well for next season.

However........LJ has also said that there will be "2 or 3" additions to the squad over the summer so will that mean that he'll struggle again to find a reliable starting 11?

Lets bloody hope not.......:facepalm:

Our best players from this year will probably move on which means LJ will have to start the process all over again. 

:shocking:

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Holding on for wins at Derby & Newcastle would have meant four more points, This would have brought City to safety and mid table obscurity several weeks ago. Better still, it would have generated confidence & self belief in the players which may have produced better results elsewhere.

You could just as easily add on Sheff Weds Away and Reading at home. 

Think it was somewhere else where debate raged about our finest ever season.  

Some were comparing the Cotterill double season to 1976.  

I was not alive in 1976 but I didn't need to be alive then to tell you now that the delivery of Bristol City to the top flight will eclipse anything at Ashton Gate I have witnessed since then.  

Barring the atmosphere being sanitised out of it, now (being told: Understand bounderies.  No Running on the Pitch").  Like they're you're Dad.  

Dark forces of the human soul at work there. Can't stand social control.  No wonder there's so many mental health problems and the Government can't cope with the NHS bill for it.  Wrong, narcissistic t wat heads in charge, is why (deffo not BS Sport or the Torys, for clarification).  More a general point.

I think some of us get a bit caught up in the context of City's best ever season, though :) . Mine is yet to come !!

18 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Think it was somewhere else where debate raged about our finest ever season.  

Some were comparing the Cotterill double season to 1976.  

I was not alive in 1976 but I didn't need to be alive then to tell you now that the delivery of Bristol City to the top flight will eclipse anything at Ashton Gate I have witnessed since then.  

Barring the atmosphere being sanitised out of it, now (being told: Understand bounderies.  No Running on the Pitch").  Like they're you're Dad.  

Dark forces of the human soul at work there. Can't stand social control.  No wonder there's so many mental health problems and the Government can't cope with the NHS bill for it.  Wrong, narcissistic t wat heads in charge, is why (deffo not BS Sport or the Torys, for clarification).  More a general point.

I think some of us get a bit caught up in the context of City's best ever season, though :) . Mine is yet to come !!

you absolute bastard you just made me feel old , I'm not sure he wanted to be felt.

On 05/05/2017 at 11:07, Thatch35 said:

:laugh: - yes laughing my f-ing head off.

So...millions and millions spent, City's worse manager in history still at the helm, a striker who kept City up who isn't even a city player, potentially 5 points better than last season...................your a joke right?

No, no joke snatch35 :rofl2br:

When all is said and done, we finished one place higher (17th) and with 2 more points (54) than last season, winning more and losing more than 2015/16. But last season we were 12 points clear, this year only 3 (effectively, 4 with GD).

3 points better than relegated Blackburn.

16 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Just had a count up of the honours of teams that finished below us:-

• European Cup / Champions League  1
  • First division / Premier league  4
  • FA Cup wins  9
  • League cup wins 7

Have we found our level? 

Nottm Forest won the European Cup twice, finbarr. A bloody long time ago, mind.........

Archived